Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Josh Sawyer Q&A Thread

Quillon

Arcane
Became relevant:
A good RPG is never too long, nor it is too short, it is precisely lengthy as it needs to be.

:dance:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Bloodlines has a really long "sidequest" to open a locked fence but everyone seems to enjoy that content. :)

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Size or should I say length matters. If you don't have time for good, lengthy RPG then it's not the problem with RPG that it's long but that you're shitty with time management. As long as you're enjoying it, it can't be too long. That's like saying sex was too long. No woman would say that if she enjoyed it from start until finish.

If there's any female, identified as such by doctor on birth, in these forsaken woods feel free to give us your opinion about length, length of RPGs.

Also would you say girth also matters? Girth of content in RPGs.
:smug:

2house2fly

Magister
Respecting your time means it is designed effectively with alot of QoA features and optimization.

Like a 4 hour game can not respect my time if half of them are unskippable cutscene or loading screen.

The same can apply if a 150 hour game can resepct my time if every second of it is a pure joy and enjoyment
Yes, when I think of "respecting my time" I think of things like doing quests in Defiance Bay in Pillars 1 that require you to go through multiple of the game's insanely long loading screens (which tbf Sawyer has apologised for)

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Respecting your time means it is designed effectively with alot of QoA features and optimization.

Like a 4 hour game can not respect my time if half of them are unskippable cutscene or loading screen.

The same can apply if a 150 hour game can resepct my time if every second of it is a pure joy and enjoyment

Pretty much. Just like how a 20-hour fetch quest can disrespect my time, so can a 30-minute one. It's just that we are much more used to HUGE games disrespecting one's time, especially because journalists don't praise games based on "10 HOURS OF GAMEPLAY!!".

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
If hes gonna cite NWN2 as a timewaster why not point out the trash mobs, the big empty areas, the orc caves yadda, yadda.
Or IWD 2. A game where you spend 90% of time perpetrating a genocide of the fantastically disadvantaged.

Or ES: Oblivion where you spend 50% of time closing Oblivion gates mole holes, other 45% of time wondering are sigil stones in center of them Mehrunes Dagon's fiery balls kidney stones pearls from his pearl necklace which you need to gift him in order to make him your Daedric Slut Princess Waifu and last 5% formatting your entire hard disc and erasing all evidence that you ever came in touch with this... thing. Also changing your dealer. Don't forget that one cause otherwise Oblivion and 200 mods somehow reinstall themselves again after some time.

Also perpetuum mobile trash mobs which keep respawning like herpes on your face in younger days.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Did someone ever ask him why PoE mixes absurdly specific stats (AoE 19.4 burn damage for 27.4 seconds in a 7.2 meter radius plus 4.6 crushing damage when using your mouse left-handed etc.) with stupidly vague descriptions (like 'Attack Speed: average / extremely slow etc.)?

I'm playing PoE I again and it drives me fucking mad!

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Did someone ever ask him why PoE mixes absurdly specific stats (AoE 19.4 burn damage for 27.4 seconds in a 7.2 meter radius plus 4.6 crushing damage when using your mouse left-handed etc.) with stupidly vague descriptions (like 'Attack Speed: average / extremely slow etc.)?

The only thing that still surprises me is how few people actually raise this issue.

2house2fly

Magister
I can see why having a generalised attack speed is annoying (especially since a slow sword is different in speed to a slow gun) but stuff like damage type and length of effect seem ideal to know in very precise terms

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I can see why having a generalised attack speed is annoying (especially since a slow sword is different in speed to a slow gun) but stuff like damage type and length of effect seem ideal to know in very precise terms
It's the discrepancy between the informations given that annoys me.

Though I don't think much would have been lost - and much clarity could have been gained - if the numbers were rounded to full or half seconds instead of accurate two decimal places.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Haven't watched the vid yet. What is the possibility that Sawyer will go the way of Avellone and simply split Obsidian after this game?

Edit: You also have to wonder if this thought registers in the minds of the leadership there. Not only that, but the fact that Leon Boyarski and Tim Cain have no fear of leaving a company and going their own way if they don't like how things are going must weigh in on Feargus' mind a bit too.

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Haven't watched the vid yet. What is the possibility that Sawyer will go the way of Avellone and simply split Obsidian after this game?

Edit: You also have to wonder if this thought registers in the minds of the leadership there. Not only that, but the fact that Leon Boyarski and Tim Cain have no fear of leaving a company and going their own way if they don't like how things are going must weigh in on Feargus' mind a bit too.

Feargus threatened to shit can Adam & Sawyer if PoE1 had another delay.

He's probably not that worried about it.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
That was before PoE became New Obsidian though. And because Feargus knew that if they didn't deliver on this it would fuck their reputation.

Now, everything coming out of Obsidian IS Sawyer/POE. Look at the major updates, comments on twitter, all that shit. Who's slowly becoming the designing face of Obsidian at this juncture?

As far as I can see it is Sawyer.

Tim and Leon are industry vets, no two words about it, but they're not the current face of Obsidian by way of developing games and pushing out stuff. Not yet anyway.

The Bishop

Cipher

AFAIK they had trouble calculating animation times in Unity 4, and you need to do that to know how much time exactly an attack is going to take. Unity 5 solves the problem though.

Quillon

Arcane
Design Director, Game Director, System Designer, Writer, Linguist, Singer, Song Writer, Avid Twitterer, Social Justice Warrior, Cyclist, Question Answerer, Youtuber, Tumblrererererer, Cat owner, Twitcher... next he'll be narrative lead for his FYSMD if he's not already for Deadfire and then he'll run for President.

He's doing it...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom