Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Demons Age by Bigmoon Studios - turn-based RPG "highly inspired" by Chaos Chronicles

ArchAngel

Arcane
Could it be that they rushed the game out trying to establish copyright before Realms Beyond was announced (and sued them)?
Why would they have to do that? What does Realm Beyond have to do with Demons Age?!

EDIT: Ah i see Hobgoblin42 on their forums. I assume this game is being made by devs that worked on Chaos Chronicles?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Wait,what they removed it now? :lol:

Could it be that they rushed the game out trying to establish copyright before Realms Beyond was announced (and sued them)?

Or they now found about about Realms Beyond and decided to fuck over poor old Hobgoblin again.
inb4 Realms Beyond gets folded into Demons Age.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
D8SMVtz.jpg

:prosper:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
https://steamcommunity.com/app/331050/discussions/0/1620599015866449138/
Announcement: Store Page
As you might have already noticed, Demons Age’s store page has been removed from Steam due to a DMCA claim. The claim has been made by a company unbeknownst to us, stating that “Demons Age” uses assets from “Chaos Chronicles”. That is indeed true, since part of our team worked on the development of “Chaos Chronicles” project, back in 2014, and under an agreement signed in July 8th of the same year, a part of the payment to Bigmoon Studios included assets of “Chaos Chronicles”. Everything perfectly legal.

We’ve already provided that information to those entitled and we just need to wait for their acknowledgement. Unfortunately, due to the holiday season, the store will not be restored in 2017, but it should be available in early January.

As far as we know, Bigmoon holds all the necessary rights, however, if we have received and used an asset that, for any reason, unknown to us, shouldn't have been used, we expect this to be clarified soon and we have the team ready to create new assets and replace them in the game. What we would like to ensure our gamers is that the game will return to sales as soon as we get the clearance and in the meantime we’ll keep developing the new patch to support our community, fixing what is necessary to fix and adding the content we already promised.

For those of you who already have the game, do keep enjoying it. We value your meaningful feedback and input. If you need assistance, please send us an email to support@bigmoonstudios.com. We will be enjoying some short holidays here, but we will do our best to keep supporting the community.

Explanations aside, we’d like to apologize for the inconvenience this might cause to those that wished to buy the game.

The Bigmoon Team wishes everyone a Merry Christmas and a peaceful New Years Eve!

TFW game actually delivers some real lulz. :lol:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That is indeed true, since part of our team worked on the development of “Chaos Chronicles” project, back in 2014

! I suspect that's a misrepresentation of the truth, at best. Chaos Chronicles was already dead in 2014. What they worked on was "Century of Chaos", an earlier repurposing of its assets: http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=9642

Bigmoon's own community manager explained it here: https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1061459526&postcount=142

Answering your question regarding CC. There is no direct relation, but I believe I can explain part of the confusion…
Back in 2011, Bigmoon Studios was developing a mobile/PC game based on the classic Commodore Amiga "North & South" (game remake) for the former publisher "bitComposer".
Meantime the former developer "Coreplay" was also developing "Jagged Alliance" remake of series to "bitComposer" too.
Both companies were working to the same publisher but we didn't know each other.

By the end of 2011, after we successfully delivery "North & South", bitComposer invited us to develop "Jagged Alliance: Back in Action" to Linux and Mac instead of inviting "CorePlay". We got the information that they wanted us to develop this port because they'd started to have some disagreements between them.

After we successfully delivered "Jagged Alliance: Back in Action", they requested us to develop another game (not "Chaos Chronicles", but based on "Chaos Chronicles") because they told us that "Coreplay" had closed and they wanted us to reboot the project with a different brand. (A new name here. "CC" also the initials, though I don't know if it became public).

However, during 2014, "bitComposer" also entered into insolvency and we stayed "alone", with this project child in our arms and with bills yet to receive… Because we liked what we were doing, we negotiated some assets as ways of bitComposer settling the debts they had with us and we started our own game - "DEMONS AGE".
A new story, a new programming, new concept, etc… but many initial principles shared by the same publisher.

And that's it. We never had any contact with "Coreplay" but we did share the same publisher for a period. We're launching a distinct game. 100% of the storyline, the audio, the level design, the code, etc… was made here.

HobGoblin42 JarlFrank

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Establish copyright in what way, specifically? Ip? Assets?

We own the copyright and have always owned the copyright. Bigmoon knew nothing about Realms Beyond when they released Demons Age on Steam, because we hadn't publically announced the game yet at that point.
They were never in a position to "establish copyright" because copyright had already been established by us a long time ago.

However, during 2014, "bitComposer" also entered into insolvency and we stayed "alone", with this project child in our arms and with bills yet to receive… Because we liked what we were doing, we negotiated some assets as ways of bitComposer settling the debts they had with us and we started our own game - "DEMONS AGE".

The problem is that the assets were never bitComposer's to give away. If this is how it all happened, then BigMoon got scammed by the dying bitComposer.

A new story, a new programming, new concept, etc… but many initial principles shared by the same publisher.

And that's it. We never had any contact with "Coreplay" but we did share the same publisher for a period. We're launching a distinct game. 100% of the storyline, the audio, the level design, the code, etc… was made here.

Then I wonder why the capital city in Demons Age has the same name as the capital city in Chaos Chronicles did.

As far as we are concerned, this matter is over now. We own the copyright of the assets, and we have seen other parallels in the released Demons Age that point to Bigmoon taking more than just our assets.

That's all there is to say about this. HobGoblin might publish an official statement if they keep trying to get away with their blatant plagiarism, but other than that, this is all we have to say about this matter.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What about the console versions? I got the same mail as felipepepe got above.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Looks like they've been keep working on this after the removal: https://steamdb.info/app/331050/history/

Replacing things, I guess?

Post from January: https://steamcommunity.com/app/331050/discussions/0/1620599015866449138/#c1620599015914837628

Bigmoon did get graphical assets and rights back in 2014. We have since then been developing Demons Age.

We did get a DMCA report by a recently created company. They allege they have the rights to those assets as well.

Bigmoon is left with two options:

1- To pass the dispute on to court(s). Each company would then have to present the proof regarding ownership of said assets and discuss who's entitled what.

2- To shrug this off and simply replace the remaining assets.

Despite having all the necessary documentation on our side, option 1 could postpone a final solution to this matter for quite a few months/years. Dragging this situation has never been in our interest. Given that work was already under way into adding more content to the game, we voluntarily decided, out of respect to our players, to replace said assets as part of the new patch and move on. We shall be releasing more content and a graphical overhaul on the game a few months from now. In the meantime, keep enjoying the game and feel free to send us any feedback. We apologize for any inconvenience this might bring our players and we thank you for your continuous support.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The issue was about pretty much everything, but the assets are the most obvious of the copyright violations so we initiated the DMCA because of these.

We're using many of these assets for Realms Beyond, and we're the exclusive rights-holders of these assets. And we obviously don't want our artstyle to be associated with a half-finished piece of shovelware.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Did they know about this? Aren't they sitting somewhere in South America and got the job and assets from the publisher?

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Portugal? Going to live it up down ol’ South America, huh, Mikey.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom