Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

Cael

Arcane
Baeloth's VA I found pretty ok/good throughout, but from that you come down to pure garbage like the minor NPCs in EE companion quests. Legit can't recall worse voice acting than that in any game.
Same guy did Rashaad and a bunch of others. I liked Baeloth, but Rashaad is only good for his 12.5k shoes.

Parabalus

Arcane
Baeloth's VA I found pretty ok/good throughout, but from that you come down to pure garbage like the minor NPCs in EE companion quests. Legit can't recall worse voice acting than that in any game.
Same guy did Rashaad and a bunch of others. I liked Baeloth, but Rashaad is only good for his 12.5k shoes.

I always dragged him along because items from his quest in both 1 & 2 are great, should have installed the mod which moves them.
Dorn VA I found to be ok also, Neera is annoying, Hexxat tries too hard and can't recall the SoD ones.

This is the cringefest I meant before:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The entire premise of the EEs for all the IE games should have been working closely with fans, modders, and the original devs to offer an updated experience that maintains the core identity of the game, while integrating popular mods to give a, well, enhanced experience based on a decade and a half of playtime.
Well to be fair they did reach out to Avellone to redo some dialogues in Planescape so they seem to understand their writing skills are not the best and adding him did give them al least some credibility

They only did that because people would have literally lynched them if they messed with the writing of Torment. Don't mistake an instinct for self preservation as goodwill.

Early on it was the "PAY FOR PATHC!?!?!" comments I read most often, but now-a-days when I read Beamdog and Oster hate it's mostly coming from butthurt haters of butthurt SJWs

Ultimately, Beamdog's greatest sin was a lack of humility. They were in over their heads in the early days but they acted like arrogant bigshots. A more conciliatory approach could have changed everything. Imagine a Beamdog where Codexers were allowed "inside the tent" from the very beginning, providing feedback on everything from fixes to pricing to additional content. Even inXile was smart enough to start out by trying to be friends with the Codex.

They definitely came in acting like some rockstars who were going to revolutionize the retro CRPG genre for the modern era. When time came to put up or shut up they neither put up nor shut up

hell bovine

Arcane
I have to admit that Baeloth's line when you made it clear you want him dead was pure comedy gold: "Oh, come on!!"
Baeloth is the one EE NPC I'd have liked to see in BG2, where the only evil mage available is Edwin. While I like Eddie, there is only so many times you can take him along (or listen to Jan's turnip stories). Meanwhile, good aligned parties get three mages to choose from.

So how i can play these EE without additional shitty content added by Beamdogs?
Just dispose of the EE npcs when you meet them, the local population doesn't care if you murder them in the middle of the street. Honestly, the new generation of players - back in ye olde days we'd use a disintegrate spell and not ask for a mod to do it for you.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
Just dispose of the EE npcs when you meet them, the local population doesn't care if you murder them in the middle of the street. Honestly, the new generation of players - back in ye olde days we'd use a disintegrate spell and not ask for a mod to do it for you.
Son, I'ma disappoint. For Rashaad, there is only one proper death: Death by Phoenix Guard Fireball.

Parabalus

Arcane

Biggest issue with this is that the EE's have same genuinely cool items gated behind the shitty content - the mod linked a few pages back solves that by redistributing them.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

There's a mod at Spellhold Studios. I haven't tried it (just played all EE's and SOD for the first time). Wish I had. My INT score is now permanently lowered.

Edit: It takes out the companions. I'm waiting for a mod from the Gibberling3 called Enhanced Edition Trilogy that I hope will have a 'SOD be gone' feature and they're gonna add IWD 1&2 (or parts of 2) into one giant IE experience. So; BG1&2 + IWD1&2. Should be cool - unless they fuck up the writing.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
BGT had several problems of its own, and it's funny you mention Hard Times together, which was TUTU only for the longest time.
The spawn system in TUTU and BGT were always crude hacks. They both acknowledged that. If you prefer them that's your taste. In vanilla BG spawns were more fun imo. BGT and TUTU e,g, gave the player the ability to run faster than monsters and animals, which he didn't have in vanilla in several cases.
This is a bullshit lie. Also, your earlier claim that EE fixed "under the hood" stuff is great and all, but there is no proof of that, except claims by Trent and his cohorts. You also claim that they got the best modders and IE-hacker to join them - because of the fuss raised by the community that they literally stole modders work and presented it as their own, so they eventually started hiring some modders. Probably after Trent realized that it was more work than his original hack team was capable of.

And yet you're glossing over the insane amount of new bugs they introduced - "They are all fixed now" well let me doubt that statement - and no, there is no way to go back to the old UI colour scheme nor is there a way to disable the shitty blur filter. And this is on top of all the lies Trent made about the EEs, and the latest insult that you can't get originals from GOG anymore without buying the EEs.

So go suck a dick and stop defending talentless hacks. Oh wow, I don't need to install a Widescreen mod, my life is so fucking perfect now! Please Trent, can you shit in my mouth again?

Yep. As mentioned, I just downloaded the latest editions of the EE's - and the journal doesn't even work in BG2. There's also a bug preventing the cult of the unseeing eye from spawning (so no Keldorn) and a game stopping bug where Imoes doesn't spawn in one of the dreams.
I'm sure I saw one of these Beamdog hacks punding their chest recently in glory at how they had now worked on the game longer than the original Bioware team, and were now more familiar with the engine than they were...

I only waited 5 years to play the EE's for the first time while they ironed out the bugs.

Cael

Arcane
Death by Close Combat.
It's the only way.
More like death by Phoenix Guard exploding next to him because some sneaky Bhaalspawn used them to kill half the village without a Rep hit. Rashaad was never in my party.

Just make sure you do it after Nashkel Mines and after you grabbed all the loot you want from that fat bounty fellow.

Fairfax

Arcane
You can't. Even if you ignore the new NPCs and quests, the changes and additions to classes, mechanics, spells, items, etc are not optional. There's no way to play the original games in the EEs.

Cael

Arcane
You can't. Even if you ignore the new NPCs and quests, the changes and additions to classes, mechanics, spells, items, etc are not optional. There's no way to play the original games in the EEs.
Aren't they basically BG2 classes, spells and mechanics to begin with? You can ignore the Blackguard class, but the rest are just BG2 ported into BG, which one of the big mods did anyway (Tutu, I think? I forgot).

Fairfax

Arcane
Aren't they basically BG2 classes, spells and mechanics to begin with? You can ignore the Blackguard class, but the rest are just BG2 ported into BG, which one of the big mods did anyway (Tutu, I think? I forgot).
In BG1's case, yes, a lot of the changes were in mods already, but things like Tutu and BGT weren't BG1 either.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Report the bugs in detail, they do fix them.

Screw 'em. The game should be pristine by now, or at least in the condition it was in when Bioware were done with it + EE 'features'. I used EE Keeper to change Minsc into a Stalker and he had no backstab modifier, so I rooted around in the CLAB files with Near Infinity and the AP_SPCL332 (backstab modifier) was missing at appropriate Stalker levels.
This is the latest version with no mods installed at all. Maybe they tried to implement it another way, but fact was it wasn't working until I re-implemented it as it was in the original release. I just tinker, but I remember modders talking about how important it was to have the rows and columns in order... just look at the clusterfuck they leave the CLAB files in...there's no excuse. It's either by incompetence or design. They've essentially been modding the game since 2012 and I'm not sure even the quick weapon slots make them worth playing over the originals.

hell bovine

Arcane
Son, I'ma disappoint. For Rashaad, there is only one proper death: Death by Phoenix Guard Fireball.
I didn't actually think of this. :oops:

Biggest issue with this is that the EE's have same genuinely cool items gated behind the shitty content - the mod linked a few pages back solves that by redistributing them.
Let me repeat: Honestly, the new generation of players.

Nazrim Eldrak

Scholar
I give a fuck about what they did, because if I want to play the originals I have them stored in my GOG account.
I even own the original disks.
When they made the EEs, I thought myself: "nice, now there is a chance that someone will seriously open up the system for modding."
I also don´t get it why they are saying that it is hard to make new content for the game
1. When they have the source code
2. When they already made a whole game with the engine

Neverheless I support Beamlaser financially because of
1. NWN
2. I still hope they will hire talented people to make enjoyable content and open up the fucking system (They should make the source open source on GitHub).

I even don´t care if they buy content from modders, because this will give some (young) modders a chance to earn a little bit cash and/or get a job in the game industry.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
I give a fuck about what they did, because if I want to play the originals I have them stored in my GOG account.
I even own the original disks.
When they made the EEs, I thought myself: "nice, now there is a chance that someone will seriously open up the system for modding."
I also don´t get it why they are saying that it is hard to make new content for the game
1. When they have the source code
2. When they already made a whole game with the engine

Neverheless I support Beamlaser financially because of
1. NWN
2. I still hope they will hire talented people to make enjoyable content and open up the fucking system (They should make the source open source on GitHub).

I even don´t care if they buy content from modders, because this will give some (young) modders a chance to earn a little bit cash and/or get a job in the game industry.

Depends on where these new people come from (is that racist? I don't really care) I'm now very dubious about anything written in California, Canada and America. I'm much more appreciative of the tone from games written by Polish, Czech, Russian developers, etc. There should have been a Kickstarter renaissance in CRPG's and they bodged it. I supported the Battletech game -haven't got around to playing it- and noticed some weird shit there as well. And Jordan Weisman and Mitch Gitelman are are of the generation that created the original games I loved from the pre 90's.

So Cael (not to derail the thread) is the latest Battletch written in the same tone as the first Mechwarrior/Mechcommander games?. Maybe it is. I just prefer the tone of games from the areas of the world I mentioned. Less soy altering the brain chemistry in those countries I think.

Cael

Arcane
So Cael (not to derail the thread) is the latest Battletch written in the same tone as the first Mechwarrior/Mechcommander games?. Maybe it is. I just prefer the tone of games from the areas of the world I mentioned. Less soy altering the brain chemistry in those countries I think.
Wrong. Disney Princess crossed over with tranny wet dream and inclooooooosive shit. You can agree with the SJW nonsense in 3 different flavours.

Plus none of the stuff in it except for the 'mech names even says BTech. They kept none of the lore, the mechanics or anything even remotely BTech. Only reason you know it is a BTech game and not a cheap knockoff is the name of the game.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Screw 'em. The game should be pristine by now
Edgy. How are they to make a pristine game if every edgelord acts like you? Either report the bug or don't cry.

What are you - the beta game tester/gimp Beamdog keeps in the basement?. It's been six years of modding an engine completed by Bioware and there are still game breaking bugs in it. As I said; just look at the CLAB files - producing disorganised work like that is either incompetence or design - and you've gotta be some kind of addict with the shakes to mess up columns and rows that badly.
Cael thanks - another £25 wasted, but time saved. Mechwarrior 5 Merc's might be promising. As long as it doesn't have AC-20 strap-on melee.

Cael

Arcane
Cael thanks - another £25 wasted, but time saved. Mechwarrior 5 Merc's might be promising. As long as it doesn't have AC-20 strap-on melee.
There are a couple of massive threads about it. The post-release here and the pre-release here.

The post-release is more informative about the actual issues people found about the game and how far it had deviated from the original. Suffice to say that apart from the SJW incloooooosive shit, there are a lot of mechanical issues including game performance to bad/grainy/repetitive graphics to useless UI to crap combat mechanics to bad Mary Sue script/writing to lack of tactical/strategic depth (for a supposedly tactical game) to outright lore violations/obvious retcons and wholesale lore/history rewrites leftard style.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom