Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vampyr - vampire action-RPG from Life Is Strange devs

jungl

Augur
played it for a few hours knowing its sjw developers im assuming their will be a mind blowing twist in the end that the protaganist is not a vampire but a raving homosexual genius that no one mentions his condition. And all the vampires you fight and meet are eurofags with advanced form of aids that is causing this blood craving condition.

Cael

Arcane
"There's no cane behind my back, doggie! Promise!" That's what they all say when they want to get us to pay attention to them long enough for them to get a couple whacks in. I don't know what kind of people you've had to deal with in life, but I have certainly not been so fortunate and I'll thank you not to make assumptions about my place and encounters in life.
The only good SJW is a dead SJW. And when we are done, the SJW language will only be spoken in hell!

What? What it period appropriate, isn't it?

And in case the SJW shitheads don't get it: :troll:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The saving system combined with uncertainty of what your guy will say and do when you chose a dialogue is the worst thing in the game. Soo here is warning for the nurse in the white chapel district,she is the pillar there and is connected to early quest.
Don't charm her if you want her to live,you just lobotomising her and she becomes a zombie vampire!

Fuck that save system is shit!

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
toro,i would recommend going for the biggest damage two-hander. I found some two handed club and since then i kill enemies with 5-10 levels above me without any problems. Just pump up the endurance and health,all the other skills are useless.

You might not believe this but this is exactly what I did :D

a cut of domestic sheep prime

1918 had so many niggers talking about equal rights in britbong
historically accurate hipster beard/haircut combos
privilege ranting grannies were totally accurate
reeeee codex mentioned sjws again ;___;
thread doesn't disappoint in the assmad newbie department :M

Doktor Best

Arcane
You guys are getting triggered by words like intolerant and privileged? You poor snowflakes!

Yes, how dare a dog be wary of canes after being drubbed with one repeatedly by people who loved using canes to drub things.

If the worst you can say about this game's politics is that characters express period appropriate feelings using quasi modern vocabulary (although it's not like these are new words, they just carried far less of a negative connotation back in the day), it sure seems like you're going out of your way to take offense.

I'm not offended, I'm highly suspicious and did I mention I don't like being hit with canes?

Are you trying to tell us that you are as smart as a dog? Or are you larping your forum nickname?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
66ECA8DCDB94C5B2C809CFFB21B2B5AD7A8FB7A8

0F1C93C3EA57EE49C67A9C9BDBD4254BD8535843
This language is indeed suspicious, I guess it is the "current year" writers trying to guess how minorities spoke at that time so, of course, they speak on "current year" writer language because "current year" writers are lazy but if this is the worst SJWism there is , it is actually pretty tolerable. I've seen much worse offenders, does the game has the classic:

"This woman need no man, do you hear player? If you didn't pay attention, I will repeat SHE NEEDS NO MAN! She has half the size of a muscle giant and still can fight him because FEMINISM MAGIC!"
or
"Do, you heard this GAY character HAS A HUSBAND?! I will repeat three times on the same sentence, HE HAS A HUSBAND!

If only stay on tame awkward preaching from some secondary characters, it is tolerable, if it has the above examples, then it is fucking awful.

Even if the SJW bullshit pops-out quite often in the dialogues overall the SJW undertones are not so pregnant and the main story is not tainted with this bullshit.

Last edited:

Tancred

Learned
So this has race-mixing, gay couples and semi-historical activism as a pretense so they can insert modern SJW views and the protag is not allowed to express opinions to the contrary? Just checking.

Can we not have another 20 pages of people thinking its cool to talk shit about a game before they played it? Yes we get it your codexfag can we move on.

Agreed, let's have 20 pages of a recently joined Life is Tumblr retard arguing with the stupid uneducated bigots on RPGcodex instead. :shittydog:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

So this has race-mixing, gay couples and semi-historical activism as a pretense so they can insert modern SJW views and the protag is not allowed to express opinions to the contrary? Just checking.
As long as I can murder them all, I'm not sure I have a problem with that. :M

Cael

Arcane
As long as I can murder them all, I'm not sure I have a problem with that. :M
There better be 12.7mm explosive rounds involved in the murder or I am not buying. What is the point of killing SJWs if you can't see them explode in gloriously gory pixels?

PorkBarrellGuy

Are you trying to tell us that you are as smart as a dog? Or are you larping your forum nickname?

I'm using metaphor and allegory.

You should larp your forum avatar and drown in a jungle river. (Was Fidel the one who couldn't swim? Could have sworn he was.)

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
You guys are getting triggered by words like intolerant and privileged? You poor snowflakes!

If the worst you can say about this game's politics is that characters express period appropriate feelings using quasi modern vocabulary (although it's not like these are new words, they just carried far less of a negative connotation back in the day), it sure seems like you're going out of your way to take offense.

This game takes place within months of women getting the right to vote in the UK (propertied women over the age of 30). Legal equality of the sexes was kind of a hot topic. After the war ended, the British political establishment was terrified that organized labor would try to pull off a Soviet style revolution; anti-capitalist sentiment would not be unusual. The British class system is notorious even today, back then it still really meant something. Compared to a working class woman, a middle class man was indeed privileged. That's actually the perfect word for it because there were effectively two different sets of laws for men and women, to say nothing of the rich and the poor.

As for intolerance, that's a pretty polite way of describing the British empire from an Indian perspective. Within a year of when this game takes place, the British authorities killed hundreds of peaceful protestors in India--they only stopped shooting when they ran out of ammo--in the first Amritsar massacre. When parliament recalled the general who gave the order so they could rake him over the coals, he was lauded as a hero in the press with one paper raising 26,000 pounds by subscription (a lot in today's money). The guy ended up getting a state funeral with a military parade when he died the next year.

Even if you honestly think that's how the world should be run, you can't expect the people getting shot at to be too thrilled about the situation. But seriously, who even wants to roll back the clock to 1918?

Thank you for the historic lesson but the game is not historically accurate besides some visuals.

I'm not triggered by those words and I do agree that sexism and women emancipation are valid topics in the historical context ... but the approach in this game feels a little bit hamfisted. That's all.

Edit: But it's ok. There was no way in hell they will not pander to "Life is Strange" fans.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

Can we not have another 20 pages of people thinking its cool to talk shit about a game before they played it? Yes we get it your codexfag can we move on.

Agreed, let's have 20 pages of a recently joined Life is Tumblr retard arguing with the stupid uneducated bigots on RPGcodex instead. :shittydog:

Fair enough but I legit can't help but cringe after 100th time some idiot thinks its his sole mission in life to use words SJW when a game comes out. And then I have to either put half the forum on ignore or eventually inevitably have a cringe attack like I did now.

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't mind putting people on ignore, it's just the sheer number of people that would be there, plus some of them having useful shit to say when they arent having a stroke, combined with how poorly this forums ignore actually functions makes me not do it.

But tbh you kind of lose your high horse bragging rights when you participate in this shitshow yourself and become part of 20 page problem.

Also not responding to them creates a public perception of agreement. You don't have to do it but someone has to do the dirty work.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
Played it for 5 hours today. Really liked it. Have been waiting forever for a game to innovate on social mechanics & do something new in the landscape. Vampyr tries a lot of new stuff and I really like what it does on that end.
Combat isn't as awful as I initially thought it would be. I'm liking the game so far. I just hope the story doesn't take a turn to "eliminate the plague & save the world!!!" shit.

Consul

Arbiter
The SJW bullshit is creeping again and again but not enough to go into full retard mode. To be honest it looks like the work of some creatively bankrupted writers: there are issues in the quest design area when 5 out of 10 stories have some SJW bullshit in the background. Not offensive or in your face but they are there. This one major complain but survivable.

So, don't be surprised if you encounter SJW lectures in disguise like this:
66ECA8DCDB94C5B2C809CFFB21B2B5AD7A8FB7A8

0F1C93C3EA57EE49C67A9C9BDBD4254BD8535843

After all the game is done by "Life is Strange" developers.

When a game is not historically accurate and everyone are equal regardless skin color, sexual orientation, etc.
Codex reaction: HURR, DUURR, SJWWWWWW

When a game is pretty much historically accurate in terms of world building and politics and some NPC are complaying how badly they are treated in society, etc.
Codex reaction: HURR, DURRR, SJWWWW, BLHRHRHR

Except the way they react to their circumstances is akin to how a "liberal" person from the XXI century would. Nobody during this period used these word in such a manner. Tolerance back then wasn't equated with something automatically good and even minorities instinctively recognised the existence of group dynamics, competition and boundries . People viewed the world in a more tribal way (and to a big extent they still do, except for Whites).

Those two instances mimic the language of a modern leftist and even if the portrayed individuals shared similiar grieviences they would respond in a fashion that would reflect the times they were born in.

Let's ask ourselves, why are those two words (tolerance and privilege) used? Because in the present day, through cultural conditioning, the concepts hidden behind these word rose in importance and today have an impact on the majority of people (in the West) when used in a conversation and carry with them a certain level of retorical power. That wouldn't be the case in the setting of this game. These words weren't remotely quite as effective and thus wouldn't be used like that. This is simply taking the modern mindset and implanting it in distant (culturally and morally) historical eras.

Cael

Arcane
Except the way they react to their circumstances is akin to how a "liberal" person from the XXI century would. Nobody during this period used these word in such a manner. Tolerance back then wasn't equated with something automatically good and even minorities instinctively recognised the existence of group dynamics, competition and boundries . People viewed the world in a more tribal way (and to a big extent they still do, except for Whites).

Those two instances mimic the language of a modern leftist and even if the portrayed individuals shared similiar grieviences they would respond in a fashion that would reflect the times they were born in.

Let's ask ourselves, why are those two words (tolerance and privilege) used? Because in the present day, through cultural conditioning, the concepts hidden behind these word rose in importance and today have an impact on the majority of people (in the West) when used in a conversation and carry with them a certain level of retorical power. That wouldn't be the case in the setting of this game. These words weren't remotely quite as effective and thus wouldn't be used like that. This is simply taking the modern mindset and implanting it in distant (culturally and morally) historical eras.
I read a review of Topaz by Leon Uris where a modern day SJW slammed it for being misogynistic and relegating women to merely being pourers of the men's brandy, coveniently ignoring:

1. It was set during the Cuban Missile Crisis, and
2. The woman in question was pouring brandy while listening in on the men's conversation and learning about the bigger world. It became the basis for her turning into a spy ring leader. She later commited suicide in order to avoid torture and worse when she got arrested.

The problem with SJWs is pretty evident: They have no concept of anything other than what they want and what they think. Anything else, regardless of historical context (or any context) or the truth inherent in any other view, is automatically Evil and abhorent. God help us all when the fucktards get it into their head that the Sun should, in all fairness, rise in the west ocassionally.

PrettyDeadman

Characters expressing opinions on women's rights or class privilege in the times when millions of people where involved in women suffrage movemen or labour movement / communist activities must be SJW injecting their views into videogames...

Why so many alt-righters are such imbeciles? Does youtube educayshun turns a normal person into a morron, or do they watch popular alt-right youtubers because they are already braindead?

Last edited by a moderator:

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Characters expressing opinions on women's rights or class privilege in the times when millions of people where involved in women suffrage movemen or labour movement / communist activities must be SJW injecting their views into videogames...

Why so many alt-righters are such imbeciles? Does youtube educayshun turns a normal person into a morron, or do they watch popular alt-right youtubers because they are already braindead?

Can the main character tell them to shut the fuck up and shove their petty problems up their ass? Because if he can, then I wouldn't complain, but if the MC is forced to listen to their drivel and agree with them without my consent, then boy we have a problem and that's propaganda and preaching at it's best. Why should I agree with them, maybe I don't like black folks, maybe I don't like women rights, why make a roleplaying game if you don't give options for the people to go both ways?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Can the main character tell them to shut the fuck up and shove their petty problems up their ass? Because if he can, then I wouldn't complain, but if the MC is forced to listen to their drivel and agree with them without my consent, then boy we have a problem and that's propaganda and preaching at it's best. Why should I agree with them, maybe I don't like black folks, maybe I don't like women rights, why make a roleplaying game if you don't give options for the people to go both ways?

This isn’t a problem because of preachiness, it’s a problem because your character has no agency and no room to express himself. What you’re describing is really a cutscene with a continue button. That’s a shit way to design an RPG, regardless of what a given NPC is talking about. There should always be a fuck off option at every branch of every dialogue tree.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Except the way they react to their circumstances is akin to how a "liberal" person from the XXI century would. Nobody during this period used these word in such a manner.
So your big problem isn't the existence of these conversations or perspectives, it's that the exact language used is anachronistic?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Pirated it, played it for a few hours... It plays similar to technomancer and the rest of those low quality action rpgs. Small levels, lots of corridors, low number of npcs to interact, shit combat, shit dialogue choices.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom