Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you use graphic mods to enhance visuals of old games?

Do use graphic mods to enhance visuals of older games on first playthrough?

• Yes

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • No

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 33 60.0%

• Total voters

Venser

Erudite
When playing older games that graphically didn't age that well such as Deus Ex or Shock 2, people often recommend using HD textures. These textures usually aren't official and often take some liberties on those images they are replacing.

When I play games, on my first playtrhough I try to experience them in an original form so I can mentally place them in a time of release and see how they compare to other games from the same period. It gets a bit more complicated with games that got remastered in the meantime so I'd pick on individual basis if I'm gonna play remaster or the original on my first encounter with the game.

On a second playthrough I don't mind modding, both graphics and gameplay if there's something fun available. What about you?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's rare that I add hi-res texture mods and such, but it happens. System Shock 2 is the first example I can think of.

I'm more into using sourceports/emulators that support filters and added effects, but even then I only use the most basic 2x filters for the graphics - anything more and the pixels stop being pixels.

But no, I never do it on the first playthrough, at least not for graphical updates. "Ease-of-use" mods like UI updates and such, however, are a different thing.

Achilles

Arcane
Usually not. I just cant be arsed usually, I've played most of these games when they first came out and once youn are immersed you don't really notice the dated graphics.

praetor

Arcane
depends. if it's true to the original and/or an actual improvement without feeling out of place (like the above SS2 example), then absolutely. if it's just "modders gonna mod" and completely ruins the aesthetic, no

No Great Name

Arcane
The only game I played where there were modded textures for the first playthrough was for the first System Shock game because I was playing a portable version before GOG started selling it.
Otherwise, I prefer to play it in as close to its original graphic settings as possible.

Swampy_Merkin

Learned
Possibly Retarded
I won't be bothered to play games more than 20 years old. I like to play borderless-windowed, so I use that 3rd party mod plus alt-move to resize to my exact preferences so I can have other shit going on while I play. ADD is real.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Textures, mostly.
Most special effects are arse anyway. Case - STALKER graphic mods where most of them are depressing dead hope autumn with 50 shades of grey and black.
I swear modders are too busy wanking at their work they don't give a damn about friggin visibility in a game where NPC can shoot your ass from miles away with rusty AK and broken pistols.

Allyriadil

Educated
Usually only resolution when it's available, other than that for the first playthrough I prefer to keep it vanilla.

Ash

Arcane
Depends on the game, depends on the mod quality. Of course old 2D games rarely need graphics work. Old 3D often needs a helping hand, but it's important the work done is quality, consistent and relatively faithful.

Parabalus

Arcane
I look up responses to the particular mod, if it's universally acclaimed (like e.g. Ash's GMDX) I'll install it.

Faithfulness means little if I'm not planning several playthroughs to compare differences, I'll go with the superior for just one.

Astral Rag

Arcane
For 3D games I will use a modern 16:9 resolution if I can make it happen without stretching the image. I avoid source ports that don't have the option to run the game with vanilla visuals. I never use fan-made replacement textures or enable smoothing or other out of place graphical features.

Last edited:

Monkey Baron

Arbiter
Patron
I helped put crap in Monomyth
I personally find older graphics to be really charming. Sometimes mods can mess with the atmosphere that the devs were originally striving for, but that's also my own biases.

I look up responses to the particular mod, if it's universally acclaimed (like e.g. Ash's GMDX) I'll install it.

Faithfulness means little if I'm not planning several playthroughs to compare differences, I'll go with the superior for just one.

This reminds me - I really wish we got GMDX on Steam instead of Revision...

Robespierre

Madame Guillotine
Patron
It's Kitten Time at the GreatCrystalShrine
Make the Codex Great Again!
When playing Thief or Deus Ex yes. Only because the textures mods available for those games brilliantly enhance the atmosphere of the games, while keeping very close to vanilla. Otherwise I don't bother, modders gonna mod and always add stupid crap no one cares about save the usual tumblr, reddit, deviantart retards (HEY! IT WOULD BE SO GOOD IF MIDWIVES IN SS2 HAD BIG BOOBIES LULZ !)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom