Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Golden Era vs Rennaissance (late 90s/early 00s) [POLL]

Which era have the best rpgs?

• Golden Era

Votes: 29 38.2%
  • Rennaissance (by Lilura)

Votes: 47 61.8%

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Most of the regular commenters don't even follow the blog... they just comment. Followers doesn't mean all that much; in fact, nor do comments. For readership, what matters is traffic.

For example, I recently banned all Anonymous/Unknown commenters. That's how much comments mean to me.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Most of the regular commenters don't even follow the blog... they just comment. Followers doesn't mean all that much; in fact, nor do comments. For readership, what matters is traffic.

Question is, what matters to you. That people read about optimal builds and strategies without giving any feedback? What would be the point?

For example, I recently banned all Anonymous/Unknown commenters. That's how much comments mean to me.

It could actually mean you value a personal component in your commenters :smug:

shit, I'm getting too deep into this

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Question is, what matters to you. That people read about optimal builds and strategies without giving any feedback? What would be the point?

First and foremost, for my own gratification and self-reference. Also, traffic doesn't lie. People read this sort of stuff, believe or not. Search keywords also don't lie.

I value several of the commenters that I "know", for sure. But mainly the measures were taken in order to blank out the EE 'tards, spam, and insipid drive-bys like "Love your blog!" and "You suck!"

Cael

Arcane
Too late, she has already watermarked it.
stock-photo-cute-nice-spoony-little-puppy-of-english-bull-dog-walking-scary-in-empty-flat-on-dalle-tile-close-594016184.jpg

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Dark Ages from 1994 to 1996

Mh, okay, but I don't really think two years counts as a whole era and consequently what followed as a Renaissance. Two years is a pretty seamless transition, the real Dark Ages (or Decline Era?) was a whole decade.

It was considered the Dark Ages before the we reached the X-Box era.
From today's perspective I agree that 2003-2011 was a greater Dark Age.

Dark Ages / Steep Decline began with Kickstarter Renaissance aka neo-Renaissance.

Then what do you call the decade before Kickstarter in 2012?

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck

First and foremost, for my own gratification

what's the gratification if you don't know if people agree/ disagree/ know better/ browse just to laugh at you?

and self-reference.

plz explain? I don't get it.

Also, traffic doesn't lie. People read this sort of stuff, believe or not. Search keywords also don't lie.

What people definitely do is browse. What they read or skip is anyone's guess without comments.

I value several of the commenters that I "know", for sure. But mainly the measures were taken in order to blank out the EE 'tards, spam, and insipid drive-bys like "Love your blog!" and "You suck!"

Hmm. But then, that type isn't really much of a commenter, right? You enjoy a certain standard in your nerd talk after all. So weeding those people out doesn't really say much about how you feel about comments.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady

You mean the one that includes the likes of Warband, Knights of the Chalice, Vampire Bloodlines, Temple of Elemental Evil, Silent Storm, Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, Witcher, Witcher 2, New Vegas, Alpha Protocol, Gothic 2, Hammer & Sickle, Dark Souls, Hordes of the Underdark and Mask of the Betrayer?

"Better."

octavius

Arcane
Patron

You mean the one that includes the likes of Warband, Knights of the Chalice, Vampire Bloodlines, Temple of Elemental Evil, Silent Storm, Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, Witcher, Witcher 2, New Vegas, Alpha Protocol, Gothic 2, Hammer & Sickle, Dark Souls, Hordes of the Underdark and Mask of the Betrayer?

"Better."

Well, my experience of that decade was different. It definitely felt like an era of decline to me, with fewer and fewer interesting games after the X-Box was released, and increasing use of intrusive DRM.

Warband, ToEE, Silent Storm and KotC are he most interesting ones on that list, but I never saw any of the three first for sale in local stores.

NWN I didn't really care for. Disliked the little I played of it.

I didn't like what I heard about Mass Effect, Dragon Age and Vampire Bloodlines, the two first being "dating simulations" and the latter too story faggoty.

Also, there was the issue of DRM for many of the games.

So my favourite game of, of the few I've played of that era is probably Dark Messiah of Might&Magic.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I forgot KotOR II. That quick list is also not exhaustive. For quick reference, see sig (you will note that you are still credited, and that I mention a drop-off starting around 2005, but I'd still rather that year-grouping to the Kickstarter "Renaissance").

Neanderthal

Arcane
Golden age definitely, as i've said afore you can't play BG after U7 without realising what an absolutely huge step down it was in every department except for combat an graphics.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Best Wizardry games came out in the 2000-2007, however best Elminage game came out in 2014. Fuck, it's hard to choose.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I'm still a bit sore

I mean, I'm still a bit sore he didn't ask me out for dinner.
Yeah,is that kind of a gay. Sore ass first,dinner later. He even tried that shit with me,and i killed him. Still the undead waifu is pretty cool,at least it doesn't talk much.

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I used to say 10 years ago, we had such gems as.... Now it's 20-30 years ago. I feel old.

:negative:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Why not, right?

Which era is the best for RPGs? The golden one (1985/1995) or the late 90s/early 00s? You decide.

Wizardry, MM, Ultima, Gold Box, Darklands, krondor...

Fallout, Arcanum, PST, Baldurs Gate, Morrowind, Deus Ex...

The best computer games ever made are here. Both eras were great, and we still play and talk about them. But since we love lists and polls, we need to make this hard decision. Best of luck.

Should have included Revival in the poll so people would have to compare Age of Decadence and Underrail against the legends.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom