Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Queen's Wish: The Conqueror - the Jeff Vogel Kickstarter

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Vault Dweller, you were right: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/eschalon-book-iii.78068/page-7#post-3602138

It's not a huge one, but this Kickstarter conclusively proves that Spiderweb is a brand with real popularity.
by his blog post and various sales report from steamspy he should have around 6000-10000 very loyal fans, which isnt much in the grand scheme. But they are all he needs to survive 2 decades making games.

Iitc each games needs to sell at least 6000 copies, and going by that number, the budget is p much only to feed his family and pay bills, with the rare occasion of commissioning new art (which happens like once every 5 years)

so far the KS has 1300 backers, and it will keep increasing to at least 3000 backers, all thanks due to the bizzare, but understandable loyalty from several thousand people.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I have said multiple times infinitron aint human, he is a robot. He just plug his head into the internet and make an instant search query.

Its not even his ability to find old posts. His google-fu is strong but a lot of people can search. It's how he remembers that VD made a passing reference to Spiderweb in a thread about Escalon III four years ago. Who remembers that sort of thing?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Queen's Wish: The Conqueror is an upcoming crpg from Spiderweb Software. It has been recently successfully funded on Kickstarter by over 1,377 backers and counting.

I am one of the artists working on it and in this speed-modeling video series I'll show you how some of the graphics are made.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
tumblr_m6236ujnC61r9cjqxo2_500.gif

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Jeff made some great games. I'm currently replaying Avernum 1 because I previously played the dumbed down remake before I knew better. The worldbuilding is absolutely top notch, it's intelligently and logically fleshed out as we see in the descriptive texts. There is, to my taste, perfect balance between gritty realism and dramatic high fantasy. The way that finding the Orb of Thralni, which takes some exploration itself, then allows you to access quite a few previously inaccessible areas is a brilliant feeling. I think I would rate it as my favourite RPG period, although I haven't yet played Geneforge since it made my eyes bleed. Liked Avadon too because I haven't played as secret police before and I felt that role+Redbeard was well written.

This new one could end up as awfully bland as an Avadon 4 would have been. But it might be good, if the Queen is well-written and if all three main endings have enough meat to them. The fortress-upgrading minigame is a very bad sign though, I think this will be bland.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jeff made some great games. I'm currently replaying Avernum 1 because I previously played the dumbed down remake before I knew better. The worldbuilding is absolutely top notch, it's intelligently and logically fleshed out as we see in the descriptive texts. There is, to my taste, perfect balance between gritty realism and dramatic high fantasy. The way that finding the Orb of Thralni, which takes some exploration itself, then allows you to access quite a few previously inaccessible areas is a brilliant feeling. I think I would rate it as my favourite RPG period, although I haven't yet played Geneforge since it made my eyes bleed. Liked Avadon too because I haven't played as secret police before and I felt that role+Redbeard was well written.

This new one could end up as awfully bland as an Avadon 4 would have been. But it might be good, if the Queen is well-written and if all three main endings have enough meat to them. The fortress-upgrading minigame is a very bad sign though, I think this will be bland.

Geneforge and Nethergate are my favourites, but you're right that Avernum 1 is top notch.

If Geneforge makes your eyes bleed, then just skip to the later episodes. The last two can be played in a stand-alone fashion without any real issues. Geneforge is unique in terms of the extent to which each faction is developed, and how drastically the story changes in accordance with your choices. Sort of like AoD, although a much different world and pace.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

Geneforge and Nethergate are my favourites, but you're right that Avernum 1 is top notch.

If Geneforge makes your eyes bleed, then just skip to the later episodes. The last two can be played in a stand-alone fashion without any real issues. Geneforge is unique in terms of the extent to which each faction is developed, and how drastically the story changes in accordance with your choices. Sort of like AoD, although a much different world and pace.
A nice codexian fellow has fixed (mostly) Geneforge's 1 vomit UI:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/geneforge-graphix-enhancement.98222/

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Jeff made some great games. I'm currently replaying Avernum 1 because I previously played the dumbed down remake before I knew better. The worldbuilding is absolutely top notch, it's intelligently and logically fleshed out as we see in the descriptive texts. There is, to my taste, perfect balance between gritty realism and dramatic high fantasy. The way that finding the Orb of Thralni, which takes some exploration itself, then allows you to access quite a few previously inaccessible areas is a brilliant feeling.

The introduction in itself is brilliant. You choose your char and class and then : "you are never to see sunlight again . You will never breath fresh air. Or be warm and dry. Or feel safe. This is your punishment (....) you are dragged in chains to the shimmering portal. You breath clean fresh air one last time. Your shackles are removed. Then they throw you in. Welcome to Avernum".

You're thrown through the screen into another world. Simple, direct, efficient.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
A little bit more and i will get a Avernum levels,somebody to throw 3000 bucks! Also for 28,000(till 100,000) you can get that all desired nu sound effects! Spend now,spend big!

Covenant

Savant
So I played Avernum 1 (the 'first' Avernum 1) years back and enjoyed it, and ended up playing The Crystal Souls remake (the latest one) last year or so and enjoyed that too, though I could definitely see that it suffered for being remade for a 'modern audience'.

If I'm ever going to try this game (which looks lackluster so far based on this pitch) it'll be after I finally finish the series, but what should I do for the third one? Go back to Exile III, just to complete the set as anachronistically as possible, or do I go for one of the remakes? Is the latest one really so much worse than the previous one? Most of the complaints about it seemed rather minor - a bit of level gating, horses not being a thing, less weapon types, etc.

Also releasing the same series 3 times and only giving significantly different names to two of its incarnations is bloody annoying when you're trying to differentiate between them all, Vogel.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

75 K REACHED!

100k goals = professional sound artist

$100K Level - Professional Sound Design

Spiderweb Software has always done our own sound design, because we couldn't afford to do otherwise. If we reach this tier, we will act like real, grown-up developers and hire a pro to work on the game. Things like environmental sounds and key spell effects will actually sound good!

almondblight

Arcane
Covenant I'd say give Exile III a shot. It's the most developed of the original trilogy (there's a pretty big jump between Exile I and Exile III), and you'll get to appreciate stuff from the earlier games that's missing in the later one (tons of spells, friendly fire field spells and area of effect spells, larger party, better graphics, multi-tile creatures, etc.).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/619141553/queens-wish-the-conqueror/posts/2211153

Queen's Wish: Second stretch goal reached. More added!

We are thrilled to say that the second stretch goal of Queen's Wish has been reached. We will have the time and resources to make the game bigger and cooler, with a strange underworld nation to explore and interact with. It will be weird and cool.

While the Kickstarter runs, we're working on Queen's Wish. We're not ones to just sit around. We've been doing some research and exploring options, and we are now able to add two more Stretch Goals:

$100K Level - Professional Sound Design

Spiderweb Software has always done our own sound design, because we couldn't afford to do otherwise. If we reach this tier, we will act like real, grown-up developers and hire a pro to work on the game. Things like environmental sounds and key spell effects will actually sound good!

$150K Level - Android Version

At this level, we can afford to get a professional to create and maintain an Android version of Queen's Wish (for phones and tablets). In the unlikely event we get to this point, all backers will be able to download the full Android version.

We've been really skeptical about returning to the Android platform, but we've been able to find a good route to doing so. We'll need to get some freelancers to help with the code, but we can do it in a way we can handle and support. I don't think we'll fund this goal, but we will be able to estimate interest in Android projects.

Thanks again for your very kind support, and you'll hear from us soon!

- Jeff Vogel

Terra

Cipher
More mobile non-goals to the tune of 50k and still nary a hint of music beyond "I don't like it". "We're not ones to sit around" eh?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom