Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Tigranes

Arcane
Ranger and barbarian roll through POTD just fine. Buffing certain classes would have produced an even wider array of superbroken OP combos. Why is that any better than toning down clearly OP stuff? "Oh there's still other OP stuff" isn't even an argument.

I feel like someone should evacuate the elephant in the room.

Interesting. Who is pro-slavery, is there anyone in the game?
Mostly black people.

Everyone, since foreigners as slaves is legal in Deadfire?

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Unlike NumaNuma the setting is mostly okay, but even then it has ANTI-SLAVERY PIRATES?!? :prosper: :retarded:

Only some of the pirates feel this way, you can side with Furante to help Crookspur or Aledys to destroy it. In the latter case, her reasoning is that everyone should be free to do whatever the fuck they want. She’s supposed to be the young, idealistic pirate. It makes sense.

Even though Furante supports the slavers, the Principi are descended from the princes of Old Vallia (they call themselves the Princes without a Homeland, or something), so their leadership doesn’t think of themselves as “just stereotypical pirates who would obviously support slavery because we’re pirates duh.”

If you’re going to go “WTF PROSPER RETARDED” at least pick something better than “THE PIRATES ARENT ONE-DIMENSIONAL SLAVERS?!?!???”

But that attitude of Aeldys is utterly retarded. You're free to do whatever you want..... except when we murder you, or steal all your stuff and trash/steal your ship. It makes precisely zero sense to be a pirate and yet disapprove of slavery. Nor does an ''anything goes, FREEDUM'' philosophy make sense for a pirate captain. A pirate captain is a violent criminal leading violent criminals on missions of murder and looting: therefore, you must keep those under you intimidated.

The idea that pirates can somehow be be libertarians is the most cringey millenial hipster anachronism in the whole game by far. It adds no depth to the faction because it's fundamentally retarded.

Kaivokz

Arcane
But that attitude of Aeldys is utterly retarded. You're free to do whatever you want..... except when we murder you, or steal all your stuff and trash/steal your ship. It makes precisely zero sense to be a pirate and yet disapprove of slavery. Nor does an ''anything goes, FREEDUM'' philosophy make sense for a pirate captain. A pirate captain is a violent criminal leading violent criminals on missions of murder and looting: therefore, you must keep those under you intimidated.

The idea that pirates can somehow be be libertarians is the most cringey millenial hipster anachronism in the whole game by far. It adds no depth to the faction because it's fundamentally retarded.

1) It's not an anachronism. That's stupid. There's no anachronism in a fantasy land having pirates that don't reflect the historical pirates of Earth.

2) Is your imagination so utterly dull that you cannot conceive of a pirate crew who plunders and murders, but does not enslave people/endeavors to free those who are enslaved? If someone is a murderer they must also be a slaver? "Bad" people can't have any morals? In for a penny, in for a pound, might as well pillage and fuck everything that moves and shit in your bed and stab your best mate in the back?

3) How do you get from "libertarian" pirates to cringey millenial hipsters? That's ridiculous. It's a common idea in fiction to have "free pirates" who travel the seas raiding the local naval force or wealthy traders and drinking rum, but who still have some moral guidelines/oppose what they see as injustice/etc. I don't really know what Aeldys does, because I didn't pay that much attention to the Principi, but she could very well raid Rautaian/Vailian ships because she sees them as powerful, having excess wealth, etc., while still freeing slaves because they're the underdog, the weak one. Or she could have been a slave herself before becoming a pirate and hates slavery for a reason as simple as that.

4) When you heard the story of Robin Hood, did you say "Wait one moment! Thieves are criminals who steal from people, they can't possibly believe the people they're stealing from have a right to ownership, and so a thief cannot possibly believe anyone has a right to ownership--if a thief steals from the rich, he must therefore steal from the poor and this story is anochronistic hipster rubbish! Ah-hah! I see by the look on your face that you are bamboozled once again by my most superior capacity for deduction."

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
No, those SJW pirates are anathema REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
:deathclaw:

Vatnik
Pirate Internet Defense Force has been activated!

Pirates are nice, when they meet people they have a grudge against.....

''The Príncipi frequently target Vailian Trading Company ships. Remembering that the first families could not find shelter in the Republics during their voyage, the Príncipi subject even surrendering crews to (painless) humiliations, such as leaving them all stranded in their smallclothes.[3]''
https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Príncipi_sen_Patrena

Have you ever seen a faction of pirates more limp wristed than this?

Trashos

Arcane
By what I am reading here, apparently the status quo in the region is pro-slavery. On these grounds, maybe it makes sense that the pirates are against slavery. It could be their way of appealing to and attracting people by offering an idealistic alternative.

I do agree that it is a bit hard to imagine, ships are usually tough dictatorships even when they are not into killing and plundering, and the older unsafer ships were dictatorships x 1000.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
201806061824001.jpg

thinking.png

jf8350143

Liturgist
You know, after you free the slaves and return to Aeldys, she will tell you that most of the freed slaves have joined her as her crew member.

It's not like she is doing it for free and throwing her money and resources away, she just sends the Watcher to do her bidding and being rewarded with bunch of extra crews, pretty sweet deal if you ask me. Also since Furrante has established relationship with the Slavers, it's only natural for her to go against them to weaken Furrante. So what's so hard to imagine again?

The same thing happens with RDC as well, they will congratulate you for "doing the right thing and free those innocent people" with a fake smile, while their army taking the island as their new fortress.

Last edited:
Vatnik
By what I am reading here, apparently the status quo in the region is pro-slavery. On these grounds, maybe it makes sense that the pirates are against slavery. It could be their way of appealing to and attracting people by offering an idealistic alternative.
This would have been fine actually, if it was more of a recruiting strategy - after all, they can also ally with the lower castes in Neketaka. But instead of being presented as a pragmatic/naturally occurring thing it's presented as a weird 'muh freedum' ideal.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Subversive social movements do have the tendency to offer an alternative to the status quo, isn't that the point?

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I like to judge the success of games by how much r34 there is. So far I've only found ONE picture for PoE.
e: okay I checked again and there are few more but they're mostly gay Eder stuff

Last edited:

Sizzle

Arcane
I agree with you,they should have made the pirate fort in the beginning your base. The game is such a wasted potential. Also Nantucket gets boring after an hour or two.
The pirates theme is terrible, with or without base.

If Vince was doing a pirate-themed game, you would already have a Jolly Roger flag tattooed on your left buttock (the right one being reserved for Miltiades).

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Anyway, they should have chosen to explore Wael's realm instead of Rymgrand's in the first DLC. If you gonna explore one of the Gods in a DLC, pick the one that is most elusive. Wael's realm could end up being something like Maklavian mansion in VTMB. Rymgrand has nothing interesting about him, it's probably just gonna be spooky ghosts going 'boo' and shit.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I do agree that it is a bit hard to imagine, ships are usually tough dictatorships even when they are not into killing and plundering, and the older unsafer ships were dictatorships x 1000.

Interestingly enough, pirate ships were democracies (in theory). Probably why they failed.

https://historynewsnetwork.org/article/158274

The British were known to round up able-bodied men and press them into naval service (press gangs). Part of the allure of piracy was not being subject to a master, you followed who YOU chose.

I can totally believe that anarchistic pirates would be anti-slavery.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Interestingly enough, pirate ships were democracies (in theory). Probably why they failed.

The British were known to round up able-bodied men and press them into naval service (press gangs). Part of the allure of piracy was not being subject to a master, you followed who YOU chose.

You would be right. Something like a third of Caribbean pirates were escaped slaves. Pirates loved to go after slave ships (Blackbeard's flagship was a stolen slave ship). Sometimes they'd burn everyone on board alive, but most of time they'd recruit the cargo.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

You would be right. Something like a third of Caribbean pirates were escaped slaves. Pirates loved to go after slave ships (Blackbeard's flagship was a stolen slave ship). Sometimes they'd burn everyone on board alive, but most of time they'd recruit the cargo.

Same situation in Mediterreanean many of the pirate captains were captured slaves. A couple examples:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Janszoon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Ward

Piracy is a rough deal, you won't make it if you aren't generous in your press-ganging.

Trashos

Arcane

That's very interesting, and maybe ties in with the anti-status quo narrative. The article is not very well written though ("one historian notes" etc, WHICH historian?), and I 'd have to double check in order to take it seriously. Pirates were still gangs, and that's not how murderous thugs operate usually.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom