Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr - WH40K action-RPG from NeocoreGames

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So this is released, based on top sellers this is an even worse launch than PoE2 :)).
Yeah, being 2nd on global top sellers is definitely a flop. :stupid:

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Their servers crashed for three hours because of the 'unexpectedly large' number of people playing.

So they disabled global chat and gave everyone a free Cherub pet, as well as an account wipe.

I'm downloading it now, and have watched enough gameplay to know what to expect. We'll see the proof in the pudding.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
I'm playing right now and it seems there's a massive bug where the last chapters weren't added, so basically I'm still the playing the beta, oh boy, this game gives me high blood pressure:argh:

Alright I'm done, the game is unplayable for now, stay away from it, it doesn't deserve even 20$ in the current state.

Last edited:

LizardWizard

Cipher
- Always Online and the Campaign is solo only :lol:
- Loot Boxes
- One of the worst cameras I have ever experienced
- Cover system is consolfied popamole shite
- Maps are mostly just long boring corridors filled with indistinguishable enemy types
- HP sponge bosses
- Game offered up a Story Time Mode? I can only imagine..

Made a dual rod crit/movement Psyker that one shots everything with Witchfire, feel asleep. I'd say the only neat thing is summoning a hostile chaos demon for using certain warp powers

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Played for 4 hours and requested a refund, let's hope the Steam gods are mercyful and take pity on my wretched soul. Also, don't pay 50$ for this crap, not even 20$, there's nothing to it but repetitive missions with the same small maps, same layout, same enemies, same loot, basically Van Helsing but somehow worse, way worse. A terrible game made by a greedy C- studio.

Renevent

Cipher
Okay got to level 10 and quite a few story missions; also going to ignore early access impressions and just keep it to what I think as a fully released game.

Graphics - some of the art is good, and they've done a nice job with the 40K themed iconography. That being said, it's really uneven and overall most levels look utterly bland and repetitive. I get the game is supposed to support infinite random generation but even by those standards I think it's poor, and frankly I think this whole concept was a mistake anyways (more on that later) since nothing else gameplay wise actually supports it.

Performance - I have a GTX 1080 and a i7 7700K so the game should run smooth, couple that with the fact it's really not the most impressive game in the first place, well given that it runs like hot garbage. There's times where it's smooth I guess but when there's a decent amount of enemies/action on screen it just tanks. And when it tanks it looks horrible...it's not just a minor slowdown/stutter but animations go to absolute shit I don't think I've ever seen a game handle slow down like this.

Sound - Pretty sub-par to be honest. A lot of the sounds are just plain bad, for instance the pew-pew of plasma guns which literally sound like something from a Saturday morning cartoon. Beyond the actual sounds themselves the engine behind them also is poorly implemented with sounds constantly stepping on each other.

Gameplay - Sluggish, clunky, and bland. There are moments where it can be fun and you can get into a groove, but the balancing of enemies is ridiculous. Some of the enemies are just colossal bullet sponges and you have to switch weapons to deal with them, but typically there will be a giant cluster fuck of enemy types and that mechanic is really clunky. They don't give you any skills, it's all tied to weapons, switching weapons puts skills on cooldowns, some weapons are clunky, just basically there's so much jankiness and needless cooldowns it's a hassle to deal with huge mixed packs of enemies. Cover mechanic is fine and personally I think it makes sense for the game world, it's not all that useful though.

Co-op - Only played a single match but it's terrible. Not only did it take ~20mins just to get in a co-op game, but when I finally did something is really screwed up with multiplayer balance. Enemies, even normal fodder types, were absolutely ridiculous bullet sponges. Then when we finally hit some bigger packs with tougher enemies it got to the point I just noped out and quit. There's no real benefit to co-op as far as I know, and if all co-op does is make an already sluggish and clunky game even worse then there's zero point. That's a first for me in an ARPG...multiplayer making the game even less fun lol. Once you take into consideration that this is an always-online game that they feel is almost a MMO in a sense it's just crazy. There's no trading, no hub worlds. One of the most poorly implemented co-op modes in any ARPG I've ever played.

Okay so all the above is pretty shitty and would be enough to sink a game I think. That being said, I am a sucker for even bad ARPG's and can stomach even the shittier ones if there's some fun to be had in the setting, character building, and item hunting. The bad news is the game completely fails at these mechanics as well.

Character building - Lame. Actually, beyond lame. Yeah there's a ton of 'skill trees' but they are the most pathetic skill trees I've ever seen. Almost completely consisting of +some infinitesimally measly % to a stat. Even the keystone 'skills' are pathetic and are like +10% damage for 5 seconds after using a specific type of damage. All skills are tied to weapons (each has 4), but they are all pretty much the same. It's either pew, strong pew, or pew pew pew. That is the lamest version of skills ever in an APRG. In the 10 levels I've gotten so far, and let me tell you those 10 levels are a slog to get through, the way my character played evolved in absolutely no discernible way.

Items - Already touched on this above but aside from the unimpressive (other than the fact it is kinda cool using 40K weaponry) item/skill system the items themselves so far are boring. There's 3 types of armor (at least for crusader), and they visually never change aside from some palette coloring. You do eventually unlock more weapons as you progress but it's a slow, grindy affair and I've been using the same 2-3 weapon types that entire time. Item stats are fucking pathetic with +1-3% attribute/stat modifiers that you barely feel have any actual effect when playing which is further compounded by the fact everything is scaled to you overall power level/mission level anyways. It is one of the blandest items systems in an ARPG I've ever seen.

For me the lifeblood of any decent ARPG is solid gameplay, fun character building, and a robust and rewarding item system. Compared to something like Grim Dawn it's just a colossal failure. I don't think there's much they can do here either, the systems they've implement are so poorly designed it would require complete re-writes to bring them up to par.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
After ~10 hours, I agree with the poster above on pretty much every point. The itemization, especially, is disappointing.

Considering that they did a fairly decent job with Van Helsing in terms of procedurally generated vs handmade areas, here it feels as if everything is procedurally generated, even though it's clearly not (read: storyline/tutorial missions).

Elex

Arbiter
well van helsing is actually 3 games and a final complete edition, so it's a lot of work before reaching the complete state.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Van Helsing also managed to have named epics in the first game - the relics here are just an item grade with one additional effect and one unique power, as far as I can tell. There's no flavour to them, at all.

And the decision to make armour one item slot (with two for weapons/off-hands and multiple slots for minor items with no character) was a pretty bad one, despite their clear desire for visually coherent armour sets. I don't know, it's not a game I can see myself playing for much longer in its current state.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Looks like a rather weak outing, huh. Shame.

The lean times continue. Though at least modern ARPG fans have 1-2 genuine alternatives.

Oracsbox

I was interested in this but thanks to the honesty of the codex I now know it's not worth the bother,thank you all.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I was interested in this but thanks to the honesty of the codex I now know it's not worth the bother,thank you all.
No no no, you got it all wrong. There is a golden rule every sane person here should adhere to:
If the Codex hates a game -> don't believe them and check the game yourself.
If the Codex loves a game -> you can trust them, it is a good game.

Oracsbox

No no no, you got it all wrong. There is a golden rule every sane person here should adhere to:
Not at all I think the codex is more nuanced than that,they're brutal to even games it likes it's understanding where the line is on shit talking,genuine criticism and just disappointment.
Strangely enough I got to play the game later in the day and indeed it was just not something I wanted.
To me the codex hive was vindicated once again.
Hail the hive.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If only the codex had a single, uniform, and unified opinion on video games.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
So this has a new patch, a support roadmap and a price cut of 25%.

Has it improved at all? The forums are either 'game is teh shittest eva!' or 'game is teh bestest eva!' so it's a little hard to find objective analysis.

Background- I've played Grim Dawn for 150 hours :negative: Will I like this?

Shadenuat

Arcane
Why the fuck GW doesn't lend it's franchise to at least above trash level developers for games in above trash genres, I just don't get it. I understand why they don't want to copy actual tb game (then someone would mod the fuck out of it and instead of Vassal people would have real warhammer on PC and stop buying the overpriced plastic and resine); the RPG (just copy fucking Mass Effect, you have reasonably new Rogue Trader book; copy ME formula with a rogue trader or an inquisitor - you already have the classes (militant/investigator/machinator) and morality (puritan/yes-let's-use-demon-box gauge) might be out of their league, but then you have, idk nu X-COM to copy - just plagiarise that together with planet screen, base, NPCs and make it about spehhs marines - you just released your new unbalanced KillTeam book anyway.

GW for fuck sakes you almost lost it before being saved by better management with 8th, stop being such a prudish elitist british prick - make an actual investment for once since DoW. Failing to continue your RTS line with that moba crap which was DOW3, and now making zombies vs plants clones and cheap diablo and lol civilization6 mod-level product with some imperial dudes as units-like crap, I mean, really??

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
The super sekret GW machine from the basement of their main office, used to correctly pick new genres for their 40K IP to expand into for massive profits:

lucky-balloon-spinner-600x600.jpg

Sjukob

Arcane
How do you even fuck up a Warhammer game ? Everything has already been written down and designed for you.

1) Take some popular (or not so) space marine chapter, preferably crazy ones for more slaughter and lulz like: Blood Angels, Space Wolves, Black Templars or even Legion of the Damned.
2) Take some popular villain, the arch-faggot Abaddon and his suite are good choice, and make them do some evil shit, like attack or plan an attack on some important for Imperium planet. For even more lulz and slaughter and even less thought process required you can make a story about fighting on Cadia.
3) Include some fluff shit for grotesque effect like: Inquisition searching and purging heretics, Arco-flagellants creation process, Pariahs dealing with psykers, Astronomican or at least chaos demonz and stuff.
4) Give player some space marines from point 1 to play around with, make them look badass and kill some xeno/chaos trash. Don't forget that they should yell "FOR THE EMPEROR!" as often and loud as possible.
5) Optionally add some more villains for variety: orcz, eldar, fish in power armor, it's absolutely irrelevant.
6) Fill the game with explosions and gore and shit, make sure that everything that get's shot/hit explodes.
7) MAKE SURE TO ADD HUEG ROBOTS WITH HUEG GUNS BURNING DOWN ENTIRE CITIES/ARMIES !!!
8) Make an epic ending, the amount of explosions, gore, shit and "FOR TEH EMPRAH" should be increased by 9000 !!!
9) Optionally add campaign for forces of evil, if you do, change opposing faction to Imperium and repeat steps from 1 to 8.
10) Fans die in orgy.
11) Hell yeah!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom