Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

E3 2018 - Official Codex Thread - June 9th to 14th - Press Conferences, Trailers and Interviews

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
loss_nocrop_w710_h2147483647.jpg

My masterpiece!

lemon-lime

Educated
Sea of Solitude looked interesting, but there wasn't enough to truly judge anything. At least the presentation of the German dev reminded me of this gem:

Keppo

Arbiter
Anthem is even more decline than Andromeda or Dragon Age 2 lul. Looks even less interesting gameplay wise than Destiny.

Gameplay-wise Anthem looks like what they always want to do with Mass Effect, and always failed to pull off. Lot of it seems very Mass Effect, and the whole way they described how multiplayer works just sounds like the progression of how they were trying to integrate multiplayer into the single player in the last two games. Although did the shooting look worse than the last time they showed it off? Maybe it's just because they showed more, but I want to say the shooting looked better in the last E3 video.

Having the armors linked to the class itself seems pretty fucking stupid. Seems like it'd be far better to go the Armored Core Gundam Breakers route letting the player combine everything however they want and tune your mech to whatever degree you want to shape the style of play the player wants to go with.

No idea what people find interesting about Sea of Solitude. Probably too Japanese for my taste.

When humans get too lonely, they turn into monsters. That’s what happened to Kay. But she’s not alone – this ocean is full of creatures just like her. Finding them may be the key to changing her back. Sea of Solitude is an upcoming third-person exploration game from Jo-Mei Games. Join Kay as she navigates the waters of heartache, empathy, and hope.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Having the armors linked to the class itself seems pretty fucking stupid. Seems like it'd be far better to go the Armored Core Gundam Breakers route letting the player combine everything however they want and tune your mech to whatever degree you want to shape the style of play the player wants to go with.

But then you wouldn't have to level up 4 suits.

Allyriadil

Educated
The combat looks like shit in Anthem, not to mention that the story really seems generic.
So we went from the infiinity engine tactical combat to this popamole console tier crap. I am suprised people still have hope for Bioware at all.

Vexxt

Educated
These shitty "reveals" and bullshit stage commentary makes me yearn for the days that gaming was an underground hobby.

Kitchen Utensil

These shitty "reveals" and bullshit stage commentary makes me yearn for the days that gaming was an underground hobby.

It still is. Most of the shit that's at E3 has nothing to do with gaming. It just pretends to.

KK1001

Arbiter
Gaming is not an underground hobby. But it's important to realize that what once was did not expand to become mainstream; something new entirely was created, sometime in the mid-00s.

Vexxt

Educated
I think you all knew what I meant -

When I was in the 5th grade I was playing Sierra quest games on my Tandy 1000 - I was the only kid in my class that knew what Space Quest or Kings Quest was.

I guess after watching the Anthem footage it just got me thinking of just how much talent is wasted on these shitty games. Graphically these big-budget titles can look stunning - but what good is it if the whole game you are told where to go, what to do, and if the game has no interesting mechanics. Their design philosophy is more or less "players presses a button - epic explosions happen" - and that's about it.

I'm not totally salty though - there are a number of titles I'm very interested in seeing -

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Anthem seems like another game that wants to merge the always online and social "future" while being scared of totally telling solo play to fuck off, resulting in a mix that fully pleases no one. Tons of those types of games coming out from big publishers while indies tend to go fully one way or the other, which says a lot about why it's happening. Like a Disney Corp. movie they want to get as many asses in seats as possible. We'll see if they have the talent to back it up like Disney usually do.

Anyway, the forced co-op to complete the story makes Anthem a total write-off for my singleplayer only ass, and the rest of their presentation was a total snooze.

PC Gamer news stream right now:

Anthem will not have offline play

Cthulhu: Death May Die unites two of tabletop gaming’s biggest designers

Anthem will not have romance options

BioWare is 'figuring out' Dragon Age 4, intends to 'get back to' Mass Effect

Watch new footage of Anthem in action

Anthem release date announced, coming in February

Anthem will have no loot boxes and 'no ability to pay for power'

New Battlefield 5 gameplay footage posted by Nvidia

Look at what EA has done to Command & Conquer

Watch the new Anthem cinematic trailer

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Weird thing is there's been a resounding "meh" response to all the Anthem news among the people who don't report about this shit for a living. There seems to be zero hype and people are once again mocking what they're seeing just like they did with Andromeda, albeit not for production quality reasons but changes in design and attempting to get a different audience while playing both camps at the same time.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom