Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Books You'd Love To See Adapted Into CRPG's

Aqualung

Dead duck
Patron
Insert Title Here
xgA68zW.jpg

GxFfAgi.jpg

and
mXnxBes.jpg

:shredder:

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Another vote for Glen Cook's Black Company.

I'd like to see something set in the world of Polanksy's Low Town series, although that series is so fixated on the MC that I'm not sure how much material exists without him.

Also, Feargus paid me $1 to say Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, so he can now finally force Obsidian to make the UF he keeps bleating about in interviews.

Citizen

The novel reads like a typical RPG character progression story. But how do you think long range jaunting could be implemented in cRPG? Just "teleport" between locations instead of travelling on a global space map? Like mage's teleport in arcanum?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Another for the Gaean Reach. By Crom what a setting.

A game in the combined works of Rafael Sabatini would be fun, lots of swashbuckling action as you play a condottieri taking advantage of all the various conflicts in play.

vazha

Arcane

A game in the combined works of Rafael Sabatini would be fun, lots of swashbuckling action as you play a condottieri taking advantage of all the various conflicts in play.
Corsairs 3 (also known as Age of Pirates 2 or Sea Dogs 2) has Captain Blood as one of possible protagonists (plantation intro) and the fan mods take it even further. Worth checking out.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Corsairs 3 (also known as Age of Pirates 2 or Sea Dogs 2) has Captain Blood as one of possible protagonists (plantation intro) and the fan mods take it even further. Worth checking out.
Played enough city of abandoned ships and frankly the book is better. Peter Blood is cool and all, but I'd rather play as the Sea Hawk than Piotr Blad for a change.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron

Played enough city of abandoned ships and frankly the book is better. Peter Blood is cool and all, but I'd rather play as the Sea Hawk than Piotr Blad for a change.
You might want to check out Blood and Gold Caribbean though. It is basically Mount and Blade and Ship.

mondblut

Arcane
Naturally, Rabelais' The Horrible and Terrifying Deeds and Words of the Very Renowned Pantagruel King of the Dipsodes, Son of the Great Giant Gargantua, c.1532.

iu

When food items restore mana or HPs, most RPGs qualify as pretty faithful adaptations of Rabelais.

mondblut

Arcane
Now that all the edgy sex and Hitler jokes I could have made were already told by others,

the two books I'd love to see faithfully adapted into CRPG's are AD&D Player's Guide and AD&D Dungeon Master's Guide.

Unfortunately, we'll sooner see a Mein Fifty Shades of Kampf adaptation.

Dyspaire

Cipher
Ringworld.

Any story you want to tell is there. There's plenty of room.

About 10 years ago this topic came up here once before. Someone else suggested Ringworld, (honestly it could have been me. it's been a while), and I got curious as to whether the rights for Known Space and Ringworld were still available in regard to game development.

It took about 10 minutes to find Larry Niven's personal email address. I might have found it on Jerry Pournelle's old blog, maybe. I emailed and asked him, and the man himself replied a few days later informing me they were.

The ship has probably long sailed on a Known Space crpg... but 10 years ago it was still crazy to me that the game rights were still up for grabs.

(played both Tsunami adventure games, and am aware Amazon? is supposedly doing a show.)

nikolokolus

Arcane
  • The completely bat-shit insane, alternate-Earth of Michael Moorcock's Jerry Cornelius stories would be a herculean effort to emulate in a game and get the tone right; likely doomed to failure, but possibly a spectacular failure worth seeing.
  • Hiero Desteen duology by Sterling Lanier -- sort of a precursor to Gamma World.
  • Fritz Leiber's Lankhmar setting. The PC wouldn't have to necessarily be either Fafhrd and/or Grey Mouser to be interesting, but on the other hand, that might be fun.
  • I'm sure somebody already said it above, but Jack Vance's Dying Earth has plenty of directions to go: Rhialto-level high magic setup, or a low-magic Cugel-level game.

Last edited:

mihai

Educated
Books? None. Any individual story will most of the time translate poorly too an RPG.
Book settings? Yes please: [...]

exactly. Dune was mentioned a few times... using that setting would be cool. Like your party is part of a renegade house, traveling through the systems, uncovering some harkonnen plot and trying to restore your house to its former glory. Your party members could be created from different classes and races, Bene Gesserit, Tleilaxu, Fremen, what have you. Conversations with the enemy would be simulated by combat mechanics, with hit points for mental sanity/ ability, skills for detecting that little drop of sweat that indicates a new dialogue attack possibility.

But retelling Paul's story? Being able to see the futute? Both impossible and boring. RPGs are for playing, not for being consumed like a story.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom