Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Quest For Infamy - A Quest for Glory-like Indie Adventure Game

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
RISE FROM THE GRAVE OF 2016!!

So, I've been working on v2.0 of Quest for Infamy. The game needed a few minor bugfixes, and a couple of tweaks, some graphical changes, etc. We've been slowly working on this forever, and it looks like we're close to finishing it. Which is pretty cool. But I was working on the game this morning, and it's absolutely friggin' huge. I really don't know how the hell we did this and managed to have it work (mostly). I think it's a pretty cool game, and I'm revisiting something we started making six years ago now (Feb 2012). That's the nice thing about making a retro adventure game - it was already "old" when we made it, so going back six years later and putting a little shellac and new paint on it is more for the fun of it.

It's only some minor changes, but probably the biggest change is we changed the resolution from 320x240, a square ration, to 320x200 - a rectangular one. Which means some scenes have a bit cropped off of them - each screen gets treated individually and the art is rendered each time. Some rooms, where the full art is important, will scroll slightly, others appear cropped - but the full artwork is still in the source. Kinda neat.

I'm proud of this game, and glad we took the time and effort to make something like this. I doubt we'll ever get the chance to do something as ambitious, but who knows. I'm also concurrently finishing up QFi:Roehm to Ruin, a short prequel game that expands on the intro in QFI. That's turned out pretty cool, too. We're currently beta testing both right now, and if you're interested in testing, giving me notes, etc. - let me know. I always like to get eyes on the stuff we're doing.

I have to thank everyone for their support here. Adventure game fans often pay a lot of lip service - they talk a great game, but rarely support new things. Many of you here bought the game, played it, liked it, supported it. (I know some didn't like it, but fuck 'em, heh heh.) I really do appreciate the support of people who put their money where their mouth is, so to speak.

Bt

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
probably the biggest change is we changed the resolution from 320x240, a square ration, to 320x200 - a rectangular one. Which means some scenes have a bit cropped off of them - each screen gets treated individually and the art is rendered each time. Some rooms, where the full art is important, will scroll slightly, others appear cropped - but the full artwork is still in the source.
Does this mean we'll get a choice to pick which format we want? I'm not a fan of either cropping or scrolling and I'd much rather play a square game if it means not having either of these.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Does this mean we'll get a choice to pick which format we want? I'm not a fan of either cropping or scrolling and I'd much rather play a square game if it means not having either of these.

I wish AGS would let us do that, but we can't pick a format - just one. Though the fan base is small enough that if you want the 320x240 version, I can probably compile that up for you personally. I wish the engine had a choice like that, but alas, it doesn't and we're not in the engine creation business.

Bt

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Just out of curiosity, why did you change the format? Is it how you wanted to do it in the first place but couldn't? or is this something people have been asking for?

alkeides 2.0

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
RISE FROM THE GRAVE OF 2016!!

So, I've been working on v2.0 of Quest for Infamy. The game needed a few minor bugfixes, and a couple of tweaks, some graphical changes, etc. We've been slowly working on this forever, and it looks like we're close to finishing it. Which is pretty cool. But I was working on the game this morning, and it's absolutely friggin' huge. I really don't know how the hell we did this and managed to have it work (mostly). I think it's a pretty cool game, and I'm revisiting something we started making six years ago now (Feb 2012). That's the nice thing about making a retro adventure game - it was already "old" when we made it, so going back six years later and putting a little shellac and new paint on it is more for the fun of it.

It's only some minor changes, but probably the biggest change is we changed the resolution from 320x240, a square ration, to 320x200 - a rectangular one. Which means some scenes have a bit cropped off of them - each screen gets treated individually and the art is rendered each time. Some rooms, where the full art is important, will scroll slightly, others appear cropped - but the full artwork is still in the source. Kinda neat.

I'm proud of this game, and glad we took the time and effort to make something like this. I doubt we'll ever get the chance to do something as ambitious, but who knows. I'm also concurrently finishing up QFi:Roehm to Ruin, a short prequel game that expands on the intro in QFI. That's turned out pretty cool, too. We're currently beta testing both right now, and if you're interested in testing, giving me notes, etc. - let me know. I always like to get eyes on the stuff we're doing.

I have to thank everyone for their support here. Adventure game fans often pay a lot of lip service - they talk a great game, but rarely support new things. Many of you here bought the game, played it, liked it, supported it. (I know some didn't like it, but fuck 'em, heh heh.) I really do appreciate the support of people who put their money where their mouth is, so to speak.

Bt
Are you still working on the sequel?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
People asked for it - the square ratio confused the squares who were like "Why come this doesn't fill my monitor screen?"
Please please please keep the original format. If it's not too much work and you can include two binaries that'd be perfect but I could also understand that it's not worth the effort.

Although... since I have the game on GOG I guess I could always store the current downloader and patch and keep using those :P

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Yeah, the only problem with this is I don't want to include two binary/exes in a package, because the file size is pretty huge to begin with. Having two binaries would just confuse the standard user as well. Like I said, though, I'll render up a 320x240 version of the game and make it available to anyone who requests it specifically.

Bt

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Yeah, the only problem with this is I don't want to include two binary/exes in a package, because the file size is pretty huge to begin with. Having two binaries would just confuse the standard user as well. Like I said, though, I'll render up a 320x240 version of the game and make it available to anyone who requests it specifically.

Bt

I want one

ushas

Savant
If you'll also have a linux 320x240 version would be also interested, otherwise np.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Nice, i'm eager to play the sequel.

Quest for infamy is one of the few games i finished recently.

Which brings my next question, any release date ?

Any other Quest for Glory V like released games someone would recommend ? (i tried heroine quest but i can't really get into it for some reason )
I've also heard of Hero U (even tried the battle demo which i found terrible ) and the other one in development (forgot the name though :P )

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Mage's Initiation by Himalaya is another QFG-like in production right now, probably the one you're thinking of.

I don't have a release date for QFI: Roehm to Ruin yet... it's close, but not finished. We're still doing a lot of testing and tweaking. It's a much smaller game than QFI, though. I think it's fun for an adventure game with some RPG elements to it. We'll see.

Bt

Nice, i'm eager to play the sequel.

Quest for infamy is one of the few games i finished recently.

Which brings my next question, any release date ?

Any other Quest for Glory V like released games someone would recommend ? (i tried heroine quest but i can't really get into it for some reason )
I've also heard of Hero U (even tried the battle demo which i found terrible ) and the other one in development (forgot the name though :P )

You should try Heroine's Quest again. I personally find it better than even the original QFGs. It's that good.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Mage's initiation, that's the one is was referring to, seems more promising than hero-U if hero-U demos are "up to date"

As for heroine quest, i tried it twice, it's not taking, i'm not saying it's bad, some elements are good, i'm just not hooked by the story nor the riddles and i'm not "taken" by the ambient which is a mix or the graphic and sound interface and the story, probably.
Or i'm just allergic to pixelated stuff.
Maybe it's just nostalgia talking but i don't think it's even close to QFG (even though i only played IV and V, maybe the third too, i'm not sure, wasn't yesterday :P ), beside, there is no paladin in heroine quest, how could it be as good without any paladin ?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
yeah, i tried a thief in HQ, found it lame as hell, then played a mage and got bored, magic is lame and unnecessary there, unlike in QFG , now i'm just waiting for quest for infamy 2 and mage's initiation :P

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
I thought Heroine's Quest was great. They honestly could have (and should have, in my opinion) charged for it. It's a quality adventure/RPG, and there's not a lot of them out there. I know how much it takes to make a game like that, and it's impressive. I doubt we'll all get any more games like this in the future (aside from Mage's). I mean, I wish I had the time and resources to do it - and if I was independently wealthy, heh, I'd keep funding games like QFI and Heroine's Quest even if they don't make money just because I love to play them.

Bt

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
It's good, but I preferred Tales of two kingdoms or QfI.
I thought HQ have lots of little unpleasant stuff. It doesn't convey well that at some points, you'll be blocked from options, forcing you to metagame a lot. it makes you walk too much until a certain point in the game. Fights are so-so (but a QfG legacy, we could say :)). I had a much better time with lowered difficulty to avoid the RPGish stuff, and it wasn't the case in QfG games.
This are nitpicks, of course, it *is* a great game, and I would gladly have paid 20 bucks for it, but it could be better in my opinion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom