Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I didn't know they would show Pathfinder: Kingmaker at E3
MCA said at E3 there would be at least one game announced that he was part of.

But, alas, he also said he's not working on any RPGs that will be announced at E3. So Pathfinder won't be there.

That said, "none of them are RPGs" could absolutely refer to a Bethesda title, even if he's already said he's not working on Fallout 76.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
not ashamed to admit Bethesda's E3 presentation is the only thing I watch from that shitshow, can't wait for it

To be honest, the Bethesda part is always the less cringy, they know how to do proper public appearances and presentations.

As of last year also looking forward to the Devolver 'presentations'.

Last edited:
It's not even that the general idea is bad. I would like to try a good survival type game set in the Fallout universe. The problem is, as we know so well by now, Bethesda cannot design or implement any game element decently.

It's just like open world RPGs are a great idea, but their Bethesda implementation leaves everything to be desired. Any other studio who tries does miles better (Piranha Bytes, Obsidian, CDRProjekt Red, Warhorse, etc).

But in a Bethesda game, the combat will be trigger-level bad, the exploration will suck, and the writing will be suicide-inducing. Character development will make you weaker as you play, and the world will level in most hideous ways (rats clad in power armor or something).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
But in a Bethesda game, the combat will be trigger-level bad, the exploration will suck, and the writing will be suicide-inducing. Character development will make you weaker as you play, and the world will level in most hideous ways (rats clad in power armor or something).

Dude even most Bethesda haters on an old codger complaint site like this will admit they do a good job at exploration and world design. That's pretty much the core of why their games are immensely popular and sell millions upon millions of copies even on consoles where there's zero mods.

Wunderbar

Arcane
MV5BZmU2Y2FhZGUtNzZmNi00ODA3LWIzZDctMjEyMTlkNWQzY2E3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTEwODg2MDY@._V1_.jpg
OoeaWcb.jpg

Cael

Arcane
No. Just no. Why the hell would plants have animal features like that, and most especially why the worst of humanity's physical build? The human bipedal structure is absolute shit for support and damage resistance, and a plant doesn't have to be restricted by the vertebrate 4 limb structure that evolution seem to have forced on our ancestors.

Cael

Arcane
No. Just no. Why the hell would plants have animal features like that, and most especially why the worst of humanity's physical build? The human bipedal structure is absolute shit for support and damage resistance, and a plant doesn't have to be restricted by the vertebrate 4 limb structure that evolution seem to have forced on our ancestors.

it's realistic that your evolved ancestors not be that great at artificial selection.
Artificially select a bad design...

Turjan

Arcane
they do a good job at exploration and world design.
Naw. They're terrible at it and it's very easy to spot unless you're mesmerized by skeletons in cool poses.
It depends what you consider to be "world design".

I think Fallout 4 failed at presenting a believable world. The elements don't add up. The addition of the building system made this even more obvious.
However, the location design in Fallout 4 is top notch, and that's what makes exploration interesting. The world is composed of battle arenas that are often just out of aggro range. Any disturbance (by the player, wandering caravans, patrols) can lead to extensive battles. Some of these arenas are truly interesting. Many locations tell their stories through the objects you find. The Boston inner city is a maze of interconnected locations with full use of verticality that is fun to explore. It doesn't make any sense (for example, it depends on countless working elevators), but it certainly serves its purpose as game element.

The game may be a shitty RPG, but exploration and shooting are quite enjoyable, and the location design has much to do with this.

Black

Arcane
Yes, shooting in fo3 and 4 is amazing, delivering multiple shotgun blasts to enemy's head only for them to go "oof" and lose a whooping quarter of their hp.
Imagine if FEAR was as good at shooting.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
I think the location design failed in Fallout 4. Nothing feels lived in, like the lady who's been living in the diner and refuses to move, and there's skeletons in one of the booths and trash everywhere. It makes no sense, and it's not just that diner; it's all over the place. There's no care for consistency, it feels like 5 different people worked on the same locations without talking to each other and they end up invalidating what each of them are trying to achieve..

Turjan

Arcane
Yes, shooting in fo3 and 4 is amazing, delivering multiple shotgun blasts to enemy's head only for them to go "oof" and lose a whooping quarter of their hp.
Imagine if FEAR was as good at shooting.
You can't be serious to mention shooting in F3 and F4 in the same vein. This just makes me think you don't know what you talk about.

Turjan

Arcane
I think the location design failed in Fallout 4. Nothing feels lived in, like the lady who's been living in the diner and refuses to move, and there's skeletons in one of the booths and trash everywhere. It makes no sense, and it's not just that diner; it's all over the place. There's no care for consistency, it feels like 5 different people worked on the same locations without talking to each other and they end up invalidating what each of them are trying to achieve..
Well, I said that the world itself doesn't make any sense and that there's no consistency in world building. That's clear. It follows rather peculiar, idiosyncratic rules.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I also heard F4 is better at shooting than 3.

And when I heard that I was filled with joy!

First, because the one thing that interests me in a Fallout game is the FPS gameplay and second because, wow, something was made that was better than utter garbage.

We truly live in the best of times.

Turjan

Arcane
I also heard F4 is better at shooting than 3.

And when I heard that I was filled with joy!

First, because the one thing that interests me in a Fallout game is the FPS gameplay and second because, wow, something was made that was better than utter garbage.

We truly live in the best of times.
I said it's a shitty RPG. If you want to play a proper RPG with a consistent world and a story that at least tries to make sense, look elsewhere.

This is the Fallout 76 thread. Does anyone actually expect that we suddenly get some good RPG with this one? What I hear is "Rust clone" or similar stuff. There isn't even any expectation in the RPG direction.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Dude, I'm making fun of it like of any other Bethesda abortion, don't get defensive.

I'm not looking for anything in regards to F4. I'm in fact not even looking at it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom