Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard working on next Diablo project

Cael

Arcane
Seeing your charming personality here on 'Dex and if you are half like this in these MMO games, I doubt you didn't want to hang out with them, 99% more likely they didn't want anything to do with you.
Hey, man. It is not my fault that everyone else quite rightly told you that you are a shitposting fucktard over in the HBS game thread. I didn't even have time to reply before you got yourself strung up for being an illogical twit and a hypocrite. I went to sleep and by the time I returned to the Codex, you were already deep fried and crunchy.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Seeing your charming personality here on 'Dex and if you are half like this in these MMO games, I doubt you didn't want to hang out with them, 99% more likely they didn't want anything to do with you.
Hey, man. It is not my fault that everyone else quite rightly told you that you are a shitposting fucktard over in the HBS game thread. I didn't even have time to reply before you got yourself strung up for being an illogical twit and a hypocrite. I went to sleep and by the time I returned to the Codex, you were already deep fried and crunchy.
You have some serious reading problems. You should see a doctor.

Cael

Arcane
You have some serious reading problems. You should see a doctor.
Hey, I wasn't the one who was so butthurt over something that happened days ago that I come into a thread just to attack someone whom I perceive (wrongly) to be the reason for my butthurt. I'll let other people wander over to the HBS Gobots thread and see for themselves and let them decide what is fake and what isn't. In the meantime, to prevent you from derailing this or any other thread with your epic butthurttery, you are Sin Bin'd.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Haha, loser put me on ignore. I guess that happens when you get butthurt when someone on the internet tells you the truth you didn't want to hear. Only cucks are so weak of mind.

EDIT: Also a lesson to other cucks of same kind. If you put people on ignore they can bash you all they want and you will not see the posts and not be able to defend yourself. And I guess you are kind of person that want to do that (defend yourself) since you would not get butthurt in first place to ignore people if you were not. So you are just shooting yourself in the foot.

abija

Prophet
Copying more from D2 gives a more hardcore game, but Diablo 3 sales still far far beat PoE. Now after 6 years PoE had 150 000 concurrent players when new league started. D3 had 1 million concurrent players in week 1 on D3. Even by losing 2/3 of playerbase they still beat PoE. And PoE is a free game which means more players than if people needed to pay 40 to 60$ for it.

That's just their marketing machine hard at work not merits of the game.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Copying more from D2 gives a more hardcore game, but Diablo 3 sales still far far beat PoE. Now after 6 years PoE had 150 000 concurrent players when new league started. D3 had 1 million concurrent players in week 1 on D3. Even by losing 2/3 of playerbase they still beat PoE. And PoE is a free game which means more players than if people needed to pay 40 to 60$ for it.

That's just their marketing machine hard at work not merits of the game.
Part that and part that the more casual players still massively outnumber the more hardcore players.

abija

Prophet
And majority of those casuals didn't play d2 or play it enough to know what the design changes meant. Those sales are just marketing, nothing to do with casual/hardcore or design decisions but flashy graphics, blizzard name and great teasing.

ArchAngel

Arcane
And majority of those casuals didn't play d2 or play it enough to know what the design changes meant. Those sales are just marketing, nothing to do with casual/hardcore or design decisions but flashy graphics, blizzard name and great teasing.
Not sure what you are arguing about now. You first complain about my point about PoE and now jump to D2. Come back when you decide.

abija

Prophet
That the reason PoE didn't reach same audience as D3 has nothing to do with the quality of the game or it being "hardcore" because it copied more from D2 like you imply.
D3's sales wouldn't have been lower either if it copied more from D2.

Biggest difference in numbers comes from people who had very little clue what they buy. PoE's model doesn't even reach that market.

Aildrik

Savant
That the reason PoE didn't reach same audience as D3 has nothing to do with the quality of the game or it being "hardcore" because it copied more from D2 like you imply.
D3's sales wouldn't have been lower either if it copied more from D2.

Biggest difference in numbers comes from people who had very little clue what they buy. PoE's model doesn't even reach that market.

Once you reach the point where your company is practically a household name, momentum carries sales quite a distance. Exceptions to the case are far and few between. Minecraft is probably the best example. But yeah, in a nutshell, I can name a few action rpg dungeon crawlers that were more innovative, played smoother... overall were just more fun. IMHO Torchlight II and Grim Dawn were a lot more entertaining than D3. They just had the misfortune of not being Blizzard games.

abija

Prophet
The problem with TL2 (especially) and Grim Dawn are shitty complacent decision makers.
TL2 was a game to build the household name on and they let it die to work on retarded shit.

Aildrik

Savant
I agree wholeheartedly on TL2 and sadly this is what happens when you have a tiny studio with a much smaller budget vs an established company (Blizzard) with, quite literally, a money tree (WoW) showering you with a steady stream of fiat bux. I am just saying that on release, I felt TL2 and Grim Dawn had more polish, more innovation and were just all around more enjoyable games than Diablo 3.

Blizzard - to their credit - has since made a lot of improvement to D3. TL2 was basically released, maybe patched a few times but the studio moved on and we got Hob which I played for like 2 hours and haven't touched since. I think Grim Dawn at least has had a few DLC, content patches, etc. TL and TL2 were made by the old Blizzard North team (of Diablo fame) if I recall so clearly these guys know how to do a loot grab action RPG, apparently, a lot better than new Blizzard and Jay Wilson. And that is just fucking sad.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Diablo 3 made it's money.. but it couldn't be squeezed for more profit using the standard Blizzard formula (Sell Expansions at full retail price every 2 years). Also massive hype and the assumption Blizzard would continue the simple formula that Diablo 2 had perfected and carried along. I would guess, Most people probably pre-ordered D3 the minute they could - out of pure thirst.

To draw a comparison - The Starwars Solo film didn't do poorly because people think Solo sucks.. It's doing poorly because all the other Star Wars films sucked before it, so even if it's a good movie nobody gives a fuck anymore. Diablo 4 might be Blizzard's Solo movie if they don't market it as something else.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I don't know, I thought Diablo 3 was a quite good arg actually - I did play it only recently so probably at release it must have been much worse.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
It's good on technical level (Flow of combat, the "feel" of using abilities and such) but the core of what makes Diablo addictive isn't there. They went from "lol we never tested Inferno so hardcore xD" to "Get legendary equipment within 5 hours of play, then proceed to look for tiny +0.02% stat upgrades forever". I mean, shit, you get handed a legendary set for essentially doing nothing at max level in the seasons now.

Mazisky

Magister
I don't know, I thought Diablo 3 was a quite good arg actually - I did play it only recently so probably at release it must have been much worse.

It is, but since it's from Blizzard u're not allowed to be positive about it in this edgelords butthurt garbage hole of a forum.

Diablo 3 combat gameplay feeling is 10 times better than PoE shit one and it is still unmatched 6 years laters, despite all the forgettable clones released in these years.

ArchAngel

Arcane

It is, but since it's from Blizzard u're not allowed to be positive about it in this edgelords butthurt garbage hole of a forum.

Diablo 3 combat gameplay feeling is 10 times better than PoE shit one and it is still unmatched 6 years laters, despite all the forgettable clones released in these years.
I hope you don't have children. World does not need your faulty genes :P

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I remember Diablo 3.
Character building did not matter a single bit since you can at any time completely change any selection.
There are no decisions to be made, nothing to think about.
No true summoning class, either...
You can just waltz through the end game half asleep.
Yes, truly a masterpiece.

Compare that with PoE where you need to actually think about which paths to take when leveling up - and think about it well, lest you end up with some dysfunctional crap that won't even carry you through to the end game.
Or the ways to combine skill gems leading to the most dynamic skill system in any hack & slash.
Guess that just makes it clear which is the one for casuals and which is the one for :obviously:

The good thing is that I don't really see a way that a Diablo 4 could be any worse than Diablo 3.
This has nothing to do with Blizzard - though of course you know that and are just grasping for arguments to your lost cause. I like Blizzard, they produce high quality games. Diablo 3 is a high quality game. High quality casual game, but high quality nonetheless.

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
He said combat gameplay feeling is better, you list 3 paragraphs of unrelated stuff.
Also, D3 solo grift pushing is more intense than anything in PoE so cut the superiority bullshit.

Yeah PoE is more complex (way way more) but translated in gameplay it devolves mostly in a dumb aoe fest. D3's builds are actually more varied even if they tried to copy the PoE blitz aoe spam a bit too much.

There's no competition though atm, PoE is actively developed and kept fresh, D3 has been on life support for couple of years.

Mazisky

Magister

I remember Diablo 3.
Character building did not matter a single bit since you can at any time completely change any selection.
There are no decisions to be made, nothing to think about.
No true summoning class, either...
You can just waltz through the end game half asleep.
Yes, truly a masterpiece.

Compare that with PoE where you need to actually think about which paths to take when leveling up - and think about it well, lest you end up with some dysfunctional crap that won't even carry you through to the end game.
Or the ways to combine skill gems leading to the most dynamic skill system in any hack & slash.
Guess that just makes it clear which is the one for casuals and which is the one for :obviously:

The good thing is that I don't really see a way that a Diablo 4 could be any worse than Diablo 3.
This has nothing to do with Blizzard - though of course you know that and are just grasping for arguments to your lost cause. I like Blizzard, they produce high quality games. Diablo 3 is a high quality game. High quality casual game, but high quality nonetheless.

Man, i was referring to the actual slashing monster feel, wasn't that clear? the combat gameplay when u right click on stuff, response, animations, ecc.

All competitors did a lot of things better than Diablo 3 but failed in this specific aspect. I wanna a game able to repllicate that and improve on everything else.

Since this aspect is the core of the game (u click and kill mobs from start till end), it can't be ignored.

abija

Prophet
Let him pretend PoE is not 90% farming trivial content (or 99.(9)% if you don't trade).

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Man, i was referring to the actual slashing monster feel, wasn't that clear? the combat gameplay when u right click on stuff, response, animations, ecc.

All competitors did a lot of things better than Diablo 3 but failed in this specific aspect. I wanna a game able to repllicate that and improve on everything else.

Since this aspect is the core of the game (u click and kill mobs from start till end), it can't be ignored.
Oh, the combat is more fluid and responsive in D3, alright.
I just don't see how that matters if the entire rest of the game is completely trivial.

It isn't like PoE is unbearable in this regard.
If it was, nobody would play it.

Let him pretend PoE is not 90% farming trivial content (or 99.(9)% if you don't trade).
Grind?
In a hack & slash game?
Preposterous!

Mazisky

Magister

Oh, the combat is more fluid and responsive in D3, alright.
I just don't see how that matters if the entire rest of the game is completely trivial.

It isn't like PoE is unbearable in this regard.
If it was, nobody would play it.

Grind?
In a hack & slash game?
Preposterous!

what i am trying to say is that I just wanna a game with responsive combat of Diablo 3 and depth of PoE, because actually the 2 things don't exist togheter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom