Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

vazha

Arcane
EuJunkcer-748743.jpg

:hailcthulhu:
Juncker would make a great KCD villain btw. Alcoholic, totally corrupt & utterly devoid of any moral principle and happens to be in position of power. Smth akin to Father Godwyn's evil twin

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Looking forward to Kingdom Come II: Hussite Wars. +M
I can confirm this - KCD2 story will continue the story of KCD1 right where it ended. That doesn't mean there can't a 17 years jump into the future in the middle of the game. Right? But ask yourself how likely that is.
I finished almost all content and enjoyed the game immensely, but 50 hours spent with Henry of Skalitz is more than sufficient. I don't see the point of creating a sequel with the same protagonist, especially given that Henry should already be immensely experienced by the end of the first game and therefore character progression in a sequel would be limited unless the protagonist's skills are reset to zero. Rather than spend more time with the same protagonist following up the plot of the first game, I would much rather see a similar (but improved!) game with different characters and plot; preferably occurring during the Hussite Wars with a player-character who is more customizable.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Unfortunately it's also why the story ends so abruptly. However even then I believe we could have handled it better. And by we I mean Dan. He wanted the story to end this way and we had biiiiig internal disagreements about it. To almost no avail. He thinks it's a solid ending. I don't think so.
I actually liked the ending quite a bit and didn't think it was all that abrupt. It's pleasantly low-key, and there's a sense of tranquillity and optimism about it that makes it stand out from the majority of other games. Yeah, it does smell like sequel bait, but at the same time it manages to offer enough thematic closure to be satisfying. If you're planning to continue the story through several games, it's a pretty nice way to wrap up the first game.

I think the bigger problem is how the last third of the game plays in general, with all the half-finished quests, poor pacing, bug-related issues and so forth. Especially the
siege
part feels awfully drawn-out and rushed at the same time, making you jump through a bunch inconsequential hoops and teleporting you from one half-assed, scripted set piece to another without giving you any choice in the matter. Seriously, half of these quests are shit, and the other half is barely functional at best. I think that part of the game could've been trimmed down a lot, keeping just the absolutely vital stuff, fleshing it out as much as possible and ideally also giving the player some actual choices to make instead of it all devolving into one messy rollercoaster ride.

One thing I'd like to see the sequel improve upon is how the main quest is handled. I could probably go on a long rant about this, but I'll pass for now... I think KCD has a number of pretty awesome quests that are an excellent fit for an open-world RPG, like all those early-game investigation quests with multiple paths through them. I don't necessarily mind a linear story, and I can live with cutscenes as long as they're well-made (and in KCD they mostly are). Still, I think maintaining player agency is vital in a game like this, and too often the game simply takes it away from me in a cutscene, making Henry do or say something I wouldn't want to, or teleporting him to the other side of the map without a proper warning or the option to say no. Some potentially good quests are hampered by too rigid a design, drastically limiting the player's options (the monastery being one of the worst offenders but by no means the only one), which is a bummer in a game with such a heavy simulationist focus. For the most part I found the side quests more enjoyable since they actually allowed me to play the kind of Henry that I wanted to.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Agreed, the ending is great. As I was going through final quests I kept thinking to myself, they better not finish with some unnecessary epic showdown, because it would just feel out of place in this obscure rural setting. Plus It's a really long main quest with a lot of twists and dramatic moments, so having a chilled out ending was perfect.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Unfortunately it's also why the story ends so abruptly. However even then I believe we could have handled it better. And by we I mean Dan. He wanted the story to end this way and we had biiiiig internal disagreements about it. To almost no avail. He thinks it's a solid ending. I don't think so.
Dayum. Nice that you guys are allowed to be candid like this.
I predict a news post: "Codex exclusive: Creative Differences in the KCD team - Vavra against everyone: Did his stubbornness ruin KCD's ending?"

eU46FSC.png

a cut of domestic sheep prime

part of the risk in employing autists is that they may do autistic things

they're a bit like the wild magic of the hiring world :M

Cadmus

Arcane
Im not gonna leave it alone - Smejki give it to me for real - Czech localization ???????????????? Is there any hope or not? I know Vavra kept saying MAYBE MAYBE IF WE HAVE THE TIME but for fucks sake, you guys should know real well how great it was to play Zaklínač 1 in Czech. It fits. It's important because the english makes the game feel fake to me.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
you guys should know real well how great it was to play Zaklínač 1 in Czech.
Really? I couldn't bear it for more than 1 hour. The Geralt's voice actor was godawful.
And regarding Czech VO for KCD, I'm sorry, but our official statement remains the same.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Please don't do Czech VO, most Czech actors are shit and you can't afford those that aren't. Plus nobody really gives a shit. Spend your time and money on better things, like new content.

Or maybe Warhorse employees could finally get paid in money instead of lentil soup and cheap vodka.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Really? I couldn't bear it for more than 1 hour. The Geralt's voice actor was godawful.
The saddest most tryhard imitation of Michael Ironside's Batman I've ever heard. But I only switched to English for the scenes with Emhyr/Charles Dance. Played the whole game in French, much better VO, more immersive. The irony that the French Geralt is voiced by a black actor.

Cadmus

Arcane
Please don't do Czech VO, most Czech actors are shit and you can't afford those that aren't. Plus nobody really gives a shit. Spend your time and money on better things, like new content.

Or maybe Warhorse employees could finally get paid in money instead of lentil soup and cheap vodka.
Then get the good ones ffs. I dont believe people dont care.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Im not gonna leave it alone - Smejki give it to me for real - Czech localization ???????????????? Is there any hope or not? I know Vavra kept saying MAYBE MAYBE IF WE HAVE THE TIME but for fucks sake, you guys should know real well how great it was to play Zaklínač 1 in Czech. It fits. It's important because the english makes the game feel fake to me.

Something is seriously fucked with your ears. Witcher 1 CZ voice acting was the worst fucking voice acting ever created. Geralt sounded like he was half witted constipated retard all the time. His seduction of Triss is legendarily bad:

I am also in the camp of "don't waste time and money on it". It has huge opportunity cost that isn't worth paying.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
To be fair the painfully average, dull translation contributed a lot to the terribleness of the Witcher CZ dubbing. That would not be a problem for KCD but still....no.

hivemind

Something is seriously fucked with your ears. Witcher 1 CZ voice acting was the worst fucking voice acting ever created. Geralt sounded like he was half witted constipated retard all the time. His seduction of Triss is legendarily bad:
it's what made it funny

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Holy shit that Geralt voice :lol:. I remember briefly trying it in Czech before switching to English after few sentences, but I think I repressed just how bad it was.

Cadmus

Arcane

I am also in the camp of "don't waste time and money on it". It has huge opportunity cost that isn't worth paying.

Yes, Geralt sounded retarded. The pay-off in versimilitude was far more important for me than the few bad performances (granted, Geralt should have been done better). In the books he is supposed to sound like this imo without the hint of retard. Beats playing an American guy in a slavic village full of people with BBC accents.The english voice actor did it better in 1 and 2 but in 3 he speaks like a normal person which I dislike.

Zaklínač sounds better than The Witcher.

Czech is a beautiful, precise language and the game would be better in czech for sure. Yeah, duh, don't get shitty actors to voice it.
Playing with ENG VO and czech written word makes my head hurt because I have to be combining and calculating 2 languages and comparing which one is saying the more precise thing.
Don't act like people don't ask for unprofitable stuff from devs all the time. Everybody wants a map editor, mod support, some other changes here and there, free DLCs.
I understand the cost is probably much bigger but fuck you, you ride the national pride wave with this game, you should fuckin put the effort into the VO as well. I think WH know this but can't convince themselves to basically waste the money. Well, make it a marketing strategy or something.KKKolektors edition with czech VO for some bigger price, whatever. As long as it doesn't suck shit, people will be happy.
Mafia had great VO. Flashpoint had great VO. Why the fuck is your argument that they can't manage to make it good.

Master

Arbiter
Smejki

Will you migrate to the latest version of CryEngine for Kingdom Come II?

...or will you just keep on molding CryEngine 3 to your liking?
I can't comment much on that. But from what I gathered the newest CryEngine has completely remade some systems which are crucial for some systems of our own that are dependent on the older implementation. However we could merge some of the new stuff into the older version's codebase and end up with a kind of a hybrid of old and new. But that's all hypothetical. I think the more important question is further optimization of the tech we posses now which we could do less of if we make too big jump in terms of technology.
Curious why wasn't the "leaf" physics implemented?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Smejki how long will each DLC be?

From a new wholly wholesome package like mask of betrayer/throne of bhaal/blood and wine, or an "episodic" format like new vegas DLC?

I havent seen the end of the game yet, but do they chronologically take place after the ending, or a mid game expansion?

(Of course referring to the story paid DLC and not the feature addimg DLC)

any words about pricing/bundling?

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer

From a new wholly wholesome package like mask of betrayer/throne of bhaal/blood and wine, or an "episodic" format like new vegas DLC?

I havent seen the end of the game yet, but do they chronologically take place after the ending, or a mid game expansion?

Can't comment, sorry.
Only the Theresa one is obvious because we described it during KS. You will be able to ask her "So how did you survive Skalitz" and then you play her side of the story around the beginning of the game. But tha's not all there is to that particular DLC!

PrettyDeadman

Can't comment, sorry.
Only the Theresa one is obvious because we described it during KS. You will be able to ask her "So how did you survive Skalitz" and then you play her side of the story around the beginning of the game. But tha's not all there is to that particular DLC!

Can you keep playing as Thereasa after her story ends? Will he has different stats? When maxxed out, will she be stronger than maxxed out henri in hand to hand combat?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom