Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

frajaq

Erudite
Anders was a literal terrorist in DA2 :M

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://www.pcgamer.com/bioware-has...gon-age-4-intends-to-get-back-to-mass-effect/

BioWare is 'figuring out' Dragon Age 4, intends to 'get back to' Mass Effect

By Samuel Roberts 39 minutes ago

Casey Hudson and BioWare intend to return to Mass Effect 'at some point'.

f9cPp4G3XVnPf2JzCFgNhT-320-80.jpg

If you're wondering when we're getting a new Dragon Age game and whether Mass Effect will ever return to PC, BioWare's Casey Hudson has weighed in on that as part of a Game Informer cover feature on Anthem. There's not loads to go on, but Hudson offered a status update that fans of both series might find comforting.

"I would say a majority of the people at BioWare are working on Anthem, but we do have people who are figuring out what a next Dragon Age would look like,” Hudson says. When asked about Mass Effect, Hudson said: "It’s my baby. I helped start Mass Effect from the beginning. Of course we intend to get back to it at some point."

Myself and Tom explored what we'd like from a new Dragon Age last summer. Inquisition was released almost four years ago, and it sounds like we've still got a long wait ahead.

Wasn't DA4 internally canceled last year just to be retooled as another l00t-box cancer-ridden MMO?

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Tbh the only reasonable character in that game was the Qu'nari chief.

I sympathized a lot with him, dude hated everyone and everything in the city and saw it for the cesspool it was and would have stayed away if not for some harlot stealing the sacred scrolls of whatever. The patience and restraint he shows in NOT butchering everyone even though he would love nothing more spits on the face of Anders who is more then happy to use violence as a means to an end, whereas the brutish Qunari only resorted to that when they had no other choices left.
Easily the most relatable character in the game, shame you can't outright join him in burning down kirkwall and since this is a bioware game, romance if you're a female hawke. If anyone was the true hero of that game, it was him, not friggin Anders who I gladly murdered after the dude casually assassinated innocents and completely ruined any chance for peace. In a way Anders was the perfect embodiment of the selfish mage who cares naught for the common folk who are (rightfully) a tad bit concerned about mages being living portals to rape daemons and prone to unleashing hell any time they get pissy.

Also let Mass Effect die already. Dragon Age's setting is still open to terrible sequels to further profane its legacy (a lot might disagree but i really rate da1 as one of the better rpgs of that time period), but Mass effect is done and dusted unless you want to continue with andromeda.

Xeon

Augur
Yeah, the Qunari leader was pretty great in DA2, I enjoyed the game a lot when it was about the Qunaris. They kinda ruined the Quns for me in DAI.

I still hope for more Mass Effect games but better than MEA. There is not a lot of Space opera or something type of games. But I hope they will allow Krogan or something as a player race. Also no world ending disaster, just an agent type of thing and do spy like missions.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I still hope for more Mass Effect games but better than MEA. There is not a lot of Space opera or something type of games.
Agreed. I've played the Mass Effect trilogy more than I'd like to admit, but it's insanely frustrating how the games are both terrible and yet much better than other games of it's type of which there are so few. Just give me another third person shooter game with fun powers, dialogue choices, an interesting set of characters but with better writing/design than Bioware managed because the experience really cracks at the seems in subsequent playthroughs.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I would have backed him up if it weren't for the "Every mage becomes an insane demon for no reason!" shit. DA2 is such a shitty game.

To be fair to Bioware it's all a side-effect of EA making them pump that game out in zero time and budget. Who would have thought being bought by EA would fuck the company for life? What a shock.

Cael

Arcane
I would have backed him up if it weren't for the "Every mage becomes an insane demon for no reason!" shit. DA2 is such a shitty game.

To be fair to Bioware it's all a side-effect of EA making them pump that game out in zero time and budget. Who would have thought being bought by EA would fuck the company for life? What a shock.
They had a lot of time with DAI and they still fucked it up, and fucked it up worse than DA2.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
They had a lot of time with DAI and they still fucked it up, and fucked it up worse than DA2.

I was going to argue against that in some way but thinking about it... yeah, not really wrong. I liked the zones, but other than that the whole thing was kind of a shit show. At least DA2 still had some kind of tactical combat buried beneath its deep, deep flaws.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Even without EA involved, DA2 was going to be some sort of slam dunk. DA:O took too long to make, they had to release a quick sequel for more cash. They messed up with their priorities and should have asked their buddies at Obsidian for advice (or listened to Tony Evans who could tell them what not to do based on his Storm of Zehir experience).

Xeon

Augur
They probably should have stuck with the same engine as Origin's and made something similar to Awakening to continue the story or something.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Even without EA involved, DA2 was going to be some sort of slam dunk. DA:O took too long to make, they had to release a quick sequel for more cash. They messed up with their priorities and should have asked their buddies at Obsidian for advice (or listened to Tony Evans who could tell them what not to do based on his Storm of Zehir experience).
Yep, that's right.
There was, long before the launch of their BSN, a first iteration for Dragon Age, but feeling it will lead them nowhere or that they were not satisfy with it, they decided to restart its dev from zero.
At least, there remains few screens of this first and canceled version hosted at GameBanshee
gallery_32_313_img.jpg

gallery_35_313_img.jpg

gallery_36_313_img.jpg

That was also confirmed in one of the numerous interviews, but don't ask me to find which one it is, as there are too much of it. I just remember they said they canceled 4 or 5 years of work, which is a lot of wasted time and ressources.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tyranny ended up having a rather similar art direction to that first iteration of Dragon Age, with those brown cliffs and stone and battles under red skies.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They probably should have stuck with the same engine as Origin's and made something similar to Awakening to continue the story or something.
It did have the same engine, they merely updated it. :P

At least, there remains few screens of this first and canceled version hosted at GameBanshee
Some years ago, Gaider revealed that those screens were merely a proof of concept made with the NWN toolset, and that it wasn't ever intended to be the final look. After all that's from 2004, no way are graphics made in year one "final."

Cael

Arcane
If anyone was the true hero of that game, it was him, not friggin Anders who I gladly murdered after the dude casually assassinated innocents and completely ruined any chance for peace. In a way Anders was the perfect embodiment of the selfish mage who cares naught for the common folk who are (rightfully) a tad bit concerned about mages being living portals to rape daemons and prone to unleashing hell any time they get pissy.
The problem is that the whole mages being living portals for demons is a Chantry created problem. Remember that Tevinter was ruled by mages for a very long time, and while they were generally cruel and sometimes psychotic, being demon possessed living nuclear apocalypses isn't something that was connected to them. That is not to say it didn't happen, but it wasn't even remotely common and one of the things about Tevinter was that mages were recognised and trained early, which evidence seem to suggest help avert such things.

It was the Chantry that played up the demon possession aspect in order to bring the mages under their control as they believed that mages were a threat to their power (rightly so, if the Circle-Templar war is anything to go by). And because of that persecution, those mages that did escape the mandatory life sentence usually turned to dark arts in order to gain power quickly merely to survive the inevitable waves of assassins and templars ramming up their asses. Remember also that blood magic isn't as bad as the Chantry made it out to be. You can become a blood mage in the game, after all, and if you didn't want to play the mass murdering psycho, you can. Blood magic, like any other magic, is just a tool that mages can use.

There are many examples of mages doing good, but because of the demonisation by the Chantry, mages are persecuted and attacked and reviled. That creates a self-fulfilling prophecy when a mage finally snaps under the pressure and start hitting back.

"Oh mommy, that bad mage attacked me! I didn't do anything bad. Just called him names, try to get my friends to lynch him, threw rocks at him and his house, broke windows and doors a few times, made fun of him and all the usual things that we normal people do to mages since he turned up 10 years ago."
"Hey, everyone! That mage attacked my son! He must bake bread with the blood of all our dead children! Lynch him!"
"But we haven't had a dead child for years, except for Leeroy, but he was an idiot who got himself killed playing in traffic."
"They all got better! Now, lynch him, unless you are some sort of anti-Chantry mage sympathiser!"

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The final screenshot made it in DAO,kind off. You get to see the enemy army marching under some bridge. Thank god that the first didn't.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The final screenshot made it in DAO,kind off. You get to see the enemy army marching under some bridge. Thank god that the first didn't.
Yes, the initial idea for DA was "Dude, we have to get the Battle of Helm's Deep in a game!"

Cael

Arcane
I have a question for Codexers who are in their 30-40s. Is Dragon Age any good? Is it on par with BG2?
It is good for what it is: A first installment in a brand new setting using a brand new system. Therefore, there is a lot of lore dumping and exposition and things like that. Combat is pretty meh, and it is not especially hard.

It is definitely not on par with BG2. It is far more simplistic and lack the magic shield and counter-shield combats.

It does introduce a programmable AI that allows you to programme how you want your companions to act in combat, which is a pretty cool feature, probably the best thing about the game. If you are good at it and good at anticipating what happens in combat, you can basically programme them to the point they handle themselves far more competently than the enemy AI in combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom