Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Shadenuat

Arcane
fort deadlight spoilah
You don't need the flag, you can literally sail in, climb wall with 1 hook and that's it.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
fort deadlight spoilah
You don't need the flag, you can literally sail in, climb wall with 1 hook and that's it.
I didn't suspect there was any other way than the spoilered one.

my problems with the factions are that:

- the reputations with them matter jackshit, i dunno how you'd even manage to go into deep negatives unless you are stupid
- you hear all the time about zomg how they are supposed to be competing, but it doesn't really translate into any tangible things in the game itself
- they are nothing more than glorified quest dispensers
- they are generic as shit for this kind of setting (yohoho poirates, fantasy jew vailians, naive natives, rauatai who like guns)

their leaders are for the most part cardboard cutouts too, except the huana queen, who I think is one of the stronger characters in the game, if not the strongest - because she's so pathetic and weak but she has to keep up appearances and try to make sure the others don't exploit her weaknesses, which in turn can be delightfully exploited by the protag

"yeah, i just made your watershapers useless - you gonna do something about it, or just stand there and bleed?"
Looks like you are in shape for the revio. Go for it!

Here's some random trivia - the bagpipes in the bathhouse are out of tune. They might be Scottish or something, I know some of their notes are usually out of tune.
What about the bagpipes that sometimes play in taverns. Horrible. I don't know if they did that on purpose, as if the player is inept, but I guess not.

Parabalus

Arcane
although fwiw freeing the dergon under tikitaka and then going 'u mad? :troll: ' at the queen was p funny

There's an even better moment where you troll the queen (+attendees) pretty hard if you work for any faction other than Huana, after the "endgame" begins.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
What about the bagpipes that sometimes play in taverns. Horrible. I don't know if they did that on purpose, as if the player is inept, but I guess not.

I caught it in the bathhouse because I had my volume louder than I usually set it at and I could actually hear the music. I'll listen in the tavern as well. Usually, "folk" instruments are out of tune because folk music doesn't have equal temperament, obviously, so I won't be surprised if the instruments themselves are just out of tune by default. It's pretty awful in this context, yeah, it's usually not this distracting and venomous sounding when the bagpipes are alone in a folk setting.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
No, it's somehow connected to the number of savegames (across all characters) that you have. Delete or backup old savegames and characters from previous playthroughs and it will improve. The savegame size grows as you play more of course, so that's also a factor. The game has to record somewhere the state of more and more areas.
The recently-released Battletech game experienced the same issue with a larger number of save-game files causing loading times to increase substantially (not just in the save/load menu). :M

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Ah, the sweet, delicious irony, when the self-proclaimed hardcore gamers who claim to be crushing every fight, turn out to be furious savescummers, playing every second of the game with hand anxiously hanging over the F5 and living in constant terror that every small group of xaurips can mean a full party wipe.

:excellent:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Even if that was the case, there's only one quicksave slot, so you can't fill up your folder with them. :p Nice try, though.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
No, it's somehow connected to the number of savegames (across all characters) that you have. Delete or backup old savegames and characters from previous playthroughs and it will improve. The savegame size grows as you play more of course, so that's also a factor. The game has to record somewhere the state of more and more areas.
The recently-released Battletech game experienced the same issue with a larger number of save-game files causing loading times to increase substantially (not just in the save/load menu). :M
This is a known problem for PoE, I thought more people know about it. It's still relevant to Deadfire.

Ah, the sweet, delicious irony, when the self-proclaimed hardcore gamers who claim to be crushing every fight, turn out to be furious savescummers, playing every second of the game with hand anxiously hanging over the F5 and living in constant terror that every small group of xaurips can mean a full party wipe.

:excellent:
I thought this was how old school games are generally played. The lack of "evolved RPG game design" practices teaches players to be paranoid about what they might encounter next. It's a big part of the charm of old school RPGs.

Lacrymas

Arcane
World-shaking quest design right here. "Go take this cornett I've sent so many other people to get and they've failed". Actual solution - go into house by the front door with a bunch of people inside, pick the lock on the chest, pick up cornett, done.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
And finished. 58 hours total playtime.

Some closing thoughts:

- The final level stinks of cut content for a country mile.
- It's massive :incline: that you can just show all the idiot factions the middle finger and sail to victory alone.
- The endgame "dilemma" has to be the least dilemmatic dilemma of all time. Poe1 reveals the gods are a bunch of fakes. In Poe2 each time you interact with the gods they act like a bunch of clueless cretins. Eothas says "the gods were a mistake, they're nothing but trash". Point me to where he's wrong because I feel like I'm missing something important here.
- Good enough game overall. Much better than poe1 in every single aspect. That's right.
- Whoever wrote this is a 12-yo girl:

201806102021361.jpg

That is all.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Why is everything so easy to steal in this game? I just stole CRATES of adra while people were in the room.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Actually a few more thoughts on the ending.

Despite Ukaizo being VERY VERY obviously unfinished/cut content (seriously, it has 4 locations, a painted map, etc., but all it has is a bossfight and some going back and forth), the final boss mechadragon being a pathetic pushover and angry rauataians suddenly appearing to try to kill me for some reason (because surely they can do that when i've just murdered the mechadragon)... I thought the ending itself was ok.

Eothas describing Ukaizo before its fall might have been the only good descriptive bit of dialogue in the game (although another one I found cool was Magran and Ondra trying to nuke him at Ashen Maw and failing - that was a genuinely cool bit). The choices you get at the end to tell him wot do are pretty varied, and getting an "I'm only here to watch" (cuz I'm a watcher hóhóhó) option in there was pretty elegant. What happens afterwards in ending slides is reasonable too (I got ending for letting him destroy the wheel + not siding with any faction).

Ofc it's undeniable that there are dumb things here. First and foremost, what I said before - if you ask me, there are absolutely NO REASONS AT ALL not to let him wreck the wheel. The gods are idiots. Each time they appear, they act like idiots. Idiots and dickheads. Top it off with the fact that they are also a bunch of fake idiots who think themselves gods. I don't know whether that was the intention of the wroiters to make Eothas a sympathetic figure, but the end effect is that they made him way too sympathetic. There is no dilemma to be had at the end. Telling him to go ahead and wreck the wheel is the only sensible option to be had (unless you feel like nuking the world from orbit that is).

Second, having that stuff limited just to the final dialogue options in the final convo (and you get these dialogue choices suggested to you explicitly by another retarded god cameo right before it happens) is the very epitome of laziness, even more lazy than how it's usually done in modern popamole rpgs - at least typically nobody serves you the fucking questions on a platter beforehand and so you can LARP that your protag is very smart to come up with them himself. Sigh.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Is like Numenera - get to end guy, pick 5-7 "real" choices. I am beginning to think that this sort of end scene+make grand choice becomes a thing between developers since it is just so similar.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
"Becomes a thing"? It's been a thing for at least 10 years now. And each time it feels lazy as shit.

Shadenuat

Arcane
IDK I felt companion writing and writing in general just plummeted (without regards to how much writing you see or can skip). If PoE1 was "eh, but these few are ok", in PoE2 not only did I feel like it's Tyranny level but also replaced EVERYONE except Serafen on my first run, and then just never played with companions again.

Companions that were just meh for me in 1, like Pallegina, in 2 made me want to burn them all.

Some of faction content, npcs like Onekaza and her brother, they were alright.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I felt companion writing and writing in general just plummeted.

Oh, that goes without saying.

But once you accept the only sane tactic of going 1111111111 through each dialogue and only reading through a few keywords, you stop minding it. Especially since they are trimmed compared to the first game at least.

Companions that were just meh for me in 1, like Pallegina, in 2 made me want to burn them all.

Yeah, guess that's true. From the returning ones, Eder is largely the same but with 100% more interjections (which is way too much), Aloth might as well not exist, and Pallegina is full retardo - which paradoxically enough I thought was funny because her constant fedora tipping was hilarious, in the "so bad it's good" kind of way.

Apart from that... Serafen is ok as a sleazy buttpirate - somehow, I find his buttpiracy much more tolerable than all the other faggotry going around, maybe because he's actually written as a buttpirate, and isn't one of those folks who seem normal and then suddenly go "ahoy kaptin, wanna take it up the bum?" The rest though are insufferable. Tekehu and Xoti I hated starting with their first conversations. Maia's droning VO is sophomoric. And the rest are sidekicks.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Maia and Serafen are the best, followed by Eder. Pallegina was annoying, Aloth was forgettable, Tekehu insufferable.

Xoti I'm torn about. Style-wise her writing is childish and cringeworthy, but her quest is arguably the only interesting companion quest and the choice to have a hillbilly VO adds an a cool flavor to the character.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom