Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How do you normally come up with character names?

Iolo

Novice

Generic-Giant-Spider

I tend to use these for the usual classes I play, male and female.

Fighter - Galloway, Crassus, Roman -- Oxanna, Eli, Agatha
Paladin - Alexander, Christian, Rycourt -- Sophia, Joan, Celine
Priest - Cromwell, Lazarus, Osmund -- Grace, Audrey, Rose
Ranger - Caen, Rames, Gunther -- Sylvia, Evelyn, Anya
Rogue - Judas, Sicari, Dimitri -- Jane, Natalya, Ivy

For fighters I went towards names that sounded no nonsense and straight to the point, easy to remember and punch in. For paladins I like names that sound more noble and impressive, I try to think of how it would sound if paired up with "Sir/Lady" and go off that. For priests I tend to play the males as either clerical warrior types or darker, cult leader sorts while for females I almost exclusively play them as good, kind hearted healers. For rangers I think of them similar to fighters in that their names are easy to remember but maintain some mystery behind it or being cute and thinking, 'rangers = hunters = woodsmen = forest = sylvan = Sylvia.' For rogues I borrow from history for the men, Sicari being from the assassin society and Dimitri based on the Black Hand of Serbia, and Judas is obvious enough. For the females I like "Jane" because it's so generic and fits well for someone that wants to remain hidden, while the other two fit well for femme fatale types.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I tend to use these for the usual classes I play, male and female.

Fighter - Galloway, Crassus, Roman -- Oxanna, Eli, Agatha
Paladin - Alexander, Christian, Rycourt -- Sophia, Joan, Celine
Priest - Cromwell, Lazarus, Osmund -- Grace, Audrey, Rose
Ranger - Caen, Rames, Gunther -- Sylvia, Evelyn, Anya
Rogue - Judas, Sicari, Dimitri -- Jane, Natalya, Ivy

For fighters I went towards names that sounded no nonsense and straight to the point, easy to remember and punch in. For paladins I like names that sound more noble and impressive, I try to think of how it would sound if paired up with "Sir/Lady" and go off that. For priests I tend to play the males as either clerical warrior types or darker, cult leader sorts while for females I almost exclusively play them as good, kind hearted healers. For rangers I think of them similar to fighters in that their names are easy to remember but maintain some mystery behind it or being cute and thinking, 'rangers = hunters = woodsmen = forest = sylvan = Sylvia.' For rogues I borrow from history for the men, Sicari being from the assassin society and Dimitri based on the Black Hand of Serbia, and Judas is obvious enough. For the females I like "Jane" because it's so generic and fits well for someone that wants to remain hidden, while the other two fit well for femme fatale types.
Where are your barbarian names though?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I usually play female rogue/assassin/sniper/stealth characters and I use my wife's name. When I make alts that are different I tend to use my own or friends'. I guess I have zero imagination.

imweasel

^
I also have zero imagination. I give my PC my name and other characters names of family members.

The only problem is that if the character with my daughter's name gets killed, then I have to reload. :lol:

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
eANW1lk.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom