Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How do you normally come up with character names?

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Robot Chicken is shit. I hate seeing it come on TV and hearing Seth Green do the same fucking voice for every character. I wish I could get paid to play with action figures like when I was a kid.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Some female names I like using: Mara, Medea, Victoria

Male names: Robin (Ranger or Thief), Pater John (Cleric), Adrian, Qi (Monk), Sam (Samurai)

Citizen

One of the words that are common and recognizable, but mostly used in combinations (short circuit, etc.). So it's a common dictionary word that is still not picked as a nickname on most websites (now picked by me, of course). It means I can use one name for my various accounts, without resorting to some elf-speak gibberish or long forgettable ones.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Biblical names for me. IE Barabbas is perfect for a roguish (thief or assassin gild member) in AoD or Dungeon Rats run.

deuxhero

Arcane
For single player I have a handful of generic names. Nobody says them most of the time, especially now that voice acting is everywhere, so it doesn't really matter.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I just come up with them on the spot. There's way too much emphasis on people getting melodramatic over naming their characters.

Dedup

Augur
I mostly go with random bullshit that pops into my head, though sometimes I'll use biblical names. The exception to this was when I played Wasteland for the first time a few years ago. There I named everyone after characters from 80s action movies.

Darkzone

Arcane
I use character names from classic literature with changed literals or even permutations of 2-4 places in the name if it is a longer name. Or i take the names provided by the DnD books with minor changes.

Zanzoken

Arcane
I tend to use a lot of Hellenistic and Roman names. Not tria nomina but just simplified versions.

Gods, emperors, generals, academics, or sometimes an aspect of society -- i.e. Thraex is a name I use sometimes, which was a type of gladiator.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I usually name my characters after French philosophers and ridicule them harshly whenever they happen to fail at the task at hand and I'm drunk enough to talk to a computer screen, which would make for quite a spectacle were I not very lonely
You didn't happen to be one of the writers on NieR: Automata by any chance? :M

Ysaye

Arbiter
I remember back in the early 90s I had a walkthrough book for a range of RPG and adventure games including (from memory) The Bard's Tale, Might and Magic 4, The Immortal and Wizardry I amongst others. It had a whole chapter on naming characters in CRPGs where it recommended that you needed names that you would actually remember in the heat of the battle; there was no point in naming them "Fred" if you would forget on the spurr of the moment that he was a mage and was not suited to melee combat. Not sure exactly where the heat came from given the games being covered were all turn based; wish I could find the book again....

Cael

Arcane
I remember back in the early 90s I had a walkthrough book for a range of RPG and adventure games including (from memory) The Bard's Tale, Might and Magic 4, The Immortal and Wizardry I amongst others. It had a whole chapter on naming characters in CRPGs where it recommended that you needed names that you would actually remember in the heat of the battle; there was no point in naming them "Fred" if you would forget on the spurr of the moment that he was a mage and was not suited to melee combat. Not sure exactly where the heat came from given the games being covered were all turn based; wish I could find the book again....
392091.jpg
1527460.jpg

Alkarl

Learned
Here are some I use-

Female names: Mirabelle, Aegryth, Zodnessa, Mesarthm, Ophelia, Ferdi, Hemlock, Hecate

Male names: Robin, Dean, Renzo, Hugo, Gen, Cedric, Finneas, Hadrick, Heoruwulf

Not much of a common theme, although I typically try to give them different sounding names and I prefer if they all start with a different letter. I also pilfered a few from a certain game; usually use those when I'm out of ideas.

And I'm totally naming my future daughter Zodnessa, she'll fucking hate me love it. :lol:

janior

Arcane
Patron
lolloolo
trolo
bolo
KOlo
Yolo
Man, I really hate that YOLO nonsense. It always comes from some stupid twerp in his/her 30s-40s trying to sound hip and modern. Every time I see it, I always think, "I wish you can live 1000 times... so that I can end you 1000 times!"
YOLO

Iolo?
trololololo

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom