Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex's Top 50 vs. Age of Incline Poll

Which are the best cRPGs of all time? (select up to 25)

• Total voters

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
Codex is a Fallout/PST/Deus Ex fan club. That is all you need to know. The only game that will go beyond the three is the one that integrates elements from all the three: The RPG ness of Fallout, the storytelling fo PST and the level design and atmosphere of Deus Ex.
So why isn't West of Loathing on the list?

Trashos

Arcane
If AoD surpasses Arcanum, Vault Dweller will flee to the mountains and live the rest of his life as a hermit, pondering on the meaning of inspiration.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Here is the result after one day (the Age of Incline titles are in bold):

1. Fallout (66)
  2. Planescape: Torment (58)
  3. Arcanum (52)
  4. Fallout 2 (47)
  5. Age of Decadence (46)
  6. Baldur's Gate II (44)
  7. Deus Ex (42)
  8. Gothic 2 (42)
  9. Vampire: The Mascarade (37)
  10. Fallout: New Vegas (29)
  11. Gothic (27)
  12. Jagged Alliance 2 (27)
  13. Baldur's Gate (26)
  14. Betrayal at Krondor (25)
  15. Icewind Dale (25)
  16. Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer (24)
  17. The Temple of Elemental Evil (24)
  18. System Shock 2 (23)
  19. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (23)
  20. Underrail (23)
  21. Darklands (21)
  22. The Witcher III (21)
  23. Dark Sun (20)
  24. Wizardry 8 (20)
  25. Dark Souls (19)
  26. Might & Magic VI (19)
  27. The Witcher (19)
  28. Ultima Underworld (19)
  29. Shadowrun: Dragonfall (18)
  30. Arx Fatalis (17)
  31. Pool of Radiance (17)
  32. King of Dragon Pass (16)
  33. Might & Magic: World of Xeen (15)
  34. Wizardry VII (15)
  35. Wizardry VI (14)
  36. Ultima IV (12)
  37. ADOM (11)
  38. Divinity: Original Sin (11)
  39. Icewind Dale II (11)
  40. Might & Magic VII (11)
  41. Realms of Arkania II: Star Trail (11)
  42. System Shock (11)
  43. Ultima V (11)
  44. Geneforge (10)
  45. Might & Magic III (10)
  46. Ultima VII (10)
  47. Alpha Protocol (9)
  48. Dark Heart of Uukrul (9)
  49. Divinity: Original Sin 2 (9)
  50. Knights of the Chalice (9)
  51. Mount & Blade (9)
  52. Pools of Darkness (9)
  53. Wasteland (9)
  54. Anachronox (8)
  55. Battle Brothers (8)
  56. Dragon Age: Origins (8)
  57. Dragon's Dogma (8)
  58. Dungeon Master (8)
  59. FTL (8)
  60. Grimoire (8)
  61. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (8)
  62. The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall (8)
  63. The Witcher II (8)
  64. Divine Divinity (7)
  65. ELEX (7)
  66. Lords of Xulima (7)
  67. Pillars of Eternity (7)
  68. Star Control II (7)
  69. Wizardry I (7)
  70. Wizards & Warriors (7)
  71. Albion (6)
  72. Expeditions: Conquistador (6)
  73. Legend of Grimrock II (6)
  74. NEO Scavenger (6)
  75. Nier: Automata (6)
  76. Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire (6)
  77. Quest for Glory IV (6)
  78. Risen (6)
  79. Ultima Underworld II (6)
  80. Wasteland 2 (6)
  81. Blackguards (5)
  82. Dark Souls III (5)
  83. Expeditions: Viking (5)
  84. Fallout 1.5: Resurrection (5)
  85. Neverwinter Nights 2 (5)
  86. Dark Souls II (4)
  87. Invisible, Inc. (4)
  88. Might & Magic X: Legacy (4)
  89. Deus Ex: Human Revolution (3)
  90. Drakensang (3)
  91. Lands of Lore (3)
  92. Mass Effect (3)
  93. Shadowrun Returns (3)
  94. Shadowrun: Hong Kong (3)
  95. Wizardry IV (3)
  96. Dungeon Rats (2)
  97. Heroine's Quest (2)
  98. Valkyria Chronicles (2)
  99. Legend of Grimrock (1)

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Not voting as I haven't played 99% of the new incline yet, but interesting lists to read here. Glad to see Shadowrun: Dragonfall get such love as that is one I DID play and really enjoyed. :salute:

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
It just shows that the newcomers will shake it up on the master poll.

I really wanted to give my vote to Demon's Souls, Kotor 2 and some other titles.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Well, since 2012 there are 7 newcomers in the Top 50. Which is not too bad I guess.

gestalt11

Arbiter
There are a number of things missing that I would have voted for, but I don't really care.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Morrowind is in the Codex top 10. Is there any reason why I should take the codex top 50 seriously?

That's also not going into the other Crap on the list like Alpha protocol or the Kotor games or BG2 being above Arcanum. Quite frankly I consider the codex top 50 to be a few steps above a gamespot list, maybe a decade ago a top ten could of been taken more serious.

edit- Looking again in 2014 Dragon age origins was good enough to be considered top 50, yeah it's safe to say this place by 2014 has declined to near gamespot levels.

Trashos

Arcane
edit- Looking again in 2014 Dragon age origins was good enough to be considered top 50, yeah it's safe to say this place by 2014 has declined to near gamespot levels.

DAO is about where it belongs. Good enough to be in the Top50, but not awesome enough to be higher than its position.

One is bound to have disagreements with a list (and I haven't played Morrowind), eg for the life of me I don't get what people see in IWD. But generally the Codex produces the only worthy RPG lists that I 've seen and the one here is not bad either. Btw, the top 50/70 list saved my life when I was getting into RPGs, because everyone else was recommending Skyrims and Mass Effects.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I'm not sure I can take seriously a list that does not have Chaos Strikes Back, Disciples of Steel and Ultima Underworld in the top 10.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted

DAO is about where it belongs. Good enough to be in the Top50, but not awesome enough to be higher than its position.

One is bound to have disagreements with a list (and I haven't played Morrowind), eg for the life of me I don't get what people see in IWD. But generally the Codex produces the only worthy RPG lists that I 've seen and the one here is not bad either. Btw, the top 50/70 list saved my life when I was getting into RPGs, because everyone else was recommending Skyrims and Mass Effects.

Well I consider DAO a game only degenerates and imbeciles could enjoy. Among other games on the list but that one stands out as one of the worst on there.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Codex is a Fallout/PST/Deus Ex fan club. That is all you need to know. The only game that will go beyond the three is the one that integrates elements from all the three: The RPG ness of Fallout, the storytelling fo PST and the level design and atmosphere of Deus Ex.

You say this like it's a problem.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
The issue with these lists is that they are usually a popularity contest. Quite literally: the games on top will have been the most played. I think it would have been MUCH more interesting to have this same poll, infinite options allowed, asking "which one of these have you played?".

Take my case, for instance:
  • Arcanum
  • Baldur's Gate
  • Deus Ex
  • Fallout
  • Fallout 2
  • Fallout: New Vegas
  • Gothic
  • Icewind Dale
  • Planescape: Torment
  • The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
  • The Witcher
  • Wasteland 2
That's barely over 10% of the polled options. What kind of results can you get from this, when you are asking me to select up to 25 games when I've only played 12? (I'm aware I don't need to pick 25, I'm stating I would be unable to if I wanted to) Look no further than the "Day 1 results": 11 of the games I've played are distributed in the first 27 spots. I understand that it is more common for people to play games "considered great", so each time Fallout, PS:T and other games get more and more votes.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
What kind of results can you get from this, when you are asking me to select up to 25 games when I've only played 12? (I'm aware I don't need to pick 25, I'm stating I would be unable to if I wanted to) Look no further than the "Day 1 results": 11 of the games I've played are distributed in the first 27 spots. I understand that it is more common for people to play games "considered great", so each time Fallout, PS:T and other games get more and more votes.

Yes, all such poll will be influenced by how many games you've played, with older games less played, Fallout from 1997 being the great divide.
You can never get a "true" list. Even if by some fluke every codexer agreed to play all the old classics before voting, it still wouldn't be objective, 'cause if you started playing with Fallout, you may have a very hard time adjusting to the UI of older games, while a relic of the past like me had no problems whatsover with the UI when playing Wiz 1 for the first time a few years ago.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
What kind of results can you get from this, when you are asking me to select up to 25 games when I've only played 12? (I'm aware I don't need to pick 25, I'm stating I would be unable to if I wanted to) Look no further than the "Day 1 results": 11 of the games I've played are distributed in the first 27 spots. I understand that it is more common for people to play games "considered great", so each time Fallout, PS:T and other games get more and more votes.

Yes, all such poll will be influenced by how many games you've played, with older games less played, Fallout from 1997 being the great divide.
You can never get a "true" list. Even if by some fluke every codexer agreed to play all the old classics before voting, it still wouldn't be objective, 'cause if you started playing with Fallout, you may have a very hard time adjusting to the UI of older games, while a relic of the past like me had no problems whatsover with the UI when playing Wiz 1 for the first time a few years ago.

It gets even worse then that considering I think a substantial number of newer codex members only started playing games in the late 2000's or early 2010's.

I was born in the late 80's and as a result I grew up with the Diablo 1/Fallout/ BG1 ect eta of games(just the first games from 1996-7-8 that popped into my head) but I still played and enjoyed a few older early 90's and late 80's games (Dark sun, Krondor, M&m 4-5, ultima 6-7 ect). I do think it's always hard for people to play older games from before they started gaming though with rare exceptions.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
When I post and insult dragon age and people who enjoy it I really don't try to be edgy, but realistically as someone who grew up playing Fallout, Arcanum, PST, Betrayal at krondor to make a few games with good stories/dialogue among others

When I played DA:O I only remember playing a bit after this but before this everything was cringe aswell. From the dialogue itself to what she's wearing to everything about the game, I literally can't see how anyone who isn't a degenerate or an imbecile could enjoy shit like this. I'm not even gonna get into the super retarded ultra gritty elf intro lol.

Trashos

Arcane
In other news, 1 out of 4 Codexers don't consider Fallout1 to be one of the 25 greatest cRPGs of all time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom