Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

T. Reich

Arcane
i get shellshock each time i think of the pit, eeofol, titan dungeon and the lincoln

the pit = the whole point is that you don't clear it as a light-sider unless you're clinically insane. I mean, from the design standpoint, the whole light side trial dungeon is pretty much The Pit: The Tutorial level. It literally spells out: "sometimes you're just better off NOT fighting".
eeofol = dark side party goes AHAHAHA SHRAPMETAL DRAGON BREATH HAHAHHA, lightside party goes DAY OF THE GODS HOUR OF POWER MELEE ME BRO (yes, even with casters. Actually, especially with casters). On medusas - you probably forgot that Protection From Magic exists. On behemoths - you probably forgot that Harden Item exists.
titan dungeon = hilariously easy to do if you bought a couple of wands with paralyse spell. Otherwise, a couple of invisibility spell scrolls allow you to plunder it with impunity very early on.
lincoln = first room is a bitch, because you don't have your buffs up. Before you enter the ship, enter combat mode. Enter the ship in combat mode, put on your gear. Cast Lloyd's beacon to set mark. Cast another Lloyd's beacon to GTFO. Resurrect eradicated/dead party members, buff yourself, cast Lloyd's beacon to re-enter The Lincoln. Proceed to murderfuck the shit out of everything.

T. Reich

Arcane
MM6 is definitely more difficult than MM7:
1) there are actually TONS of mobs to fight, everywhere you go. MM7 actually has quite a modest amount of mobs.
2) Every level-appropriate dungeon is an endurance run. There are no "easy" dungeoms in MM6, just varying degrees of hard unless you're grossly overleveled and/or overpowered. MM7 has plenty of "baby" dungeons where you can't possibly fail to clear them completely on the first go unless you went in weak on supplies.
3) Effect-to-cost ratio of spells is rether low. In MM7, you really get your "money's worth" from the spells once you hit M+ levels. Again, coupled with #2, makes MM6's dungeons relatively harder to clear unless you abuse the good old beacon-to-temple combo.
4) No dusgustingly OP artifacts. MM7 features quite a lot of those, and they're easier to come by.
5) Fewer party buffs.
6) Much more significant monster resistances. MM7 features very little enemies that are outright immune (or even highly resistant) to one or more elements. MM6 makes you think hard how to use magic on enemies, forces you to mix-and-match. MM7 lets you go ham with a single spell of your choice most of the time.
7) Unfair fucking enemies. MM6 features a whole roster of those. MM7? Don't make me laugh. Sure, the dark side caster mobs will cause you pain, and the light side caster mobs will dispel your shit now and then. But item breaking attacks are not an issue anymore due to easily available item fortification, exploding enemies stop being an issue once you get your fire res up, and everything else can and will get powered through because you're playing a MM game.

madrigal

Augur
This is what confuses the fuck out of me with MnMs though... Even long-time players who know the games inside and out can't agree on what is what.

I keep finding completely opposing statements very extreme in their nature all over the place.

"A party of only druids on 7 is the most op shit ever!" then another guy would be "Druid is the most useless class in 7!"

Does anyone agree about anything about those games?
It can be both depending on what point of the game you are at and how you play the game. Druids can be overpowered early on because they get about twice the spell points due to drawing from cleric and sorc. But they can be considered useless in the endgame compared to light and dark magic. If you have a mixed party you might notice that Druid is doing a lot of heavy lifting in the beginning and always the last to run out of spell points, but in the end game they are not as useful.

Curratum

My loss - your gain! You get to feel morally superior and imagine you have a much more refined taste while defending ancient games nobody else played!

Curratum

Seriously though, can anyone tell me why I can't backpedal in a straight line in M&M 8? Pressing the down arrow moves me back AND right.

Curratum

First time playing the 6-7-8 trilogy properly, but started with 8.
gfNjGBN.jpg

Feelsgoodman. I almost shat myself after seeing the dragons proper in the back of the cave, I had been kiting the first bunch of underlings for like 15 minutes, then I was like hmmmmm, what if...

Curratum

Can I ask a bit of sage advice over here?

I'm up to a point in the game where I've swept clean virtually all of Ravenshore, Alvar, Ironsand including dungeons and locales. The main questline wants me to attract 3 factions to my cause and the locations where those factions are are starting to really kick my butt. I may have been building my main char and core party a little wonky and I've amassed some skill points, also just found a dragon, so I thought I'd ask for some help with spreading those skill points so I don't run into an insurmountable difficulty spike due to poor distribution.

Here are the five dudes, with skills and remaining points. I have 7 horseshoes as well.
pZcbgcW.jpg

BqnbGV5.jpg
km3hjlq.jpg
FWXKFW0.jpg
ck6AFbj.jpg

Main question would be, how do you use the dragon? I feel like I've wasted so many skill points getting expert ID Item on the necro, which would have been better spend boosting his magic schools. Same with Merchant and Perception with the main char.

Any advice is appreciated.

Alkarl

Learned
Can I ask a bit of sage advice over here?

I'm up to a point in the game where I've swept clean virtually all of Ravenshore, Alvar, Ironsand including dungeons and locales. The main questline wants me to attract 3 factions to my cause and the locations where those factions are are starting to really kick my butt. I may have been building my main char and core party a little wonky and I've amassed some skill points, also just found a dragon, so I thought I'd ask for some help with spreading those skill points so I don't run into an insurmountable difficulty spike due to poor distribution.

Here are the five dudes, with skills and remaining points. I have 7 horseshoes as well.
pZcbgcW.jpg

BqnbGV5.jpg
km3hjlq.jpg
FWXKFW0.jpg
ck6AFbj.jpg

Main question would be, how do you use the dragon? I feel like I've wasted so many skill points getting expert ID Item on the necro, which would have been better spend boosting his magic schools. Same with Merchant and Perception with the main char.

Any advice is appreciated.

1st things 1st:

Kick everyone out of your party and tweak the composition to be
Mc
Dragon
Knight
Cleric
Necro

On your MC: Decide if you want to use primarily as a caster or fighter. Doesn't appear to me you've messed up too much, you just appear to be at a bit of a crossroads. Dark Elves should get rogue skills, so this is fine, however splitting yourself between both martial and magical disciplines the way you have is going to give you a char thats good at everything but great at nothing for awhile.

As for your cleric, you've wasted some points giving him Alchemy & Repair item. Need to boost magic skills and meditation. Learning is ok in these games, but I wouldn't prioritize as you seem to have done. It doesn't effect quest exp which is the largest chunks you'll get in the game. Enemies are often plentiful enough also. Dumping points into Learning is just robbing yourself.

Your mage is fine for the most part. I wouldn't have wasted as many skills on weapons, but staff is good to have and bow makes the early game a whole hell of a lot easier.

Your knight also looks fine. Ideally, the end goal is to have a spear in one hand an a sword in the other which appears to be what you're going for. I wouldn't have bothered with any shield skill, but it isn't hurting you. Get him to expert in repair item and don't put any more points of that on your cleric.

As for your dragon, you can't really fuck them up. Dragon skills ftw. And if you make it further, you might be inclined to swap him out..

Anyway, for misc skills (id item, perception, disarm trap, merchant, etc) I would recommend not making these skills a priority. Ideally, only increasing when you start to have trouble with traps or id items. Perception is almost unnecessary when you have access to wizard eye, so I wouldn't bother. The rest can be boosted with items. Take some ore to the item smith in southern Alvar, save, and reload if you don't get anything good. I say item smith, because an extra ring (even a helm if you find one) is easy to carry and swap in when you need to repair, id, or disarm a trap.

Also, don't forget you can get buffs at temples by donating, and once you have good travel spells you can port back to certain pedestals to pick up buffs like Day of the Gods, etc. Also also, make sure your necro has all the elemental resistance spells. Harden item also helps. You actually seem a bit underleveled as well, make sure you're talking to everyone and completing quests as they became available; as I said above, these are your largest exp chunks throughout the game.

Curratum

My current composition is exactly what you propose.

My biggest concern were misc skills - the dragon comes with a lot of those and I already dumped a bunch of points for those in the cleric and necro, should I just keep upgrading them on the dragon, to free up points for magic schools on the casters?

Does Wizard Eye reveal traps and secrets in the environment / dungeons? I wasn't aware of that and should cast it more often...

I may have already blown all my ore on the two smiths in south Alvar, I think they stopped crafting.. I do however have a BUNCH more ore items which I have no idea where to take.

As for travel, I just got water to where I can cast town portal and finally used the bloody book I've been lugging around forever...

This leaves me with two hanging questions - when I started speccing the dudes, I wanted to make the MC dark elf be fire-earth and the necro - water-air. Should I start speccing the necro as the all-four-schools caster, will the dark elf be very useless with higher level fire and earth? Mana-wise, expertise-wise?

The other thing is, I found a bloody tree in Ravenshore. It shows up as a single white pixel on the map. I clicked it out of curiosity and I got an empty bottle on the cursor. I somehow assumed this was a joke spawn that gives you infinite bottles, so I kept clicking merrily. Turned out I was pouring out my pots on the damn tree, I wasted like 20-25 potions on it. What does it DO? :D

Alkarl

Learned
My biggest concern were misc skills - the dragon comes with a lot of those and I already dumped a bunch of points for those in the cleric and necro, should I just keep upgrading them on the dragon, to free up points for magic schools on the casters?

Check what skill level they can reach in what skills (right click in case you weren't aware) and put points into one character only. Can't remember who all gets what, but repair definitely goes to the knight from what I can remember. Disarm/Merchant the Dark Elf. Casters should go ham on magic schools.

Does Wizard Eye reveal traps and secrets in the environment / dungeons? I wasn't aware of that and should cast it more often...

I guess not. I had to look it up, mostly a map spell. Still, I would relegate perception to a lower priority, but maybe not lowest.

This leaves me with two hanging questions - when I started speccing the dudes, I wanted to make the MC dark elf be fire-earth and the necro - water-air. Should I start speccing the necro as the all-four-schools caster, will the dark elf be very useless with higher level fire and earth? Mana-wise, expertise-wise?

Only the Necro can GM all elemental/dark magic schools at the outset. I would focus the necro on all magic, otherwise he'll end up less than useful later on in certain "themed" areas. Dark Elf can go up to master, not a bad backup caster if you build them that way, but I definitely wouldn't offload full magic schools on them alone.

What does it DO?

What it appears to be doing, of course! :lol:

Curratum

Dragon Skill is upgraded to expert/m/gm in a location I am too scared to reach though, it seems to be neck-deep in hostile dragons in Garotte Gorge, according to an FAQ...

Thanks for the Necro tips - I will try to focus all schools on him, should be easier once I stop trying to raise all of his other skills.

Seriously though, is that tree's only purpose to drain your potions while you're gawking at it confused? :D

Curratum

Wait, what... MM6 and 7 don't have auto-trainer notes on the map AND you can't even add them yourself?

But... I wanted to actually play them... Even if I keep track of what place has what trainers, there's no way in hell I'll remember the exact locations in the towns... :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom