Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I gave Pallegina pike and estoc.

Imagine how I feel.
why would u spec her only in weapons that do pierce damage. or you didnt spec her?

Not only. She starts with great sword, then I spec'd her into estoc, quarterstaff and pike for the full armsmaster experience.

only unique pike i found was the stupid fork that is just an exceptional (superb?) pike with some stupid armour buff on top

best estoc i found so far was fine...

unique great sword and quarterstaff i found only yesterday :nocountryforshitposters:

Sizzle

Arcane
That also stood out to me: PoE1 had, on the whole, great weapon & armor variety. But here, every other weapon is either a saber or a regular sword.

Strange that JS allowed this to happen - for all his faults as a designer, he always strived to give enough options when it came to equipment in his games.

Now, sabers being the most common makes sense in part because of the setting. But still, to me, this seems like another indication that there was some sort of mismanagement/rushed production here.

Just like with romances ("Of course I'll make this character bisexual!"), if you let a writer/designer make up their own weapons, most of them will gravitate towards sabers and swords ("It's a pirate-themed game, so of course it's gonna be a saber! And swords, I like swords, swords are cool! Can it be a katana? No? Still, swords, yeah, awesomesauce.")

Prime Junta

unique great sword

If your save import has the Blade of the Endless Paths and Whispers of Yenwood, you'll have their shards in your captain's locker. The blacksmith at Periki's Overlook can forge them into a unique greatsword as soon as you arrive in Neketaka.

Sizzle yeah obvious lack of coordination and oversight here.

Also obvious lack of imagination from the designers. Clubs, daggers, stilettos, hatchets, PISTOLS!!!111one, blunderbusses, and arquebuses are rather obviously maritime-themed weapons. I would have expected them to have those at least.

Still, good to know. I'll just spec everyone in swords and sabres. :happytrollboy:

Matticus

Educated
I believe the high prevalence of swords/sabers was due to their crowdfunding obligations.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
If your save import has the Blade of the Endless Paths and Whispers of Yenwood, you'll have their shards in your captain's locker. The blacksmith at Periki's Overlook can forge them into a unique greatsword as soon as you arrive in Neketaka.

my kaptin's locker had only whispers of yenwood shard (which reforges into normal sword) even though i had endless path blehd in my old playthrough for sure

but i had a number of import glitches so it's not like i'm surprised, probably a consequence of importing a poe 1.0 save

Prime Junta

Didn't he say that the overabundance of swords and sabers was due to backer designed items?

He did but in P1 they pushed back against that tendency, asking the backers to pick some other weapon type if there were too many swords. They clearly gave up on that for DF. Annoying. I'm expecting the DLCs will fix this.

srsly bros don't play Obsidian games on release unless you enjoy bitching about them

Polanski

Scholar
Are there not supposed to be any tough battles in this game?

Just beat Concelhaut and Yseyr quite easily and they seemed framed like they were supposed to be very tough with 3 skulls and all.

POTD ofc

Sizzle

Arcane
For some weapons - there's only ONE unique in the entire game!

FFS, I understand the need to make backers happy, but all of this could have been avoided by saying something along the lines of: "Sorry, that category is filled up, so could you please choose one of the following: ___, ____, ___? Like in PoE1, we want to have a wide range of different weapons, that will appeal to different playing styles and combat preferences."

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I'm not sure if we can blame the backers for lack of weapon variety.

There are six 2-handed weapon types.
There are three firearm types.
There are two crossbow types.
There are two bow types.
There are 500000 one-handed melee types.

Just purely based on that there's gonna be more one-handed stuff than everything else.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Clubs, daggers, stilettos, hatchets, PISTOLS!!!111one, blunderbusses, and arquebuses are rather obviously maritime-themed weapons. I would have expected them to have those at least.

And you'd have expected correctly, most of those are represented more than decently. There are 4 or 5 arquebuses, several pistols, many bludnerbusses and couple daggers.

It's the non-piraty themed stuff that is lacking - staffs, wands, bows, crossbows and most of 2-handed weapons - those often only have one unique in the entire game.

Trashos

Arcane
Apparently, Josh lost the plot with the weapon types, the romances, and the console release. Weird. I wonder if he (re)joins the Codex at some point to spill the beans.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That also stood out to me: PoE1 had, on the whole, great weapon & armor variety. But here, every other weapon is either a saber or a regular sword.

Strange that JS allowed this to happen - for all his faults as a designer, he always strived to give enough options when it came to equipment in his games.

Observation: Unlike PoE1, Josh Sawyer was not the lead designer of PoE2, only the game director - and it turns out that yes, this actually matters.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
People who get ignored/overruled/"oppressed" for too long tend to start building guillotines, soooo. I expect another media sensation as Josh comes on here and starts saying how he REALLY feels. We can't get away from playing therapist, huh, can we?

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Also obvious lack of imagination from the designers. Clubs, daggers, stilettos, hatchets, PISTOLS!!!111one, blunderbusses, and arquebuses are rather obviously maritime-themed weapons. I would have expected them to have those at least.

Still, good to know. I'll just spec everyone in swords and sabres. :happytrollboy:

I was going to say this. Sailors use a wide variety of weapons.
I've found it's less annoying to just find a weapon with likable stats and upgrades, and invest in it. It'll be as good as anything you find later.

Anyhow, here are the weapons I've found after cleaning about 95% of the map, about to go to Ukaizo, either drops, craft or from quests (didn't buy):

584VFyh.png

In descending order:

4 long swords
4 blunderbusses
2 hatchets
2 morning stars
1 estoc
2 maces
1 quarterstaff
1 war hammer
1 stiletto
1 pike
1 spear
1 dagger
1 wand
1 arquebus
3 rods
1 pollaxe
2 scepters
2 pistols
1 flail
3 war bows
1 hunting bow
3 large shields
1 medium shield
2 great swords
5 sabres

Hopefully this helps when planning builds, although by this point, I have enough money to buy every shop and the street they're on.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Anyhow, here are the weapons I've found after cleaning about 95% of the map, about to go to Ukaizo, either drops, craft or from quests (didn't buy):

584VFyh.png

In descending order:

4 long swords
4 blunderbusses
2 hatchets
2 morning stars
1 estoc
2 maces
1 quarterstaff
1 war hammer
1 stiletto
1 pike
1 spear
1 dagger
1 wand
1 arquebus
3 rods
1 pollaxe
2 scepters
2 pistols
1 flail
3 war bows
1 hunting bow
3 large shields
1 medium shield
2 great swords
5 sabres

Hopefully this helps when planning builds, although by this point, I have enough money to buy every shop and the street they're on.

I am pretty sure you dont have all the items. I had at least one other medium shield (blue one) and two more pistols.

No unique war axes at all?

There is a fire axe, yes.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I am pretty sure you dont have all the items. I had at least one other medium shield (blue one) and two more pistols.

I'm not surprised, it's just what I've found. Even with items you've added, it doesn't change the picture much.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Lost a sailor and a mast during a storm : the aptly named Rum Dumb Riggere. Poor sod fell in the sea and we just had time to recommend his soul to Ondra. This CYOA storm moment was great actually. It was fun and conveyed a feeling of danger, of decisiveness. Showed for once what was at stake when fooling around with all those boats thing. And I find that it's something PoE often fails at (don't know if it's the rest system or whatever).

But then once we get out the storm, sails a few days, and I open the boat management screen to find out the sailor is still there, alive and kicking, the hull 100% fine.

Is it a bug or those CYOA fatalities are usually without consequence ?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
This CYOA storm moment was great actually. It was fun and conveyed a feeling of danger, of decisiveness.

you are pretty easily impressed

i just mashed 1 until i won

Is it a bug

sounds like a bug imo, actually i think it happened to me too - the storm was all 'zomg damage to hull -50' while in the end the litany of fureh had some 20 damage sustained and iirc it was from a previous naval engagement

Prime Junta

I looked up the unique weapons by category from the wiki. Numbers per category in the spoiler. (Since the designers fucked this up I want to know so I can spec my characters sensibly.)

Edit: updated to add shields and include reassignment of one weapon from sword to club... must've been a pretty dull sword

1 Arbalest
4 Arquebuses
2 Battleaxes
4 Blunderbusses
1 Club (2 in 1.1)
1 Crossbow
3 Daggers
3 Estocs
5 Flails
6 Greatswords
3 Hatchets
1 Hunting Bow
2 Maces
2 Morning stars
2 Pikes
3 Pistols
2 Pollaxes
4 Quarterstaves
2 Rapiers
3 Rods
8 Sabres
3 Sceptres
3 Spears
2 Stilettos
7 Swords (6 in 1.1)
1 Torch
1 Wand
3 War Bows
2 Warhammers

Sorted in descending order of numbers available:

8 Sabres
7 Swords (6 in 1.1)
6 Greatswords
5 Flails
4 Arquebuses
4 Blunderbusses
4 Quarterstaves
3 Daggers
3 Estocs
3 Hatchets
3 Pistols
3 Rods
3 Sceptres
3 Spears
3 War Bows
2 Battleaxes
2 Maces
2 Morning stars
2 Pikes
2 Pollaxes
2 Rapiers
2 Stilettos
2 Warhammers
1 Arbalest
1 Club (2 in 1.1)
1 Crossbow
1 Hunting Bow
1 Torch
1 Wand

Best picks for each general category (at least 3 present):

Fast one-handed:
3 Daggers
3 Hatchets

Slow one-handed:
8 Sabres
7 Swords
5 Flails
3 Spears

Two-handed:
6 Greatswords
4 Quarterstaves
3 Estocs

Ranged:
4 Arquebuses
4 Blunderbusses
3 Pistols
3 War Bows

Implements:
3 Rods
3 Sceptres

Shields:
3 Small
3 Medium (or 4? not sure about one of them)
4 Large

Last edited by a moderator:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Some of those items are gated behind quest choices and first game reactivity, so that emphasizes the imbalance which doesn't seem so bad if you just look at the raw numbers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom