Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm guessing is your ship is probably not even referenced in the game outside of the ship minigames. Ships are generally known in Pirate settings, does anyone ever address you as 'Captain of the X' ? I remember in Pillars there were a few references to you as being the new 'owner' of Caed Nua, but I haven't seen any evidence of this type of thing in 2 so far.
Yep, I recall several opportunities or moments that plugged in "Captain of the Defiant." Furthermore, there is at least one crew member you cannot obtain, unless you have a sufficient level as renown as a ship captain.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
[
But back to the clarification with the story elements: Part of my point with the story intervention was that Pillars and the higher-level devs on Pillars often got a pass on certain elements, including procedures like project “check-ins” (team would provide a progress report on the game to the owners, although those often got canceled, delayed, etc. which didn’t instill much faith in them) – however, Pillars would often ignore them while I was there.

Now, projects that did do these presentations arguably got damaged and lost time and resources for following the “procedure” vs. projects that didn’t have the same level of scrutiny or exposure (this isn’t anything new in my experience, but the problem is the double-standard – you’re actually punishing teams for doing what you want and indirectly rewarding those that don’t who ignore the things you ask for). I didn’t have this issue on Tyranny, only because I wasn’t on Tyranny for most of these check-ins. Anyway. Hope this helps.

That makes perfect sense, Deadfire structure indicates there were some heavy mid-development revisions. It starts off closely mimicking New Vegas set up but then it just makes a rather abrupt shortcut to the finishing line.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
My main issue with PoE2's story structure is that it exists just to set up PoE3.

Well, that was hastily optimistic on their part.
Honestly, I do not know. I know many rushed to call it a failure sales-wise, but I am not sure a figstarter/kickstarter needs good sales relative to a publisher backed game. Obsidian just needs enough positive reviews and hype to fuel another campaign.

By that same logic, the PoE2 figstarter should never have gotten off the ground to begin with, especially with all the divisiveness caused by PoE1.
PoE sold over a million copies along with a successful KS campaign. 2, however, has a much higher budget, only a fraction of which was handled by Fig. The two situations aren't very similar.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
The immediate problem with lack of sales is they will pull the plug after the 3rd DLC. If it sold as well as the first one, there's a good chance they would go on to make 5 or 6.

Eventually it makes profit and they'll go on to make another sequel. But Deadfire will never be what it could have been. And it doesn't need much right now to be considered at least a modern classic. Fleshed out ship and sea content, couple of good medium-size dungeons and harder combat is all it takes. But 3 DLCs won't get it there.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
PoE sold over a million copies along with a successful KS campaign. 2, however, has a much higher budget, only a fraction of which was handled by Fig. The two situations aren't very similar.
One million copies or not, PoE1 was very divisive in my opinion. Yet, it still attracted enough people for PoE2's figstarter. Hence, my main point is that even if Deadfire slumps in terms of sales, Obsidian just needs enough people to figstart PoE3. Obsidian does not need to use sales to attract a AAA publisher, it just needs to trick convince people to donate to fig for PoE3.

Edit: I am not calling it sound business strategy, but kickstarters and fig are funded by random nerds and not businessmen.

Trashos

Arcane
  • Ship-to-ship combat is a letdown
After all the work the team poured into something that was to be a sideshow, suddenly all reviewers treat it working under the assumption that it was concieved as a core gameplay feature.

I'm not saying it's anyone's fault, and I can't make a suggestion what should have been done instead.

Look at it another way. Why is ship combat and the whole pirate theme even in the game? It is not like it is a core feature of RTwP games and BG spiritual successors. Obviously, Obsidian had a specific new demographic in mind they were trying to approach with these features. That's why they put such features in the game, so that they could advertise them. The plan failed, but that's another story.

Based on the final product, I may even suspect that the people who developed the ship system were against the idea of having ship combat and pirates in Deadfire, and they were just following orders.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
One million copies or not, PoE1 was very divisive in my opinion. Yet, it still attracted enough people for PoE2's figstarter. Hence, my main point is that even if Deadfire slumps in terms of sales, Obsidian just needs enough people to figstart PoE3. Obsidian does not need to use sales to attract a AAA publisher, it just needs to trick convince people to donate to fig for PoE3.

Edit: I am not calling it sound business strategy, but kickstarters and fig are funded by random nerds and not businessmen.

The mistake Obsidian made was pouring in money beyond what they got from Fig. But yeah, if they can do a successful Fig campaign for another sequel, I don't see why they wouldn't (especially if they need that pre-order money). They'd just have to re-use the engine rather than upgrading it, re-use the rule system, and generally make it a smaller, more bare-bones experience.

The commercial failure of Deadfire just means any future installments in the series are going to be made on a much tighter budget.

Danlok

Novice
RTwP ship combat where my wizards can fireball the enemy ship while my crew fire the cannons would have been great. The current system is mediocre at best

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Can you imagine a sequel with a smaller budget led by... Patel?

It would make more sense they'll wait to see how Cainarsky game pans out, no?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can you imagine a sequel with a smaller budget led by... Patel?

It would make more sense they'll wait to see how Cainarsky game pans out, no?

Sure, but if they need some money real quick, I wouldn't be surprised if there's another POE figstarter within the next year. All of those upfront backer payments could really help and it sounds like Feargus isn't very good at planning ahead.

How can Obsidian loot one project to pay for another if they only have one major project going?

Kaivokz

Arcane
How do you have a base damage roll of 206.5? That's not even factoring in any of your buffs/inner death..

I’d have to boot up my game to check, but I think Inner Death has a base damage of 60-80 and probably scales with monk power level. Mine was 28 (10 from empower + 9 from max level + 6 from potion of ascension + 2 from nature godlike + 1 from the talent).

At power level 18 monk gets +190% Transcendant Suffering damage on fists, so if the scaling is similar (around 10% per power level) that would be ~280%, 60*2.8 to 80*2.8 or approximately 168-224.

Kaivokz

Arcane
wait you can get the fire vikings to help you out?
Yeah. I said I’d go get the torc from the dragon and one of the warriors came with me. When I got back, I told their leader Magran was whoring herself out to me instead of him, so he should leave. They go off to guard other volcanoes or something.

Tigranes

Arcane
The immediate problem with lack of sales is they will pull the plug after the 3rd DLC. If it sold as well as the first one, there's a good chance they would go on to make 5 or 6.

Eventually it makes profit and they'll go on to make another sequel. But Deadfire will never be what it could have been. And it doesn't need much right now to be considered at least a modern classic. Fleshed out ship and sea content, couple of good medium-size dungeons and harder combat is all it takes. But 3 DLCs won't get it there.

Won't it? If they can keep a decent team patching for 9-12 months on the difficulty, and DLCs to add dungeons and sea content, I would consider the final result a very, very good game, leaving aside the things that can't/won't be fixed (empower, lack of attrition, the narration, etc).

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, I agree. The map has so much space to be filled out. The question is whether they'll fill it with quality content.

Parabalus

Arcane
Yeah, I agree. The map has so much space to be filled out. The question is whether they'll fill it with quality content.

Considering the quality bump of TWM vs PoE1, I have high hopes for Dumpsterfire's DLCs. Rymagand + Archwizards sound like something they couldn't possibly make badly, the second one is a big mystery tho.

Prime Junta

tbh sailing is mostly boring in real irl too

23237.jpg

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Lol, i just read the following fake news from 2017:
Feargus: When we did our update for that, Josh put a whole video together. And the goal with it is – there's been these arguments going on our forums and also on the big page about romances. And so we're trying to be very clear that these are companion relationships and not companion romances. Maybe there could be a situation where there could be a romance but it's not just this generic system where you do enough things and you get a romance scene as a reward. But it's not meant to be romancing characters and turn into a sexual relationship with them. It's about these relationships that you have with them and the relationships that they have with each other that develops them as characters.

That's Feargus on GameBanshee. Never again, Feargus. Never again.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Beta bux patch updated, btw. Too lazy to copy/paste the changelog, but most important TLDR is:

- They finished restructuring all game encounters for added difficulty in Vet/PotD.
- They fixed (some reported) longer loading/longer launch load of game.

Plus bunch of smaller changes.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Just like 3.0 which is also a very very good game but is still garbage. Obshitian Coalition brofists this. You know who you are.

PoE1 really is a bit garbage-y, though, and I'm saying that as someone who managed to squeeze some enjoyment out of it. Once, but still.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I am kinda miffed that they nerfed Devotions into the ground... 20 acc to 10 acc is pretty serious. Now a shitty level 1 acc buff competes with it.

Question: what are the 3 best sources for acc buffs right now?

Everyone multi'd with Fighter, set Target Self: Inspiration: Perception (Not) = use Disciplined Barrage.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
The good Strongholds were made good because of CONTENT that involves the location, not because of systems, how fucking hard is that for them to understand.
They made Crossroad Keep in NWN2, which was really cool. So they know how to do it, but that probably involved a ton of resources or talent that they lack now. My guess is that Sawyer played Nantucket, liked it, and used this pirates theme as an excuse to introduce more historic themes in PoE2. It was bound to fail because Nantucket itself bombed. You can read their subpar steam reviews with your eyeballs. Text-adventure based gameplay requires a lot of art, see KoDP, and even then it will not be for everyone. It is not surprising then that many players simply abandoned the game because of this mechanic. The should never have aproved this ship thing. Rather, they should have invested in the perfectly good looking stronghold they already had. It was there, waiting to be fleshed out with multiple quests and upgrades, especially with so much demand for bulding games.

Last edited:

Sizzle

Arcane
Still trying to make "PoE2 totally ripped off Nantucket" a thing :lol:

Sure, Lurkey, I mean, have you ever even heard of another game that has boats in it besides Nantucket :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom