Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vampyr - vampire action-RPG from Life Is Strange devs

Glaucon

Prophet
Except the way they react to their circumstances is akin to how a "liberal" person from the XXI century would. Nobody during this period used these word in such a manner.
Those two instances mimic the language of a modern leftist and even if the portrayed individuals shared similiar grieviences they would respond in a fashion that would reflect the times they were born in.
So your big problem isn't the existence of these conversations or perspectives, it's that the exact language used is anachronistic?
language, tone, context--little things do indeed matter

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Last edited:

MiX

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
All we need to add is a discussion about incels and we will have condensed the codex into one thread

I thought this was dumb at first. Then I considered it for a while and realized that it's awesome for both narrative and gameplay reasons.

It never was dumb, it's just that people are too used to Masquerade/Buffy/True Blood/whatever.

But first, on earth as vampire sent,
Thy corse shall from its tomb be rent,
Then ghastly haunt thy native place,
And suck the blood of all thy race.

There from thy daughter, sister, wife,
At midnight drain the stream of life,

Yet loathe the banquet which perforce
Must feed thy livid living corse.

Thy victims ere they yet expire
Shall know the demon for their sire,
As cursing thee, thou cursing them,
Thy flowers are withered on the stem.

Wet with thine own best blood shall drip
Thy gnashing tooth and haggard lip;
Then stalking to thy sullen grave,
Go---and with Gouls and Afrits rave;
Till these in horror shrink away
From Spectre more accursed than they!

Barbarian

Arcane
Where is Oswald? He isn't "down by the canal" anywhere.

You mean the drunk who got separated from his friend on the way to the hospital? You find him in the sewers when you go after the guy who was talking with the nurse by the boat. Careful because I suppose if you miss him he dies(he is being attacked by Skals when you find him).

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Found him. He won't leave the sewers, though, and I can't tell the other guy I found him. Might be a bug.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Buahahahahaha amazing,the game just decided to fuck me over with its buginess :).
It send me back to level 1 and locked me out of upgrading anything.....
bug_10.png

You have 68k XP. Looks like you can respec.
Nah it is locked out,don't even know from where those 70000 came. I had maybe around 10.

Maybe a anti-pirate TRAP :D
Nah it was a bug. If it was a pirate trap,then it is kind of pointless. I fix it with 10 minutes in CheatEngine,it is not like there is a pirate that doesn't have it :). Now i have all the skills,even if i don't use them. They are pretty useless. Everything dies from one or two hits from my fully upgraded mace. Also it is not even a cheat the thing i did,i had all the useful skills before the bug.

Anyway,i am now a few chapter deep and have met all the people in the game. Must say that the writing is an endless downward spiral. Bu now i am thoroughly confused by the words and the actions of people and my illustrious communist protagonist. By now i have the feeling that this game is not an rpg in any shape or form. It is clear that the writer wrote himself.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Found him. He won't leave the sewers, though, and I can't tell the other guy I found him. Might be a bug.

Don't remember in particular but the game might have a trigger for getting him out of sewers after which he is recognized.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
At first, you want to know where they are going to go plot-wise. There isn't a clearly outlined main plot, so that's kind of interesting, I guess. Some conversations end too abruptly and I feel like that's due to the budget limitations of the full VO rather than a natural ending. And yeah, combat, while not entirely mindless, can easily become routine when you have a hacksaw and scalpel with the blood draining upgrades, you can spam blood attacks after that (like claws and healing) and it's gg.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

this made me lol a bit:

kBhK8hB.png

emulating the 9/10 scores on the Steam featured image trick, but sans anyone you've ever heard of :M

Generic-Giant-Spider

How is this as a vampire game? Is the story your typical vampire whining about how tough he has it or do you get to be a proper sociopath that manipulates, charms and ultimately tears the jugular out of various people to sustain themselves?

wyes gull

Savant
I thought this was dumb at first. Then I considered it for a while and realized that it's awesome for both narrative and gameplay reasons.
On the one hand you're preaching to the choir. I've disliked combat XP since the first time I played a RPG in which you were more than just a fighter of some description (can't recall if it was Fallout)- from then on, having (significant) combat XP in your game is either an indictment that your RPG is just about fighting or that it expects you to fight shit to overcome non-fight-related problems (ie, it's questionably designed). Depends on the game but alternatives like VtMB's (XP for quest completion) or Underrail's Oddity (XP for exploration) are more than welcome.

On the other, like you said "The intent here is really laudable; of course, execution may be a different thing entirely.". If in mechanical terms, making blood both the Mana (like VtMB) and the XP could've worked IF they'd explained why, in narrative terms, it really couldn't. Not without the removal of most human enemies, a psychopath of a MC or at the very least, a blank-ish slate with a bigger degree of agency. The fact your character takes such a care for the people and world around him only to nonchalantly murder unnamed NPCs is jarring, especially in a game this preoccupied with plot and characters. And it makes the fight sequences seem like padding. Worse, when you don't have the agency to sneak (why no stealth, game?) through or use non-lethal means. And yes, you could argue the MC's care for the people with names is merely him preparing his kill, and it can be- except the MC doesn't come across as that cold or calculating.

I loathe to say VtMB did blood/XP better (even though it almost certainly did) because I haven't played Vampyr through and (personally, people might disagree) I think it does a terrific job of masking quests as part of the narrative and making you feel you're carrying out the duties expected of your character rather than just getting a checkmark on your quest menu, and that is intimately tied with the characters that act as quest-givers, most of which you can charm and suck to death.

You should give the game a whirl.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Don't remember in particular but the game might have a trigger for getting him out of sewers after which he is recognized.
You have to sleep,the next night the saved person will be outside and able to talk with you. The Chinese woman later on you have to talk twice on two separate nights to make her go to whitechaple.

Also i would recommend you to not finish any side quests unless you have been asked by the npc to do that shit,preemptively finishing some shit could fuck up their clues.

wyes gull

Savant
Also, and I can't believe I didn't pick up on this earlier but THE MAIN CHARACTER DOESN'T FUCKING GRUNT ENOUGH.

tom-hardy-taboo-fx.jpg

mmmhmmn
I hope this game has a ship.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

How is this as a vampire game? Is the story your typical vampire whining about how tough he has it or do you get to be a proper sociopath that manipulates, charms and ultimately tears the jugular out of various people to sustain themselves?
well, both actually...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
wyes gull he grunts a lot when he use his special vampiric powers to talk with people about trivial shit.

...to make her go to whitechaple.
Jack???
If only,it would have been an improvement.

LoL the clues that you have to spend 10 minutes watching the retarded npcs go 5 times trough their 3 scripted actions until they decide to do their hidden one,is the worst thing. Most of those clues are retarded and obvious. A good example is how your mother tells you that she talks with the dead,then you hear her ramble to invisible ghost,but you still have to wait for her do her hidden action to uncover exactly this.:negative:

Cael

Arcane

LoL the clues that you have to spend 10 minutes watching the retarded npcs go 5 times trough their 3 scripted actions until they decide to do their hidden one,is the worst thing. Most of those clues are retarded and obvious. A good example is how your mother tells you that she talks with the dead,then you hear her ramble to invisible ghost,but you still have to wait for her do her hidden action to uncover exactly this.:negative:
Screw that noise.

Be Jack. Come on. The makings are all there! You are a doctor/surgeon. You have Whitechapel. You have special powers to survive bullets and/or vanish as required

First one to stab in the face would be that privilege bitch.

You know you want to :D

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Screw that noise.

Be Jack. Come on. The makings are all there! You are a doctor/surgeon. You have Whitechapel. You have special powers to survive bullets and/or vanish as required

First one to stab in the face would be that privilege bitch.

You know you want to :D
Oh i am cleaning house,also have the feeling that some of the writers hate SJWs. I even ended up fucking a few of the shit stains without trying. When i see a communist angel preaching,i am all:
twin-peaks.gif

Cael

Arcane
Oh i am cleaning house,also have the feeling that some of the writers hate SJWs. I even ended up fucking a few of the shit stains without trying. When i see a communist angel preaching,i am all:
twin-peaks.gif

Good job. The dialogue choices, though. Eww! Just kill them all without bothering to talk to them, I guess is the only way to go.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom