Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
An aspect I don't see mentioned that often: I really like the slower healing in DS2.
Healing over time can't be changed, but the slow action of chugging estus can be made faster by levelling ADP, the same stat that also gives you more iframes on dodges.

Jezal_k23

Yeah I meant the health bar going up more slowly than the other DS games. More intense this way.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I cannot defend the price for this shit cause it's an obvious cash grab however I find the game much more enjoyable (and easy) now because of the stable frame-rate.

I agree that it should be easy mode for me after I've spent many hours with the original and DS2 and DS3 but it's not that ... I've tried DaS + DSFix like 2 months ago and I quit in disgust cause I could not make it work properly and I still had nightmares from the 1st play-through with Kb +mouse when the framerate went completely shit as soon as a boss was close to my avatar (no to mention the retarded GFWL).

On the other hand, this new release works flawlessly at a solid 60 FPS and I have to be honest and say that I'm enjoying it much more than the original + DSFix. My PC is not shit (i7-5820K, GTX 1080 Ti, SSD) but the framerate was nowhere near stable with DSFix even on lower resolutions.

And the difference in experience is so drastic for me that now I can be in control while fighting Black and Silver Knights with my low level character. This is one thing that I could not do with the original + DSFix: every fight with these mobs was degenerating in some kind of panic mode and I remember clearly that (1) I had to cheese them or (2) return over-leveled. Now, they are easy to beat because I can actually see when their combo animations start. It's like playing a completely different game.

Bottom line: I don't know what to say. It still is a shitty cash grab and I wanted to hate it but based on a impulse I've decided to try it and now I'm actually happy that it exists. That's all.

Some pictures:

Mandatory Solaire :)
EABF39ACE9DE470475146F73D14AF9AE601CEF7C

I used the Claymore to kill the first Black Knight (3rd try) when I realized that something is different about the game: I could easily dodge and even backstab him. Good times.
704A521E061B172AAC13C7E08295AB37342D5302

For some retarded reason (which means no actual reason) I decided to revisit the Undead Asylum as soon as I've unlocked the elevator shortcut. Lvl 16 (I could only hold the Zweihander with both hands) and I took me like 10 tries to kill the Stray Demon cause he was able to one-shot me with any hit or his magic explosions (those are fucking nasty). The fight was like 5+ minutes because I wasn't able to do a lot of damage to him but in the end it was worth being retarded.
7139D8A6178A1FBC21FD712A3F2ADD0B61D70C50

Got more confidence and 20k souls from the demon, I leveled-up and went for the Silver Knights found in the Undead Asylum. Well, I can only say that the Zweihander is a beast :)
B64B7548E41F41932E0B3A9C4530FC030016E35D

Last remark: the backstab mechanic is retarded but the combat is absolutely great when compared with DS3's combat (and I still think that DS2's combat is the best in the series). I kind of missed it.

On the other hand, this new release works flawlessly at a solid 60 FPS and I have to be honest and say that I'm enjoying it much more than the original + DSFix. My PC is not shit (i7-5820K, GTX 1080 Ti, SSD) but the framerate was nowhere near stable with DSFix even on lower resolutions.

It is stable. Stable 30. Trying to run DSFix above 30 is a mistake. You need to unlock FPS to fix FPS drops to 15 during boss fights and limit it to 30. It feels fine at 30 too. A lot of games are unplayable without stable 60 but this one isn't one of them. Of course I cannot deny that non buggy 60 FPS is a lot more preferable though. I've been wanting to try that Rekindled mod sometime in the future, so if they release a version of it that works on Remaster I might be actually tempted to get it.

Arnust

Savant
Thank god for the Remaster, adding more layers of foliage making it look more natura-
20180603101513_1.jpg

At least good ole Kilian is making something fun out of this:

DoomIhlVaria

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here I'm very into cock and ball torture
Just finished Dark Souls Remastered. I forgot how gimmicky the PvP can be the original. It was non-stop backstab fishers and fire spammers. Of the several dozen times I was invaded, the only dudes who didn't fit that description were one magic user and two giants daddies. Between that and the two ring limit, I was really yearning for Dark Souls II.

The Decline

Arcane
you fags are actually playing this 'remastered' abomination? codex never disappoints :lol:

yup. can't believe how many :decline: enablers there are on the 'dex.

i lied, i can... particularly when i see who, as there are plenty posters who are :decline: incarnate

Oddly enough I just finished a co-op playthrough of the original release with the rekindled mod. No interest in giving Bamco money for a shitty patch.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I played without DSFix and I had stable framerate even in Blightown.

praetor

Arcane
you fags are actually playing this 'remastered' abomination? codex never disappoints :lol:

yup. can't believe how many :decline: enablers there are on the 'dex.

i lied, i can... particularly when i see who, as there are plenty posters who are :decline: incarnate

Oddly enough I just finished a co-op playthrough of the original release with the rekindled mod. No interest in giving Bamco money for a shitty patch.

I just finished up Anor Londo with rekindled. the dude who did it is quite the bastard with the new ICBM locations :D

i'm liking it. some item location reshuffling seemed unnecessary and just pointless changing for change sake (like the rusted ring <-> doll swap), and some added enemies seem more "modders gonna mod" then necessary (them ladies in depths and besttown), but for the most part i like it. all the changes make it almost fresh, since you never know what you'll get with that shiny you used to know, and you need to hunt for half the bonfires once again since they've changed locations (again, some are misses, like the first in darkroot, some are awesome, like bottom besttown and upper sen's fun place)

Jezal_k23

With DSFix I had stable 30, but not 60, Blighttown.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Yeah I rather had very good looking Ambient Occlusion, full x8 AA, Depth of Field and a rock solid 30 FPS for a game that was made for that than glitchy (especially on bosses) 60 FPS

Jezal_k23

Yeah I rather had very good looking Ambient Occlusion, full x8 AA, Depth of Field and a rock solid 30 FPS for a game that was made for that than glitchy (especially on bosses) 60 FPS
It was not really glitchy - I mean, what, you have to jump instead of roll to get back to the Undead Asylum and the jump for the Iaito in Blighttown doesn't work. Oh, and you can't slide down ladders. If you want to do these things then you just press Backspace to go back to 30fps and press it again to go to 60fps when you're done. Hardly game breaking. I'd classify it as nearly perfect.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Rang both bells, killed Sif, some forrest pvp, leveled up to 49 and ... I lost any will to continue.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Today I killed the centipede demon, bed of chaos and firesage demon. Ive killed every single thing in this game with a healthbar except for Gwyn. Any tips on things to do before I kill the old man?

Wunderbar

Arcane
Today I killed the centipede demon, bed of chaos and firesage demon. Ive killed every single thing in this game with a healthbar except for Gwyn. Any tips on things to do before I kill the old man?
you can't continue playing after killing final boss. So upgrade everything you want and get every titanite slab you can for NG+.

L'Montes

Educated

You can kill all the blacksmiths and anyone else you left alive if you didn't finish their quests.

Every Blacksmith has a unique weapon, and Vamos has a unique helm. There's Gwyndolin in Anor Londo too. A few bosses/NPCs have their armor sets on the shifty trader under the aqueduct after you've killed them (he moves there after the depths), these include Smough/Ornstein (whichever you killed last), Gwyndolin, Artorias, and the final boss. He also sells the Master Key if you didn't pick it as a gift.

You can check on Snuggly Trades, depending on what you did in your playthrough. The bird gives easy access to some things that are otherwise hard to come by (Old Witch Ring, if you didn't pick it as a gift).

If you want any of the boss soul weapons, it definitely more straightforward when you access to both Andre and the Giant Blacksmith.

DemonKing

Arcane

To be honest I was skeptical after playing it on PC on and off for many years with the DS Fix mod and finding it very sluggish, unresponsive and hard to get into in.

Now I have a PS4 and this runs smooth as butter, plus there's currently a big player base which means if you need bros to help out through the hard bits there's always some on hand and PVP is nice and active too.

It doesn't really bring anything new to the table for veterans but it succeeds well enough in bringing a classic game to a new audience/hardware. Whether that's worth the entry price or not is up to the individual.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom