Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Total War game: Warhammer

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Alright, played for a bit now with the von Carsteins. Is there a way to shorten the hilariously long siege times on major settlements?
Yes, attacking them.

I'm playing SFO right now and it takes maybe 2-3 turns at max to wait until all your siege equipment is built.
Then again, I'm playing as Dwarves, so maybe they build that stuff twice as fast.

But if you are talking about waiting until a settlement just surrenders on its own due to being out of food... maybe there is a mod for that.

Yeah, I'm talking about surrendering/taking attrition. This was especially a problem early on when an enemy army was garrisoning a big city. There was no other choice but to wait for +10 turns until attrition kicked in. Now that I can afford multiple armies it's no longer that big a deal.

Certain factions gain skills and traits that reduce siege holdout time but the vampires are generally not one of them. There might be a skill in the blue line that helps with sieges I think? Also Vlad has the Siege Attacker trait from the start.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Recent blog post had two interesting tidbits: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/what-the-teams-are-working-on-june-2018

Fantasy New Content Team – WARHAMMER II
WARHAMMER-II-1024x576.png

The Queen & The Crone is the latest release from the Fantasy New Content Team, which also added a wealth of content for the Mortal Empires campaign. Not only that but we also breathed some life into older factions. This time we focused on the Dwarfsand the much-requested move for Ungrim Ironfist to start in his rightful place in Karak Kadrin, not to mention the Bone Giant being released alongside the Skull for the Skull Throne promotion (so if you own Tomb Kings, you now own the Bone Giant).

Please note that this week we’ll be opening a public beta to fix some of the known issues that we mentioned in the patch notes last week – keep an eye on our social media channels if you want to opt in.

As for what we’re up to next: what we can say is that we’re working on the next campaign pack for Total War: WARHAMMER II, but it’s a little while off yet.

Fantasy Team – pre-production
CA-Generic-Cropped-1024x555.jpg

The Fantasy Team has begun pre-production for their next game, and it’s taking them to some dark, dark places. We fear they may never return – not with minds and souls intact, at least.

We’ll update you with more details when it’s safe to approach them.

Not that this is a huge surprise, but still a small nudge towards Chaos demons.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Hmm

Fill the dark chalice? Hmmmm
Bloodwrack+Shrine+2.jpg

FreeKaner, did Bloodwracks typically have iconography with chalices? Perhaps I am taking it too literally.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
FreeKaner, did Bloodwracks typically have iconography with chalices? Perhaps I am taking it too literally.

Yes, Bloodwrack medusae are dark elves that tried to become beautiful and immortal with blood feast. Morathi did not because she is naturally the most beautiful woman in the world.

Although this could just be related to Hellebron as well.

Seethe

Arbiter
What a coincidence, I just started my Dark Elf campaign after finishing a High Elf one.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Just relived an old Total War favorite moment. An AI army running away for +20 turns across your own territory, pillaging everything even though they were in March mode all the time. Block Army by agents failed every time I could use it. Eventually they just suicided into my pursuing force for no reason. This was a problem in the original Rome game 14 years ago. CA truly has come a long way since then.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Unfortunately this won't fix the AI's ability to march and pillage in the same turn without loosing movement. Maybe I'll add a mod that removes the march stance completely.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
That can be annoying. Until you build walls in every settlement or defensive armies to stay behind, it gets incredibly stupid.

It made the Dwarve campaign a pain in the ass.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Just relived an old Total War favorite moment. An AI army running away for +20 turns across your own territory, pillaging everything even though they were in March mode all the time. Block Army by agents failed every time I could use it. Eventually they just suicided into my pursuing force for no reason. This was a problem in the original Rome game 14 years ago. CA truly has come a long way since then.

You can attempt to intercept them with ambush stance though.

Ambush alone doesn't work well if they are in your territory and can go anywhere, only when they are on the border with one way to come in.

Best way to get the enemy to engage is to have one stack that is empty except for the general as bait, with a full stack in ambush just in front of it. AI can't resist going for a battle it thinks it has 100% chance to win.

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Ah, you are playing WH 1? I would buy the second one, it is really worth it if you enjoy the first one, especially fully modded.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Ah, you are playing WH 1? I would buy the second one, it is really worth it if you enjoy the first one, especially fully modded.

I'm almost ready to do that. Pretty much all modders moved on to the second game and some update broke most of the mods for the first one it seems :argh::argh::argh:.

Seethe

Arbiter

I'm almost ready to do that. Pretty much all modders moved on to the second game and some update broke most of the mods for the first one it seems :argh::argh::argh:.

I'd get Warham 2 just for the sake of being able to aim your wind spells.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
I am about to enter into the third ritual on my Hellebron campaign. Compared to my first attempt, my current campaign is going rather smoothly. After I took Ghrond and the Deadwoods, I marched over to Quintex and took it. I farmed Malekith, Morathi, Skaven, and the Norscans for slaves and gold (let them build up, sack main city, rinse and repeat). I took my time to build up all my settlements and maximize my slave count. Moreover, I stopped performing Death Night consistently. Death Night turns Hellebron into a killing machine, but it slows down your economy. At a certain point, I chose the economy, and the additional armies and walled settlements made up for a weakened Hellebron. It is definitely a tradeoff. Plus, once you put Hellebron on a manticore and you equip the cursed blades, she can do a lot of damage despite the penalties.

Even though the difficulty has waned, I still am still enjoying the hell out of the DLC. For those early levels, Hellebron is a huge crutch. I can imagine VH/Legendary being a real challenge.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Kharibdyss after all. It comes alongside a balance patch.

KharybScreen_UI_OFF.jpg

With the chalice now overflowing with the blood of those who dared oppose the Druchii, the time has come – behold as the loathsome Kharibdyss rises from the depths!

The Kharibdyss is a free addition to the Dark Elves roster for all owners of The Queen & The Crone DLC, and will be available from 15:00 BST on the 21st of June.

Excelling at munching on other monsters, the Kharibdyss may be slow and lumbering but its poisonous armour-piercing attacks are some of the hardest hitting in the game. Its terrifying presence and abyssal howl reduce the most courageous leaders to mere shadows of their former selves, and even dragons may end up reduced to little more than a mid-battle snack by one of its many mouths.

In addition to the arrival of the eponymous monster, the Kharibdyss update also includes a number of revisions, improvements and balance changes for Total War: WARHAMMER II for all players regardless of whether they own The Queen & The Crone – read on to find out more.

Patch Notes
  • Rebalanced Crone Hellebron’s Cursed Blade ability by removing the phase recharge and changing the phase to deal up to 144 to a single target when the phase is applied. The phase can be reapplied every ten seconds.
  • Rogue armies will now spawn correctly in campaigns.
  • Arkhan’s Legion of Death skill will now add factionwide buffs to Fell Bats, Crypt Ghouls, Dire Wolves and Hex Wraiths.
  • Bone Giant has had the undead trait removed and the construct trait added as well as +10 Leadership.
  • Bretonnian starting armies have been changed back to what they were prior to The Queen and the Crone update.
  • Tyrion’s -1 to recruitment time will now apply to Sisters of Avelorn and Shadow Warriors.
  • Firebark Elders (Tree Kin) Regiment of Renown unit now correctly has its Wildfire Aura ability.
  • Summoners of Rage (Dragon Ogres) Regiment of Renown unit now correctly has its Chain Lightning ability.
  • Great Mortis Delta province is now correctly part of the Geomantic Web.
  • Fixed a softlock that would occur for Crone Hellebron when the Amulet of Dark Fire quest would trigger when Shrine of Khaine had been razed.
  • Sword of Khaine will no longer display an Empire flag after loading a save game from before The Queen and the Crone update when Shrine of Khaine has been razed.
  • Diplomacy Greetings for Dark Elf factions will now use the correct VO actors.
  • Sisters of Slaughter and Sisters of Avelorn will no longer use male conversational VO in battles.
  • Builds in localised languages will now trigger UI click sounds on the technology tree, skill tree and crafting screens.
  • Rites are no longer locked on save games created before The Queen and The Crone’s release.
  • Walls will now display correctly on the campaign map when loading a save game.
  • Black Ark Admirals will no longer be able to obtain The Sword of Khaine.
  • Sword of Khaine will no longer be lost when the Lord’s army does not participate in a battle as a reinforcing army due to Lightning Strike and the allied army suffers a loss.
  • AI will now upgrade Gaean Vale.
  • AI will now build Handmaiden’s Gallery.
  • Norsca and Wintertooth can no longer build minor defense buildings in province captials.
  • Alarielle’s Star of Avelorn now requires 85% untained in Titan Peaks as part of the quest chain, rather than 95%.
  • Gianthome Mountains will now have a garrison force.
  • Dreadlord of Hag Graef will now unlock after building The Dark Crag.
  • The Tier V Dwarf Smith building chain will now increase the capacity for Runesmiths recruitable.
  • AI Throgg will no longer upgrade to a chariot.
  • Wood Elves and Argwylon Tree Kin will no longer use Averlorn faction colours.
  • Tomb Kings Regiments of Renown now correctly show the diamond icon denoting they are Regiments of Renown within battle.
  • Supreme Sorceress shoulder clipping issues have been fixed.
  • Fashion advisors have been hired for the Hydras.
  • Legacy of the Necromancer achievement will now be attainable.
  • Cave In achievement will now be attainable.
  • Mods will now show up correctly in the modified.log file.
  • Various spelling and grammatical errors fixed.
  • Various localisation issues fixed across multiple languages.
Balance Changes
Units
Beastmen
  • Bestigor Herd
– 5 armour

• Khorrok’s Manripper
– 5 armour

• Gor Herd (Shields)
+ 1 melee attack

• Gor Herd
+ 1 melee attack

• Cygor RoR
+ 50 cost

Bretonnia
  • Royal Hippogryph Knights
+ 10 Armour

+ 400 Mass

• Alberic de Bordeleaux
+ 10 Armour

• King Louen Leoncoeur
+ 10 Armour

• Lord
+ 10 Armour

• Green Knight
+ 480 health

• Foot Squires
– 50 Cost

• Mounted Yeomen Archers
– 50 cost

• Questing Knights RoR
+ 50 cost

• Foot Squires RoR
– 50 Cost

+ 1 Melee Attack

• Men-at-Arms
– Added ‘Expendable’ attribute

• Men-at-Arms (Shields)

• Spearmen-at-Arms

• Men-at-Arms (Polearm)

• Spearmen-at-Arms (Shields)

• Paladin (All Variants)
– Added ‘Guardian’ ability

+ 12 Bonus vs Large

Chaos
  • Kholek
Increased projectile hit box size

• Chosen (all)
– 1 Hit Points per Entity

• Marauders (Great Weapons)
+ 1 Charge Bonus

• Marauder Horsemasters
+ 2 Charge Bonus

• Sigvald the Magnificent
– 50 cost

• Sarthorael
+ 50 cost

• Hellcannon
Minor decrease in projectile accuracy

• Hellcannon RoR
+ 50 cost

• Swords of Chaos
– 3 base melee damage

+ 3 ap melee damage

Dark Elves
  • Raven Heralds
+ 5 Hit Points per Entity

• Bolt-Fiends
Replaced Murderous Mastery with Murderous Prowess

– 25 cost

• Doomfire Warlocks
+ 50 cost

• Slaanesh Harvesters
+ 50 cost

• Sisters of Slaughter
– 2 melee attack

– 1 ap melee damage

– 15 missile block chance.

Dwarfs
  • Thane
– 50 cost

• Gyrobomber
+ 3 projectile ap damage

+ 1 projectile base damage

Empire
  • Flagellants
+ 2 hit points per entity

• Tattersouls
+ 2 hit points per entity

• Halberdiers
– ‘Upgraded Charge Defence vs Large’ attribute to ‘Expert Charge Defence’

+ 4 leadership

• Greatswords
– 50 cost

Greenskins
  • Black Orcs
– 1 hit points per entity

– 1 Charge Bonus

High Elves
  • Swordmasters of Hoeth
– 50 cost

• Alith Anar
Increased projectile muzzle velocity

• Sisters of Avelorn
Minor increase in projectile accuracy

Lizardmen
  • Cold One Riders
– 50 Cost

• Kroxigors
+ 16 Hit Points per Entity

+ 15% Missile Resistance

• Blessed Kroxigors
+ 16 Hit Points per Entity

+ 15% Missile Resistance

Norsca
  • Marauder Champions
+ 5 leadership

• Mammoths (all)
+ 5 bonus vs infantry

+ 3000 mass

• Marauders (Great Weapons)
+ 1 Charge Bonus

• Marauder Horsemasters
+ 2 Charge Bonus

• Icehorn Marauders (Norscan Marauders RoR)
– 50 cost

• Fimir Warriors (Great Weapons)
– 3 bonus vs. large

• Fimir Warriors
+ 10 base melee damage

Skaven
  • Death Runners
+ 2 Charge Bonus

• Plague Monk Censerbearers
+ 2 health per entity

• Poison Wind Globadiers
+ 4 bonus vs large missile damage

• Warp Lightning Cannon
+ 112 HP

• Plagueclaw Catapult
+ 106 HP

Vampire Counts
  • Devils of Swartzhafen
– 100 cost

• Grave Guard (GW)
– 50 cost

Wood Elves
  • Eternal Guard RoR
– 50 cost

• Wardancers RoR
– 50 cost

Abilities
  • Hold the Line: replaced +100% Charge Resistance with +5 melee defence.
  • Hammer of Sigmar: now AoE 40m radius
  • Grand Hammer of Sigmar: duration increased to 50 seconds
  • Shield of Faith: duration increased to 25 secs.
  • Grand Shield of Faith: reduced to 40m radius, duration increased to 50 seconds.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Glad I held off on my Bretonnia ME campaign. The buffs to lance formation, the grail vow units, paladins, and now the expendable trait will make for a fun army.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Dipped my toes into the second game. Is there a mod that makes the diplomacy screen not retarded? The one from the first game was actually quite good, in the second game the whole diplo interface is complete garbage.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Alright, I got the following mods installed now:

- less agents (only one agent per type limit to prevent agent spam by the AI)
- Home Region movement bonus (although roads make this mod semi-obsolete in the second game)
- March Stance 100% cost (to prevent the march/sack settlement ability of the AI)

I might add another mod that eliminates or slows the vortex rituals down, I don't like that particular mechanic at all. And there's SFO, but I'll have to do some more research on it before I give it a shot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom