Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I'd also add the bosses are done rather well and matching the ambient of their surrounding. The giant worm in the Lost City, both dragons (although I somehow ended up not fighting either of them), the Kraken was totally "Holy Shit" moment, fapmyr boss on top of the mountain etc.

Yeah, Kraken was genuinely great.

At that point I was so fucking fed up with gods and their endless bickering and how inept they seem. So I'm like, yeah I disobeyed you, you damn faggot, what are you gonna do? Huh? What are you gonna do? What are you...OH SHIT.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I'd also add the bosses are done rather well and matching the ambient of their surrounding. The giant worm in the Lost City, both dragons (although I somehow ended up not fighting either of them), the Kraken was totally "Holy Shit" moment, fapmyr boss on top of the mountain etc.

Yeah, Kraken was genuinely great.

At that point I was so fucking fed up with gods and their endless bickering and how inept they seem. So I'm like, yeah I disobeyed you, you damn faggot, what are you gonna do? Huh? What are you gonna do? What are you...OH SHIT.

Again, I must agree. Being able to roleplay unwashed infidel and troll the gods is pretty cool.

Looking forward to defile Berath's backdoor beauty at endgame a la Tapeworm from Irreversible.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I like the proficiency modals TBH, much better than in Bg2-like having to preplan/metagame fighters since they can only use weapons with 5 pips.

Not sure I agree there.

I usually equip the Warhammer +1; +4 vs giants on my Kensai or other best melee character who does not have any Warhammer proficiency. I found that's one of the better ways to deal with Golems who can mostly only be killed with magical crushing damage. The Fighter THAC0, AC and HP is still often better than a cNPC tanking it.

Fairfax

Arcane
And Lead Narrative Designer, which also matters. :M
I haven't seen anything of Josh's in the actual execution of the writing, other than Pallegina's fedora tipping. Guess he could be blamed for the plot, but Avellone noted last month that the Cain/Boyarsky title follows a similar structure http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...rarchies-and-more.121588/page-93#post-5596666
He's responsible for all the major narrative design decisions. Pallegina is terrible, but that's a minor issue. The plot, companions, and companion quests were the main blunders. And MCA didn't say the Cain/Boyarsky project had the same structure, only that the partners thought it had the same issues. Even if it does have the same structure and problems, I don't see how that makes PoE2's shortcomings any better.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The plot, companions, and companion quests were the main blunders.
I wouldn't say there's anything wrong with the plot, just that it doesn't do anything unusual (which Feargus likes). The companion concepts are sound, it's the individual writers who messed up the execution of the new crew. Sure, he gets the blame for the lackluster companion quests, but he'd be getting the blame anyway as project director.

Sizzle

Arcane
The plot, companions, and companion quests were the main blunders.
I wouldn't say there's anything wrong with the plot, just that it doesn't do anything unusual (which Feargus likes).

There's a lot that's wrong with the (main) plot. In theory, it has a stronger hook than the first one - a god has your soul, you have to follow him to get it back. But it doesn't just "not do anything unusual" - it does almost nothing at all.

You don't have to have a story that's full of twists and turns in order for it to be memorable, but at least have something interesting happen in it. The (biggest) problem with the Eothas portion of PoE2 is that you lack any player agency up until the very end (and you resolve the entire thing in a very hamfisted and silly way), and Eothas himself does nothing particularly unexpected - the entire MQ progresses in a completely predictable way, from beginning to end.

Prime Junta

For shits and giggles I tried running P2 on a Mac.

Performance is terrible. I'm pretty tolerant of framerate drops, stutters, and what have you but it made me nauseous.

It's not the hardware as booting into Windows on the same machine and running it from that side it's pretty good.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
You know what would be really cool? If we could disassemble weapons and armour for enchanting ingredients. Adra Ban is another name for crack whore.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Okay, that Ukaizo guardian battle was awesome. And the little BG2 throwback convo with the party.
Although the gravity of this conversation is more akin to "woah dudes, we've managed to go get the snacks and come back without getting arrested, while completely twisted on acid".

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
shieeeeeet

these fapmyrs

:shredder:

I just met two of them in some random ruins, suppress affliction worked well but in anticiption to more pamfyrs I 'm thinking : would buffing the wilkl defense with a priest's prayer for the spirit be enough ?

Oh, and on a totally different matter, do you guys use explosive ? Personally, I see already too many occasiosn for friendly fire with wizards AoE spells and Serafen's wild magic, so I haven't put one skill point in explosive yet.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom