Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
live countdown with some gud music

Cael

Arcane
Today is the day
Day of the:

f30.gif

And Avatar ain't the best movie ever made either, I agree. I know it's the pretty CGI and 3D that made it a hit though, and it's the open world exploration that makes Bethesda games industry leaders. Is what it is.

It'd be interesting to see stats on how much of their user base uses fast travel to skip that open world exploration while playing, or would like to have access to fast travel without the need to go their first. They haven't really had interesting open areas to explore since Morrowind, and the between towns sections don't offer different kinds of gameplay like Mad Max does with the car combat. Remember playing Fallout 3 and finding the wasteland to just be a fucking chore, especially the city maze sections you're funneled into to get to other areas.

I'd bet they could get away with something more like the original games and sell just as much, (especially if they sell it as a positive) where you've got these towns areas you can go into, you use fast travel to travel the huge nothing wasteland, and sometimes you'll find something on the world map that's a secret. Minus the world map aspect it wouldn't really be all that different from how something like Assassin's Creed handled it's open world areas in most of its titles.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Tabitha’s base

An open mountain where you pretty much just kill Super Mutants until you get to their leader? Yeah...

:nocountryforshitposters:

Are you implying my reductionism is wrong? There's no interaction with the Super Mutants beyond "kill them".

That said, I just remembered you can find Raul there. Then again, it's still a location not remembered for the "exploration" it provides to the player, as there's nothing to explore: it's just a winding road up the mountain with two buildings at the top, hardly what I would call "exploration".

EDIT:

HELIOS would be another location similar to REPCONN, now that I think about it.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
It would be nice if the Fallout 76 was supposed to be what that axed Interplay project was supposed to be

You will create a character to represent yourself within the game world. Your character will be a hardy adventurer from a variety of backgrounds: one of the last remaining humans; a new breed mutant; or a technologically advanced cyborg. The choice is yours.
"Once you have determined your character's background, you will found your 'colony'. From a deserted city, a broken down military base or even the ruins of an oil pumping station, the colony will be yours to build and control.
"Attract non-player characters for guards, peons, scientists and other activities. Or if you are the type that so desires, shanghai the NPCs. Put them to work rebuilding your society and improving your colony.
"Meanwhile you will experience grand adventures to gather the resources and ancient technologies as well as fight back the enemy hordes. Your character will gain experience, advance skills, learn new talents and gain access to incredibly powerful equipment. Or die trying.
"Explore the world, meet friends and fight your neighbours for control of resources. PV13 will be your chance to rebuild a devastated world."

This is the game Bethesda should be doing from the start.... we will see today.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
It would be nice if the Fallout 76 was supposed to be what that axed Interplay project was supposed to be
You will create a character to represent yourself within the game world. Your character will be a hardy adventurer from a variety of backgrounds: one of the last remaining humans; a new breed mutant; or a technologically advanced cyborg. The choice is yours."
This is the game Bethesda should be doing from the start.... we will see today.
iirc obsidian devs said that they wanted playable ghouls and supermutants in FNV, but bethesda programmers warned them that it would be a pain in the ass to implement on their janky engine.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Tabitha’s base

An open mountain where you pretty much just kill Super Mutants until you get to their leader? Yeah...

:nocountryforshitposters:

Are you implying my reductionism is wrong? There's no interaction with the Super Mutants beyond "kill them".

You can use the radio to fuck with them/piss them off/lure them away. And there is interactivity with Raul, multiple options with Tabitha. To imply the area is nothing but a shooting gallery is bullshit.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
You can use the radio to fuck with them/piss them off/lure them away. And there is interactivity with Raul, multiple options with Tabitha. To imply the area is nothing but a shooting gallery is bullshit.

Glorified shooting gallery, then? It still boils down to Tabitha and Raul. Exploration is basically non-existing.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It'd be interesting to see stats on how much of their user base uses fast travel to skip that open world exploration while playing, or would like to have access to fast travel without the need to go their first. They haven't really had interesting open areas to explore since Morrowind, and the between towns sections don't offer different kinds of gameplay like Mad Max does with the car combat. Remember playing Fallout 3 and finding the wasteland to just be a fucking chore, especially the city maze sections you're funneled into to get to other areas.

I'd bet they could get away with something more like the original games and sell just as much, (especially if they sell it as a positive) where you've got these towns areas you can go into, you use fast travel to travel the huge nothing wasteland, and sometimes you'll find something on the world map that's a secret. Minus the world map aspect it wouldn't really be all that different from how something like Assassin's Creed handled it's open world areas in most of its titles.

I have a good friend who is barely a gamer at all anymore but he plays the fuck out of Bethesda games and he basically just wanders around and does goofy shit. I mean let's be honest, what the fuck else would people be playing those games for?

Cael

Arcane
I have a good friend who is barely a gamer at all anymore but he plays the fuck out of Bethesda games and he basically just wanders around and does goofy shit. I mean let's be honest, what the fuck else would people be playing those games for?
I do the same with Ultima 6 and 7 and Fallout 2. I don't do it with Bethesda walking sims. There is just something about isometric that makes it so much more fun to do goofy stuff with.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron

Glorified shooting gallery, then? It still boils down to Tabitha and Raul. Exploration is basically non-existing.
You can boil anything down. FO boils down to taking care of the Master, you either kill him or talk him. Wow, great game.
Having said that, yes, NV as a whole could be called a "glorified shooting gallery", a pretty good one.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Fallout 1 Power Armor, 4x times bigger than Fallout 4 , the first info....... they are doing their homework

Turjan

Arcane

You can boil anything down. FO boils down to taking care of the Master, you either kill him or talk him. Wow, great game.
Having said that, yes, NV as a whole could be called a "glorified shooting gallery", a pretty good one.
Isn't the classic for FO "It's just some giant fetch quest!!!"?

Turjan

Arcane
Fallout 1 Power Armor, 4x times bigger than Fallout 4 , the first info....... they are doing their homework
If it's really about building, they would have to make some major overhaul of the engine. Think of vault 88. It's underground, so no Boston to be rendered, and it's split into 4 sections, but you still can't use all space they give you for building because the engine can't cope with it.

Allyriadil

Educated
The world looks boring as fuck. Bethesda said it will be 4 times the size of Fallout 4 whew.
Why can't they learn from Gothic, size =/= quality.

Squid

Arbiter
Let's hope to see more than that tonight. 4x map size makes me think it's even more collecting, building, and crafting than before.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The world looks boring as fuck. Bethesda said it will be 4 times the size of Fallout 4 whew.
Why can't they learn from Gothic, size =/= quality.

Because as they’ve made their worlds larger and larger, their games have sold more and more copies. That’s a tough lesson to ignore.

4 times the size and 4 times as shallow!

orcinator

Liturgist
Took them long enough to make a fallout set decades after the bombs fell instead of a fallout that's set centuries after the bombs fell but looks like it's set decades after the bombs fell.
Wonder how they'll stick the Brotherhood of Steel and Super Mutants in it though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom