Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic Scroll Tactics

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
https://enu.itch.io/magic-scroll-tactics
https://store.steampowered.com/app/840100/Magic_Scroll_Tactics/
AS7xDn.png
mng7QG.png

I don't know if anybody else is playing this, the game could be fun, the combat system works fine and I like the big skill trees with reaction skills and such but I've finished the chapter 2 and so far the game has been very easy which is disappointing, maybe I played the demo wrong but I didn't think it was that easy.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Nope, I'm 5 hours in, maybe I'm close to the end or maybe I'm far from the end, I've no idea.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
The game is about 10 hours long counting optional battles but not counting reloads. Talking about optional battles, I can't talk about the difficulty if you choose to skip them, I may try someday. But, anyway, my final impression as is is positive, the first half of the game is very easy but the second half isn't.

The game is composed of about 40 battles which take place on a side scrolling grid. You control 6 characters.

Additionnaly to the main character which is a summoner with her own skill tree, there are 5 races and 5 jobs (guardian, warrior, archer, mage and cleric), each job coming with its own skill tree with active, passive and reaction skills and passive bonuses to unlock. You have points to spend on the tree and the abilities are unlocked only after a while. The skill trees are a strong point of a game, they are big with many possibilities and I've unlocked maybe one half of each during the game, and I've never change jobs although you can. There's a default party with each class represented but you can create your own characters.

There's equipement, mostly banal but not every choices are no-brainers. There's a shop and I had enough money to buy everything I wanted to but once again I did all the optional battles, which give strong items by the way.

Battles are fun, or at least I think they were fun during the second half of the game. I played with a mouse (+ arrow keys to scroll) and the UI was fine, I can't remember exactly but I'm certain it got improved compared with the demo by the way. Being higher than your opponent on the battlefield gives attack bonuses and elementary resistances and weaknesses are effective. Enemies and their skills are midly varied, nothing really original but there's enough meat for the length of the game.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://gematsu.com/2018/07/side-scrolling-tactical-rpg-magic-scroll-tactics-coming-to-switch
Magic-Scroll-Tactics_07-20-18.jpg

Side-scrolling tactical RPG Magic Scroll Tactics developed by Otori Denshi, is coming to Switch via the Nintendo eShop, publisher Mediascape and announced. A release date was not announced.

Magic Scroll Tactics first launched for PC in April. Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam page:

Side-Scrolling Tactical Action

Magic Scroll Tactics is a side-scrolling, turn-based tactical RPG where elevation is the key to victory. Gain the high ground and rain devastating blows down upon your hapless foes, or watch with consternation as your summons have trouble hitting the well-protected enemies menacing them from above…

But never fear! Even if you’re in a bind, you have a wide variety of options at your disposal to turn the tides of battle. Use quick and agile warriors to seize the high ground, flying units to dominate the battlefield from the air, or magic that can roast, freeze, or zap foes, whatever their position!

Detailed Ability Trees

Use the points characters gain each time they level up to learn and improve different abilities. Every class has its own abilities to master, and characters can switch jobs to open up a whole new set of abilities.

Wizards and Pirates and Summoners, Oh My!

Nash is a feisty summoner with a job to do: namely, stopping a group of evil magi from resurrecting an ancient witch and destroying the world!

Along the way, she’ll befriend a young priestess from an ancient and noble lineage, duel an extremely persistent pirate obsessed with loot, and fight hordes of deadly monsters!

Read more at https://gematsu.com/2018/07/side-sc...-tactics-coming-to-switch#eWD2pEcOx4hHAESK.99

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom