Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Prime Junta

Shields seem pretty OK, 3 or 4 in each category.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Concider that only half of unique items have reasonable enchantments on them though. For example, while sabres have stacking on crit, speed, extra pen, frost lash, shock lash; one of the hatchets has basically all abilities against ents. And if in IE games similar weapons were worth keeping, how many ents gave you trouble in PoE2?

Some of those items are gated behind quest choices and first game reactivity, so that emphasizes the imbalance which doesn't seem so bad if you just look at the raw numbers.
And murdering everything in sight including quest givers/NPCs.

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Nothing gives you trouble in PoE2. I wouldn't dismiss situational weapons until difficulty is fixed.

Like, that wooodskin casting unique pike is obviously pointless now. But if your frontline could actually get hurt and die, free woodskin is not bad.

Bonerbill

Augur
I looked up the unique weapons by category from the wiki. Numbers per category in the spoiler. (Since the designers fucked this up I want to know so I can spec my characters sensibly.)

1 Arbalest
4 Arquebuses
2 Battleaxes
4 Blunderbusses
1 Club
1 Crossbow
3 Daggers
3 Estocs
5 Flails
6 Greatswords
3 Hatchets
1 Hunting Bow
2 Maces
2 Morning stars
2 Pikes
3 Pistols
2 Pollaxes
4 Quarterstaves
2 Rapiers
3 Rods
8 Sabres
3 Sceptres
3 Spears
2 Stilettos
7 Swords
1 Torch
1 Wand
3 War Bows
2 Warhammers

Sorted in descending order of numbers available:

8 Sabres
7 Swords
6 Greatswords
5 Flails
4 Arquebuses
4 Blunderbusses
4 Quarterstaves
3 Daggers
3 Estocs
3 Hatchets
3 Pistols
3 Rods
3 Sceptres
3 Spears
3 War Bows
2 Battleaxes
2 Maces
2 Morning stars
2 Pikes
2 Pollaxes
2 Rapiers
2 Stilettos
2 Warhammers
1 Arbalest
1 Club
1 Crossbow
1 Hunting Bow
1 Torch
1 Wand

Best picks for each general category (at least 3 present):

Fast one-handed:
3 Daggers
3 Hatchets

Slow one-handed:
8 Sabres
7 Swords
5 Flails
3 Spears

Two-handed:
6 Greatswords
4 Quarterstaves
3 Estocs

Ranged:
4 Arquebuses
4 Blunderbusses
3 Pistols
3 War Bows

Implements:
3 Rods
3 Sceptres

Well the Kapana Taga turning into a club in patch 1.1, so that 1 less sword and 1 more club. Hopefully they won't add anymore swords or sabers.

Lhynn

Arcane
I gave Pallegina pike and estoc.

Imagine how I feel.
why would u spec her only in weapons that do pierce damage. or you didnt spec her?

Not only. She starts with great sword, then I spec'd her into estoc, quarterstaff and pike for the full armsmaster experience.

only unique pike i found was the stupid fork that is just an exceptional (superb?) pike with some stupid armour buff on top

best estoc i found so far was fine...

unique great sword and quarterstaff i found only yesterday :nocountryforshitposters:
You guys do realize you dont need the proficiency to use any weapon effectively, it just gives you the toggle ive yet to find any use for, as the penalties make them highly situational.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Observation: Unlike PoE1, Josh Sawyer was not the lead designer of PoE2, only the game director - and it turns out that yes, this actually matters.
Bobby "biggest grognard at Obsidian" Null gives the grognards what they said they wanted (a disregard for perfect balance) and it turns out they didn't want it. :hmmm:

Parabalus

Arcane
Concider that only half of unique items have reasonable enchantments on them though. For example, while sabres have stacking on crit, speed, extra pen, frost lash, shock lash; one of the hatchets has basically all abilities against ents. And if in IE games similar weapons were worth keeping, how many ents gave you trouble in PoE2?

In particular there are a total of 4 bows in the game, and the one unique hunting bow seems lackluster (didn't math it though, could be good for dwarves [yes, the ONE hunting bow has racial bonuses, thanks Sagani!]) compared to all 3 incredible unique war bows. The frost war bow did get nerfed though.

I started with hunting bow coz that's what I rolled with in PoE1 and had to switch since there just aren't any in Dumpsterfire :argh:.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bobby "biggest grognard at Obsidian" Null gives the grognards what they said they wanted (a disregard for perfect balance) and it turns out they didn't want it.

Well they want some of it. Josh's upcoming nerfs could be interpreted as an undoing of Bobby Null's work.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Observation: Unlike PoE1, Josh Sawyer was not the lead designer of PoE2, only the game director - and it turns out that yes, this actually matters.
Bobby "biggest grognard at Obsidian" Null gives the grognards what they said they wanted (a disregard for perfect balance) and it turns out they didn't want it. :hmmm:

The Codex on PoE1: game sucks because Josh wore too many hats
The Codex on Deadfire: game sucks because Josh allowed other people to wear some of his hats

:happytrollboy:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Nothing gives you trouble in PoE2. I wouldn't dismiss situational weapons until difficulty is fixed.
I used druid flame sword spell today for first time.

The reason was I fought some skull trolls (the bounty) and since my fighters had normal weapons mostly, troll armor was so high, regardless of weapon type they did like 6 damage a hit and troll leader also regenerated.

Then druid with slash/flame spell came in and began hitting troll for 20-40 damage.

Now I am even more confused about armor scaling.

If you have normal/fine weapons it works. But I know that getting a better weapon would change everything back again.

Overall with skull encounters I find that, if I can't beat them outright, I have 2 options:
a) Everyone takes 1 single handed weapon + drug
or
b) I get 1 extra character level/at least exceptional weapons.

Good? Bad? Metagaming shit? I don't know. But if game was more balanced like these trolls it might be more interesting.

I still feel the moment I reach level 8 game will break again. I want to be level 1-7 forever.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
The Codex on PoE1: game sucks because Josh wore too many hats
The Codex on Deadfire: game sucks because Josh allowed other people to wear some of his hats

:happytrollboy:

There's a common denominator in there somewhere xD

Jokes, he's just face of the franchise, so it's easy for uneducated swine like me to point the finger. There's plenty of peeps here to set the record straight.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
but i had a number of import glitches so it's not like i'm surprised, probably a consequence of importing a poe 1.0 save

Yeah

Looks like you need to at least launch PoE, load the endgame save and watch the ending again, if you are going to import pre-3.0/2.0 saves.

Among the 3 saves I imported, only the 1.0~ one got bugged reactivity.

Tigranes

Arcane
I think, given that you get no penalties for nonproficient weapons, they needed to cut some weapon categories. If we tried to have 4-5 good uniques for every category that means the player gets literally over a hundred good uniques they can choose quite freely from, and it would simply feel like you're swimming in great gear you don't need (which is already somewhat the case). Either you require weapon proficiencies, you reduce weapon types, or you make weapon bonuses even more situational, so that there is more of a choice & limitation.

Right now the obvious picks are swords and sabres, both of which feature great variety and very good specific uniques, and then arquebuses and war bows for their great uniques.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just got my first crash after winning the fight with Cocelhaut. Hah.

I just upgraded my ship from the smallest one to the biggest one. I didn't even bother with the other ones. Might pick them up just to spend some money, lol. I reached Tikawara, and after having ran through it a few times, I'm just rushing.

Parabalus

Arcane
The modals are situational and you can use weapons without them, the saber one is pretty bad/situational (at least before PotD enemy armor buffs) so you can use all the unique sabers without any drawback.

It's more of an ingrained idea issue than having any root in gameplay.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Josh comes on here and starts saying how he REALLY feels
Him coming here is so unlikely that it will be news in itself. I wonder why that is - is SomethingAwful so much "better" than here from a developer's perspective? Or maybe it's not, but for Josh it's the force of habit that makes him prefer that forum.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The modals are situational and you can use weapons without them, the saber one is pretty bad/situational (at least before PotD enemy armor buffs) so you can use all the unique sabers without any drawback.

I think specializations proficiencies are underused as a mechanic, they need more prominent effects. However, having a malus for using a non-proficient weapon would rather suck... Maybe there is something else that can be done about proficiencies.

Last edited:

jf8350143

Liturgist
The good thing is ,when it comes to equipment, they could always just made several unique armour and weapon and put it out as a free DLC. There's plenty fight that didn't drop anything interesting, like all those ship bounties.

Parabalus

Arcane

I think specializations are underused as a mechanic, they need more prominent effects. However, having a malus for using a non-proficient weapon would rather suck... Maybe there is something else that can be done about specializations.

Specializations are the fighter ability which tag onto generic proficiencies, that actually does exactly what you're describing, if I'm interpreting correctly that you meant proficiencies.

I like the proficiency modals TBH, much better than in Bg2-like having to preplan/metagame fighters since they can only use weapons with 5 pips.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Him coming here is so unlikely that it will be news in itself. I wonder why that is - is SomethingAwful so much "better" than here from a developer's perspective? Or maybe it's not, but for Josh it's the force of habit that makes him prefer that forum.

He'll cuck the SA forums to come on here and profess his deepest thoughts about Obsidian, PoE and the industry. SA is obviously not better than here, we've all seen the nightmare-inducing posts that he listens to.

AwesomeButton

Patron

He'll cuck the SA forums to come on here and profess his deepest thoughts about Obsidian, PoE and the industry. SA is obviously not better than here, we've all seen the nightmare-inducing posts that he listens to.
Maybe he thinks they represent the average gamer's outlook and perception of games.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I just got my first crash after winning the fight with Cocelhaut. Hah.

Interesting. Something about that map might be b0rked then, because I had my first crash there as well (on reloading).

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Maybe he thinks they represent the average gamer's outlook and perception of games.

Average gamers don't go on forums to discuss mechanics and design, though. Maybe the average of those that do, but they are also an equal minority in the grand scheme of things.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
This CYOA storm moment was great actually. It was fun and conveyed a feeling of danger, of decisiveness.

you are pretty easily impressed

Most likely.

I actually enjoy PoE 2. Much more than I thought I would. Now, even though I'm a Turn Based Combat addict, I begin to wonder if I don't prefer PoE 2 to DOS 2.

Anyhbody would have told me this 6 months ago, I would have called a mythomaniac.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom