Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

vazha

Arcane
So I played a bit and... It seems to be the kind of game where exploiting the systems is much more fun than the actual story / gameplay. Not to say that its a bad game - far from it and I can clearly see significant work and effort went into making this, but then there are things this game doesn't handle well, more than that - it goes full retard and just completely fucks it all up. For example, what's with the omniscient guards & citizens? Couldn't they think of another, better mechanic to deter you from assassinating & thieving? Reputation system is completely random, I just got -70 in a town I went past through, not talking to anyone. And the biggest gripe of all - whats with two handed weapons? don't tell me there were no two handed swords / axes at that time? And what's with unstorable polearms?
p.s. And the mainchar has the most insufferably gopnik / slavs in tracksuit face ever. Whoever came up with that needs his Zeman barometer checked.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So the monastery quest
cant you confront pious without hin poisoning you? I triedto do the questas it is intender, and at the beginning it was actually fun, until i get the fact tjat antonius is themost likely t be pious, and when you confront him, there isnt actually a way to accuse him of being the criminal? Bodok has this option and either i missed it big time or the quest is just stupid. Because the premise was awesome. The early stage was awesome, but in the end you have to intentionally make a mistake to finish the quest the"right" way.

Wtf is this

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
So I played a bit and... It seems to be the kind of game where exploiting the systems is much more fun than the actual story / gameplay. Not to say that its a bad game - far from it and I can clearly see significant work and effort went into making this, but when there are things this game doesn't handle well, it goes full retard and just completely fucks it all up. Like, what's with the omniscient guards & citizens? Couldn't they think of another, better mechanic to deter you from assassinating & thieving? Reputation system is completely random, I just got -70 in a town I went past through, not talking to anyone. And the biggest gripe of all - whats with two handed weapons? don't tell me there were no two handed swords / axes at that time? And what's with unstorable polearms?
p.s. And the mainchar has the most insufferably gopnik / slavs in tracksuit face ever. Whoever came up with that needs his Zeman barometer checked.
polearm was cut content.

Thsi game actually has alot of cut content that wasnt cut properly and just left hanging, aside from polearm, thereis this quest with a charlatan in the end he said "see you in ledetchko" but he appears to be nowhere there.

People just asdune it was meant to be a questline but was cut off early

vazha

Arcane
Why release it then in a half-baked state? :negative: So much potential & premise, such a poor execution. Even Brian Blessed can't save it.

Wunderbar

Arcane
p.s. And the mainchar has the most insufferably gopnik / slavs in tracksuit face ever.
he's british.

tom-full-525x350.jpg

Beowulf

Arcane
So the monastery quest
cant you confront pious without hin poisoning you? I triedto do the questas it is intender, and at the beginning it was actually fun, until i get the fact tjat antonius is themost likely t be pious, and when you confront him, there isnt actually a way to accuse him of being the criminal? Bodok has this option and either i missed it big time or the quest is just stupid. Because the premise was awesome. The early stage was awesome, but in the end you have to intentionally make a mistake to finish the quest the"right" way.

Wtf is this

If you want t finish it the "right" way, you have to allow him to poison you.
If you don't care about it, you can just kill him and leave (or anyone for that matter, as you can only get the die (the item needed to get to the bad guys camp), when you kill him after the reveal IIRC).

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
So the monastery quest

Wtf is this

If you want t finish it the "right" way, you have to allow him to poison you.
If you don't care about it, you can just kill him and leave (or anyone for that matter, as you can only get the die (the item needed to get to the bad guys camp), when you kill him after the reveal IIRC).
that was fuckin dumb. In many levels.
first, you can basically finish the quest by mistakingly tryinh to get help from the most friendly, first guy ypu ever met in that location.

Second, made all those cool detective work become useless. You can confront him, but not accuse him. It is like sherlock holmes explaining to the scene how the culprit do the crime, but did not point his finger and deliver the final blow.

Stupid stupid decision thay should be able to be fixed simply ny just adding few lines of dialogue.

Which is really sad because the concept itself is almost masterful, and with some tweaking it can go down as one of the best quest ever made and will be the talk to budding young developers and conferences for years to come like beyond the beef from FNV.

I dunno if the designer just did not have enough time to flesh it out or he is just a a semi competent savant

vazha

Arcane
ALSO - No crossbows. No fucking crossbows, Carl!
Aaaand mounted combat didnt get any better. Clunky as hell. Guess I ll shelve this and wait for Bannerlord (I know, right?) for my medieval gameplay itch. There's just too many wrongs with this game.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
I dunno if the designer just did not have enough time to flesh it out or he is just a a semi competent savant
If I recall correctly the design of the whole monastery, made by one guy, started in November 2015 and implementation (in prototype stage) started in late February 2016. One of the core troubles with the whole monastery was that it was a microcosm and as such required a huge set of new systems or unique spins on the existing ones and as a result it started working at least semi-properly almost year and a half later which coincides with design lock-down (or rather writing lock-down - for voice-over production reasons).

Paul_cz

Arcane
If I recall correctly the design of the whole monastery, made by one guy, started in November 2015 and implementation (in prototype stage) started in late February 2016. One of the core troubles with the whole monastery was that it was a microcosm and as such required a huge set of new systems or unique spins on the existing ones and as a result it started working at least semi-properly almost year and a half later which coincides with design lock-down (or rather writing lock-down - for voice-over production reasons).

That quest was a good idea in theory, but sadly in practice whenever I see people posting about it, it is always

That monastery quest was the worst, I gave it time, but was so tedious and frustrating. I ended up just googling the shortest way to complete it. Job done. Failed a load of missions, but it was worth it :p

I took ages (with hindsight, quite enjoyed how detailed it was), and still failed a bunch of missions.
I've mentioned this gripe before, but I'll do so again here as it's relevant to the monastery - kill your target, silently, with no one around, and yet suddenly guards appear within seconds. So guards, who aren't even in the monastery, can suddenly teleport to the location just because the game knows you've killed someone, but no one else does.

Are these things in any way fixable?

Sinatar

Arbiter
I got so sick of the monastery that I broke out, grabbed my equipment and came back and killed every single fucker in the building.

Felt so good. Fuck that place.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
What confused me about the monastery was this:

The monastery quest isn't game content, it's anti-content. Solving it doesn't get you anything. If you find Pious and kill him or bring him in, you don't get the die you need to get into Vranik. Pious does tell you Vranik is the base but it's not hard to figure out on your own; I stumbled on Vranik in the first few hours of free roaming. When you show up without the die the bandits either shake you down for cash or attack you. Which they do anyway even if you skip the entire monastery quest. Making the whole quest pointless.

I do like that the game lets you fail story quests and still complete it, but without any actual consequences or meaningful rewards it doesn't make much difference. If you're going to make a quest like that optional, the reward for finishing it should be awesome. Unfortunately the only reward for finishing the monastery is the satisfaction of doing so and learning that 1400s monastery life was really goddamned boring.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
The game was balls of fun and mostly playable at 1.3 patch series. How are people still whining that it's half-baked couple of major patches later.

Quillon

Arcane
Does it still get bugged if we wipe out pribyslavitz before siege?

edit: it didn't.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom