Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dawn of War 1 + 2

Zibniyat

Arcane
I was still pissed at that last IG mission where they cover Eldars who suck out their resources, making the points income way slower.

Wait, that was the reason for slower income? That is so incredibly retarded, the Eldar were pretty much useless there.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Bought 1 and its expansions on sale. Kick my teeth in and learn me how to get to T3.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
and I think I played DOW1 Winter Assault.

From memory: with the exception of Soulstorm, all of the mentioned DOWs are enjoyable in singleplayer.

[...Some irrelevant shit about why Winter Assault is supposed to be "bad"....]

The positive side is that the missions are much more challenging, unpredictable and difficult. I'm playing on the hardest difficulty btw.

That's why WA is miles ahead above the original campaign, which even on the hardest setting is a cakewalk.
Plus, I quite liked the atmosphere of the campaign.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Outside of the previously mentioned DoW, Space Marine and Vermintide games, the only ones worth a damn are:

you forgot Rites of War you huge nigger
And Final Liberation, Chaos Gate, and Shadow of the Horned Rat!
Sanctus Reach is also pretty good despite its uninspired campaign mode.

And Dark Omen.

Seriously, mentioning Total Warhammer but not Dark Omen...
borealesad.jpg
1993 version of Space Hulk never gets any love.
:cry:

Zibniyat

Arcane
[...Some irrelevant shit about why Winter Assault is supposed to be "bad"....]

The positive side is that the missions are much more challenging, unpredictable and difficult. I'm playing on the hardest difficulty btw.

That's why WA is miles ahead above the original campaign, which even on the hardest setting is a cakewalk.
Plus, I quite liked the atmosphere of the campaign.

Your worthless retort is what's irrelevant. I don't play games, not even strategy ones, merely to "experience" what it's like to endure and survive countless waves of mindless enemies who've been given infinite resources and dozens of buildings across every map, without any explanation as to how that actually works considering the mechanics of resource acquisition and management the game normally has and applies to my own faction which imposes serious limitations on my own strategies and tactics. I also don't expect the game to cheat me out of my past achievements, unless well explained how and why that must be; in original DOW, Orks were on a constant offensive so I could accept starting new missions always with some basic units, as other squads were spared elsewhere for the defence and evacuation efforts; here, there's no such planet-wide effort, and it's puzzling where all the units go to after the battle, especially if I get my hands on the most powerful ones.

Playing as the Imperial guard, the "atmosphere" is nonexistent. We know almost nothing about this planet "Lorn V" where the battles take place, or was there any specific reason for why the Chaos forces conquered it in the first place (don't know initially at lest); Imperium of Man (which has the Imperial Guard and Space Marines) is supposed to be one of the strongest factions within the galaxy, if not the strongest, thus expecting the Chaos to just waste their time and resources on conquering irrelevant planets amongst thousands of them is foolish. The main character (General Sturnn) is boring and without anything unique pertaining to his personality, past or achievements, in stark contrast to Gabriel Angelos of the original DOW. The cut-scenes are a chore to watch, nothing interesting ever happens there, no character development (no matter how small or ultimately irrelevant) is presented; I could say they fit quite nicely with the overall blandness of the whole package that is the Imperial Guard's campaign.

Battling the countless waves is challenging and difficult, as I've already said and consider this to be one of the things in favour of the campaign. Stripping away everything else that was present in the original DOW, however, is not compensated by the sheer difficulty. Mind you, even that difficulty is wholly artificial, there's no intelligence behind the enemies' strategy or tactics (as exemplified by the mission where I have to protect the Titan's crew during transport, the enemy simply sends waves after waves trying to destroy the transporter carrying the crew, never bothering to wipe my own base or other units off the map first, for which they would be well capable), only sheer number of (powerful) units backed by infinite resources and countless buildings scattered across the map. The HP bloat is also present in comparison to the original DOW, spending several minutes destroying some random Chaos sorcerer because he has 15.000 (!) HP points, which is on the level of units that belong to the highest tiers, was pathetically cheap and retarded design decision, it literally felt like doing a chore.

Etc.

The Imperial Guard's campaign, thus far, is therefore shit.

Last edited:

Zibniyat

Arcane
The enemy squads also just spawn out of thin air. You can even pinpoint the exact spawn points. :lol: Fully upgraded too. It doesn't actually matter if you invest effort to cleanse the map of all enemy buildings. Such lazy design.

It's one thing to fix the mistakes of the original campaign, but completely another to go all the way to the other side of total retardation which is what's happened here.

Last edited:

Neanderthal

Arcane
Having a play through of Chaos Rising and wondering why the bloody he'll they didn't make the commander of DOW2 a librarian like Jonah, so much more interesting builds and abilities available than force commander Hairgel. Imagine kind of tension and narrative you could screw out of a Psyker facing hivemind, or better yet facing a genestealer cult that is drawing the hive fleet and rooting it out before arrival. Cos defeating a hive fleet is a bit bullocks and got really grindy and boring.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Adds a nice bit of challenge and a bit of cut content if you play OC in Soulstorm engine, using mod that adds OC and WA campaigns to that.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I played these years ago. I didn't like any of the single player campaigns, save for the one "Conquer the world" campaign in Dark Crusade, which was great fun.

I beat the conquer the world campaign on Insane, and remember it being great fun. There are a few levels where you absolutely have to rush to win. If you turtle you are fucked.

Latro

Arcane
ya the dark crusade SP was very fun. always wished they didn't just copy-paste it with soulstorm. there's plenty of ways to add non-linear story to a mode like that, see sengoku rance

hello friend

Arcane
re Winter Assault, is the penultimate map played as Orkz even supposed to be winnable without cheese? You start with zero resources in a race against time. If you try to get your economy up and running, you run out of time, but you're too outnumbered to go full aggressive. In the end I went back to an earlier save, cleared out most of the obstacles, then switched to Orkz at the last second to jet through the gate with a Stormboii. Tried to play Orkz from the start many times, but it didn't seem to be possible without doing some groundwork as Chaos.

Zibniyat

Arcane
You have to use both factions to achieve victory. Victory only for one faction of course (stupid, I know). I used the Eldar to clear the map, since they had access to much better units and vehicles, only to ditch them at the last moment and go with the Imperial Guard. I actually used the Eldar almost the entire time, save for the last 5 min of that mission.

Later I returned to that save, and used the Eldar to win.

Zibniyat

Arcane
Really? Well even if possible I didn't want to waste any more time doing stuff the hard way only, so I swapped back and forth as I saw fit.

Zibniyat

Arcane
hello friend

Only as a hobby. I haven't done any stonework for quite some time, but for the last few days I was thinking about starting again. I've got lots of pieces of stone which are waiting to be converted into rings, or some other things if I get bored of making rings only. I'm really not your best resource of information for that, however, but what I did find out is:

- you first have to see what kind of stone would you like to shape, in terms of its hardness. Since I also often go to nearby mountain(s), I pay attention to particular kinds of stones which I know are "softer" than some more prevalent kinds. They usually have visible crystal structure. They are also soluble in hydrochloric acid, and that is VERY important, because you get to easily clean such stones of dirt and do some final finish if need be, removing excess visible lines created during shaping it.
- when it comes to hardness, I only used this "soft" stone. I can provide pictures of various sizes and shapes that I found if you want to get a feel of how they look in the nature. More regular stones, found in abundance, aren't fit for the kind of work I prefer (making rings), because of two reasons: 1. they're much harder and 2. much more brittle. They easily crack when making holes in them. More... precious stones, however, require more powerful and stronger (diamond-class) tools to shape, and I didn't want to immediately spend money on that.
- you can buy stone pieces cheaply from local suppliers of building materials, if you're interested in that, but they're just regular stone, though with effort can be converted to beautiful pieces of handcrafted stuff. I prefer to use stuff from nature, since I already often go outside there. In the latter case, many pieces of stone have cavities, weak points etc. so careful inspection of 1. what do you want to do with the piece, 2. how large the piece must be to achieve that and 3. are there any flaws that might cause the piece to break during manipulation, are all very important. But this takes time and couple of failures to get to know properly, after a time you'll know it "instinctively" so to speak.
- as for tools, the REQUIRED are: metal files (for stone) of various sizes and granulation (rougher granulation for the early shaping, finer for later), drill and its accessories, sandpaper of various granulations (for final polishing), this thing (but be careful that the stone is not in direct contact with the metal, instead cover the metal with some paper or even handkerchiefs):

144978.jpg

hello friend

Arcane
I can provide pictures of various sizes and shapes that I found if you want to get a feel of how they look in the nature.
I would appreciate that. I'm most interested in trying to make something with jade or malachite, but working with something as expensive as jade without grinding xp on other stones first would be p. stupid. It would be pretty cool to make a moebius ring. That would definitely not be easy, though.

Zibniyat

Arcane
Yeah, jade and malachite are semi-precious stones, much harder (thus requiring tools able to cut through diamonds) and more expensive... though you could say I get my stones for free. When I get time, today or sometime these days, I'll post a few pics.

Edit: I even think that stones I use are calcium carbonate, perhaps with some silicon dioxide and similar. Certainly not made from carbon, since they're "soft". As well as some various impurities.

Last edited:

PrettyDeadman

Hey does anyone want to play Last Stand?
I 've had ~30 hours in this mode when it was part of base Dawn of War 2 : Retribution. Since then it became stand alone game and they added aditional hero. The mode is pretty fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

hello friend

Arcane
Hey does anyone want to play Last Stand?
I 've had ~30 hours in this mode when it was part of base Dawn of War 2 : Retribution. Since then it became stand alone game and they added aditional hero. The mode is pretty fun.
After the tournament bro.

Managed to beat that 5-strength first map only by airdropping all available buildings except turrets - rax, upgrade house, 4x pylons. And even then only by rushing with krak grenade seraphim and taking down HQ. Ridiculous.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom