Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Top Six Reasons Fallout 3 Is Better Than Fallout New Vegas

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's less of a style and more of a crutch. It only seems especially good in Nuka World because it's less horribly off-putting.

I'm just saying a ton of people love their world design, whether you think those people suffer from autism or not. Obsidian creating a more grounded and lived in world was, to those people, "disappointing."

Black Angel

Arcane
Not saying it isn't, it was just an additional layer of bullshit to me which wasn't really needed and didn't really add much.
There were different ammo types in Fallout 1 and 2 already. Granted, it was only hollow point and armor piercing, New Vegas's step was actually in the right direction because, contrary to your impression that it's another layer of bullshit, I'd say it adds more layer of tactical depth, allowing players to utilize different ammos of different damage modifier/DT modifier etc etc.

However, I think the game might actually worked better in Fallout 1 and 2's engine, especially since I've also experienced how Underrail tackled different types of ammos, and it rocks.

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard
Fallout New Vegas objectively is subhuman trash tier as far as RPG goes. Its god awful on a technical standpoint, not even counting the bugs. Dull and empty overworld worst than Skyrim's. Awful load of unengaging fedex/fetch quests that the PC or the player doesnt give 2 shits about. Bare bone written assets and dialogues. Stupid skill checks all over the place to give the illusion of having useful skills. One of the worst main quest ever made. Some stupid and boring factions like one lead by a degenerate retard wearing a wolf head F2 style.

New Vegas was Bethesda's response to the grumpy haters, ''Oh so you didnt like Fallout 3 because it was bad and made by us? Here, have an even worse Fallout game that isnt made by us so you can happily ride the bandwagon with the others, earning us money while pretending that you boycott us''

Sykar

Arcane
Fallout New Vegas objectively is subhuman trash tier as far as RPG goes. Its god awful on a technical standpoint, not even counting the bugs. Dull and empty overworld worst than Skyrim's. Awful load of unengaging fedex/fetch quests that the PC or the player doesnt give 2 shits about. Bare bone written assets and dialogues. Stupid skill checks all over the place to give the illusion of having useful skills. One of the worst main quest ever made. Some stupid and boring factions like one lead by a degenerate retard wearing a wolf head F2 style.

New Vegas was Bethesda's response to the grumpy haters, ''Oh so you didnt like Fallout 3 because it was bad and made by us? Here, have an even worse Fallout game that isnt made by us so you can happily ride the bandwagon with the others, earning us money while pretending that you boycott us''

1,645 retardred ratings received, around 5 times of that of your post count. Impressive in a manner. :smug:

Okagron

Prophet
Some stupid and boring factions like one lead by a degenerate retard wearing a wolf head F2 style.
This retard thinks Vulpes Inculta is the leader of Caesar's Legion, just more proof this moron barely played New Vegas.

All of your criticisms to any game become imediately invalid when you think Fallout 3 is a good RPG.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I played through both FO3 and FNV. They're both 0/10 games. Shit tier of the shittiest tier. I've no idea what you're memeing about here, FNV had nothing of the original Fallout games, not a single thing.

Assuming you have the capacity to like a FPS game (it was hard for me at the beginning), what are your grievances?

I actually like FPS games a lot. My grievances are many:
- If it had to be an FPS game, then look at Far Cry games where gunplay is polished to such a degree that you get endorphins just by firing. I'm not a fan of mixing RPG skills with the inability to aim, despite what VD says about it. If you want to mix RPG in, add something on top, but don't break the first rules of the FPS genre, where my aim is as good as I fucking aim. I had this problem with VTMB too, and many critics at the time, but that was literally the only problem with VTMB. Not so in FNV.
- For serious AI, look at games like Fear for tactical cooperation or at MGS5 for strategic cooperation between NPCs. In FNV they were so stupid, it was immersion breaking.
- Music. They changed the genre of the music and wrote the new one. It became melancholic depression quest music. In other places they used music from Fallout 2? Which was completely misplaced.
- Visual style, everything in yellow, art direction was lacking.
- The UI was horrible. Someone said something about ammo in this thread. I couldn't tell one ammo from another. The icons couldn't be told apart. I usually don't like people complaining about the UI, but it was so bad here, that it was detrimental to gameplay. Rarely have I seen smth like it.
- The writing was bad, unmemorable, not in the least related to what Fallout 1-2 had. I guess I'm not such an expert in writing as to pinpoint and deconstruct the problems, but I can tell when something is bland and bad.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
They mentioned just the top 6 reasons out of what is presumably a huge list with dozens of damning reasons :lol:

I mean I'm not a huge fan of NV, mainly because of the visual and technical shitfest of bethengine, but calling it worse than FO3 is mind-boggling. It looks EXACTLY like a troll-bait thread that would be here in the codex, but it's not ... :o

I mean sure NV had the same shitty engine, the same boring combat, the same uninspiring world building, but it had vastly better quest structure, writing, use of rpg mechanics and it didn't make you feel like a retard for playing it. If at some point you didn't feel like a retard when playing FO3, then you probably are a retard.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
- If it had to be an FPS game, then look at Far Cry games where gunplay is polished to such a degree that you get endorphins just by firing. I'm not a fan of mixing RPG skills with the inability to aim, despite what VD says about it. If you want to mix RPG in, add something on top, but don't break the first rules of the FPS genre, where my aim is as good as I fucking aim. I had this problem with VTMB too, and many critics at the time, but that was literally the only problem with VTMB. Not so in FNV.

Oh god this endless complaint again. Why is it so hard to understand stat-based aiming? Same thing in Alpha Protocol and Deus Ex, critics and idiots freak the fuck out because they can't handle the concept. Far Cry is an FPS with RPG elements, not an RPG with FPS elements, like New Vegas. That's why they're different. Also it takes barely any leveling at all in New Vegas before you're head-shotting like a master, so it just comes off as whining. At least with Deus Ex it took half the game probably to get good crosshairs.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Why is it so hard to understand stat-based aiming?
Why is it so hard to understand skill based aiming?

You give no coherent arguments, your post is an empty shell of one.

Also, pls don't compare FNV to Deus Ex or VTMB. They're classics despite shitty gunplay, not because of it.

And it's just one point from many. I could live with it if something else was good. And gunplay doesn't just come down to aiming. Gun animations, particles, sounds, hands animations, gun variety, feedback - it's all part of it. And it's just shit across the board in FNV, not so in Deus Ex or VTMB for that matter.

And if we're talking RPG mechanics, I could do some serious damage in Fallout just with a deagle and some luck, I felt like a badass when I got it. I couldn't do shit with 95% guns in FNV. AND they all looked like from some shitty generic sci-fi. Where was the deagle again?

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Why is it so hard to understand skill based aiming?

You give no coherent arguments, your post is an empty shell of one.

Your post is "I demand these RPG games control like FPS games!" I can't eyeroll any harder when people spout that shit, sorry. If you remove the stat dependencies then you lose a chunk of the RPG from the games. We're on RPG Codex, are we not?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I didn't demand shit from you, retarded fanboy.

"We're on the CODEX, us RPG GAMERS, RIGHT?
RPG GAMERS RISE and pls rate FNV high on metacritic thanks."

kintake

Savant
If at some point you didn't feel like a retard when playing FO3, then you probably are a retard.
They looked at Fallout, tried to figure out what it was, and failed miserably in creating a believable world. They did succeed in making a game comprised of a lot of elements that makes up fallout, which infuriates me even more. Systematic and soulless game-design, pisses me off that the game isn't even pretty to look at. It's not even art for the lack of substance, it's just pure drivel. I sort of agree with you, but I guess if you go into Fallout 3 expecting the width and depth of Super Mario for NES instead of an actual Fallout game, you're in for a treat. It's got some fun stuff to do, even more so with mods. Which is Bethesda's design by heart these days. Morpheus, you there? I want the blue pill my nigga.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Fallout 3 and Fallout NV both got some new files in the Steam database last month. Only the F3 one seems to be accompanied by a ~6 GB entry though.

Fallout 3 remaster was supposedly listed on some Nintendo Switch list as well, according to random "leakers." I'm sure on PC it would just equate to a high-res texture pack.

PorkBarrellGuy

Fallout 3 and Fallout NV both got some new files in the Steam database last month. Only the F3 one seems to be accompanied by a ~6 GB entry though.

Fallout 3 remaster was supposedly listed on some Nintendo Switch list as well, according to random "leakers." I'm sure on PC it would just equate to a high-res texture pack.
And everything will still be pea-soup green, of course. But it'll be really sharp pea-soup.

2house2fly

Magister
4cd497fad4.png
I hate to defend Fallout 3 but this is dumb. Both factions don't just want to turn on the purifier. Well the Brotherhood does, but the Enclave doesn't need pure water, they need hearts and minds. They want the purifier so they can be seen as the Saviors Of The Wasteland; it's worthless to them if someone else turns it on

AND they all looked like from some shitty generic sci-fi. Where was the deagle again?
u fuckin wot m8

https://fallout.gamepedia.com/Fallout:_New_Vegas_weapons

PorkBarrellGuy

I hate to defend Fallout 3 but this is dumb. Both factions don't just want to turn on the purifier. Well the Brotherhood does, but the Enclave doesn't need pure water, they need hearts and minds. They want the purifier so they can be seen as the Saviors Of The Wasteland; it's worthless to them if someone else turns it on

Not like they couldn't take credit for turning it on regardless, as long as the PC and any followers he has are dealt with appropriately.

2house2fly

Magister
Yeah, at the end of the game they control the purifier, so if they fight off the Brotherhood it would look to any outsiders that the Brotherhood was trying to stop everyone getting clean water. Though really, the Lone Wanderer is the one who has the code, so when you confronted Colonel Autumn he should have tried to get you to ally with them and fight off the Brotherhood

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Instead Robo-Prez tries to get you to ally with them to poison it and kill all the dirty mongrels right? That's my vague memory of the "choice" in Fallout 3.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik

Thanks for the link. Confirmed my suspicions.

Check out how incredibly bad their weapons look. Worse than Unity Asset Store.

Example. It's 2010, how is this metal at all? These textures are of lowest quality possible, as is the geometry.
694c65044fa2d4d390bed614e3f4d608.png

Now back to 2004. Looks x10 better. Even though there's less polys, textures are low-res, and the technologies are nowhere near what they were in 2010 (notice how they oftentimes had to cook light reflections into the texture) it looks more realistic and aesthetically pleasing.
500px-VTMB_Thirty_Eight.jpg

500px-VTMB_Colt_Anaconda_1.jpg

Of course there's no reason to hope for Obsidian to have competent staff in any department if their MAIN DEPARTMENT (writing) sucks.

Last edited:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Of course there's no reason to hope for Obsidian to have competent staff in any department if their MAIN DEPARTMENT (writing) sucks.

Yeah, Bloodlines was great... it's too bad Obsidian doesn't have anyone nearly as good as the people who made it. Wait, what? The two guys responsible for Bloodlines are working at Obsidian and in charge of their next game? No fucking way!

My mind is blown.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom