Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Ivan

Arcane
I've been much more selective when buying games now that I've been going through my backlog (lots of LucasArts adv games). Though I did finally nab Alpha Centauri
:bro:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The GOG summer sale is going on.

Also, I have a question for Infinitron: Why does the Codex have a recommendation list in the GOG sale? It seems like a pretty obvious fit?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Also, I have a question for Infinitron: Why does the Codex have a recommendation list in the GOG sale? It seems like a pretty obvious fit?

I take it you mean "doesn't".

Those recommendation lists are a special thing for the sale, not a permanent feature of GOG. I assume those sites were contacted and asked to participate.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer

I take it you mean "doesn't".

Those recommendation lists are a special thing for the sale, not a permanent feature of GOG. I assume those sites were contacted and asked to participate.
Yes, meant doesn't.

You guys should try to get on the list. It would be good for AOD and Underail (and perhaps Primordia :agenda: ) and for the Codex. If RPGSite makes the cut, surely you guys can.

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Obv. too late now, but you guys should reach out. There will be other sales. A lot of these things turn out to be nothing more than just asking.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I literally just thought of it when I saw "RPGSite Collection". I thought "RPGSite? Wtf is that? Where's the Codex Connoisseur Collection"?

Oh well, ninja'd.

Irata

Scholar
In case anyone cares... While still tempted by Ultima 9*, I ended up buying the Ultima Underworld collection instead. I had an Amiga at the time they came out and if there were Amiga versions I missed them. Thanks for the advice everyone.

* I have to admit that I have a hard time tolerating 3d games from that time period so that also was a factor in skipping U9.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I ended up buying the Ultima Underworld collection instead. I had an Amiga at the time they came out and if there were Amiga versions I missed them.

So did everyone else, there were never any Amiga versions of the Underworlds.

The Amigas were cool computers way ahead of their time and could do amazing things, but in 1990 it was clear that they weren't gonna stay at the front for much longer, which is why development of 'heavy' titles like Ultima VII and Ultima Underworld shifted over to the PC. Both of the aforementioned games put a huge demand on high-end PCs even back then, so the Amigas never stood a chance of running either of them. The closest thing was a British-made RPG called Legends of Valour, which was trying so bad to be a competitor to Underworld that the entire marketing campaign behind the game was dodgy as fuck.

# The hype campaign for LoV opening up with "Move over, Ultima Underworld!"

# Review blurbs being thrown around stating that LoV had "smoother scrolling than Ultima Underworld" because it was the only advantage LoV had over Ultima Underworld.

# UK gaming magazine editors getting their faces digitally scanned into the game, and then seeing how the game got more favorable ratings from 'certain' UK gaming magazines.

Sorry for the off-topic item there, but being a dedicated Amiga user past 1990 required a certain degree of self-deception (to stave off that 'deer in headlights'-feeling that was on their horizons) and your words reminded me of that.

As for Ultima 9 - it doesn't have a lot of good points, but the 3D engine is one of them. It's easily three years ahead of its time, even though it's a bug-riddled mess. It wasn't until Gothic in 2001 that anything close to U9's engine (and gameplay elements) was released. The only other positive aspect of Ultima 9 is the soundtrack, which is easily one of the best Ultima soundtracks out there. If you're an old-time Ultima fan, then throwing a buck or two at Ultima 9 just for the soundtrack isn't a bad idea... except the GOG version doesn't have it, so don't bother.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
GOG is not what it used to be.
Threads with "problematic" content disappear, but I can't even reply or view my game library with Firefox anymore, so I rarely vist GOG.com these days.

being a dedicated Amiga user past 1990 required a certain degree of self-deception

A good description of the many fanbois and especially the Amiga magazines at the time.
Personally I saw the writing on the wall, and knew the Amiga was doomed. But the problem with the PC was that if you bought one, it took about a week before it was obsolete, so I didn't buy one until 1995.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Threads with "problematic" content disappear, but I can't even reply or view my game library with Firefox anymore, so I rarely vist GOG.com these days.

The game library works fine over here with FF.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Hmm...I had to install Opera for it to work.
It's really weird how many websites don't work with Firefox for me. I can't upload to Imgur, for example.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I use Waterfox and it all works fine.

Knowing Firefox, it wouldn't surprise me if switching browsers would also restore "problematic" content to GOG's site. ;)

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

It's really weird how many websites don't work with Firefox for me. I can't upload to Imgur, for example.

Imgur also works fine here.

Turjan

Arcane

I had to uninstall and completely reinstall Firefox after one of the recent Windows updates, because it had issues. It's now working fine.

Redshirt #42

Augur
Picked up the following on the sale:

JuBqvNU.jpg

I've had Outcast on my wish-list for a couple of years. Bought Majesty because of this excellent & intellectual review. Taking a bit of a leap of faith with Into the Breach. I haven't read any reviews/opinions on the it, just hoping it's about as decent as FTL was.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom