Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I see convenience as clicking the "create shortcut on desktop" checkbox during installation. Having a spyware program for some company load at startup and monitor what processes are running and sending god knows what data to GOG or whoever doesn't sound like convenience, at least not my convenience.

Parabalus

Arcane
I see convenience as clicking the "create shortcut on desktop" checkbox during installation. Having a spyware program for some company load at startup and monitor what processes are running and sending god knows what data to GOG or whoever doesn't sound like convenience, at least not my convenience.

Might as well just use Steam in that case :M.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
You can disable GOG Galaxy on startup, sooooo. I only ever use it for installations because it's more convenient to directly install games from there, rather than download the installer and the data files first and then manually install it. I also find the Galaxy downloader has a more stable download rate. It's not like Steam at all, you don't need to have Galaxy open to play games or "check their authenticity". It is creepy if it sends whatever data to whoever, though.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Speaking about Lidless Gaze (it causes you being Terrified, high resolve doesn't help much). Perhaps I am stupid, but what the best way to protect your party from this shit?
Also additional question which grimoire bet for battle-mage (fighter (unbroken)/wizard)?

The +1 cast/level one, don't think any of the unique spells are worth it. Maybe Arkemyr's invisibility or Shadowflame, but the latter is better on backline since the casting time got nerfed.

Thank you very much for answer, although I didn't find any grimoire on +1 cast per level, if ofc I understood your answer correctly. Well maybe I will find it later.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Tiny review (didn't play it, watched some playthroughs and read the threads here):

- It looks very nice.
- It is quite different and interesting, at the start.
- You still don't know what happens during combat, except that it is hard to lose.
- You don't need to click the timed MMO abilities for the whole party anymore, all the time, except on POTD after the patch.
- It still doesn't matter what choices you make in builds and dialog.
- It reads like fan fiction.
- Itemization was cool (if bland) until the patch.
- Expensive for what you get.

Recommendation: wait for 75% off or play better games.
2bhuna.jpg

2house2fly

Magister
Tiny review (didn't play it, watched some playthroughs and read the threads here):

- It looks very nice.
- You still don't know what happens during combat, except that it is hard to lose.
- You don't need to click the timed MMO abilities for the whole party anymore, all the time, except on POTD after the patch.

2bhuna.jpg
Let's Plays are probably a better source than message board posts since you can see the game in action directly, though if course watching it instead of playing still means youre in no position to form an opinion

Parabalus

Arcane
Speaking about Lidless Gaze (it causes you being Terrified, high resolve doesn't help much). Perhaps I am stupid, but what the best way to protect your party from this shit?
Also additional question which grimoire bet for battle-mage (fighter (unbroken)/wizard)?

The +1 cast/level one, don't think any of the unique spells are worth it. Maybe Arkemyr's invisibility or Shadowflame, but the latter is better on backline since the casting time got nerfed.

Thank you very much for answer, although I didn't find any grimoire on +1 cast per level, if ofc I understood your answer correctly. Well maybe I will find it later.

It's available very early on, probably the first unique one you can get.

Arkemyr's shop.

I hear comments about POE 2 being more SJW leaning?

What does this mean exactly? How do you define something as SJW leaning?

(Alpha Females + Beta Males) - (Alpha Males + Beta Females), if >0 scream SJW at the top of your lungs.

:happytrollboy:

Tigranes

Arcane

- It looks very nice.

Thanks, but if I wanted to read a review written by someone who has not played the game, I would simply go to Polygon

Ah, you want me to spend money or pirate it first? I do it like this to see if I would be wasting my time in the first place. And I'm pretty sure I would.

I read the threads here to sample the enjoyment or frustration.

When you have nothing to say, be silent.

Ulfhednar

Savant
They need to get Veteran and POTD in a good place before they start tinkering with things.

How are they going to do that without tinkering with things? Balacing is tinkering with things.
If tinkering item statistics = fine adjustment knob, and encounter balance pass for Veteran and PotD = course adjustment knob, all that I'm saying is that I think they should try turning the course knob before they focus on the fine knob.

Prime Junta

If tinkering item statistics = fine adjustment knob, and encounter balance pass for Veteran and PotD = course adjustment knob, all that I'm saying is that I think they should try turning the course knob before they focus on the fine knob.

Why the distinction?

Prime Junta

Either way it means fuck all, now you just wont notice as much of a difference between having the item on and not having it, which destroys itemization.

Okay, so item stats mean nothing, but nerfing them from +2 to +1 ruined them. Gotcha. :salute:

Lhynn

Arcane
A 50% reduction in anything is a fairly large reduction. If a small +2 meant little, a +1 means almost nothing.

Yeah i get your point, if you add 4 items with a very little bonus it becomes sizeable, but thats the point. If you are going to make them irrelevant, you might as well just reduce the number of gear slots and increase the items effects.

Dumb to have 10 slots where you get a 3% when you could have 1 slot with a 30% that would make an actual difference in gameplay. Not that i expect you to understand this shit.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Writing that pushes inclusiveness, diversity, Bioware style gay romances etc...

Sure, I get the gist of it, but not the specifics. How does one push inclusiveness and diversity? What is the difference between acceptable gay romances and Bioware style ones?

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
+2 to a base stat is a serious bonus. Do you even know what base stats do? Get a few items with stacking +2 bonuses or even +1 bonuses and you can achieve the holy grail of IE roleplaying through stats - 6x18

You know what should be nerfed - the pets. The starting seagull pet gives everyone +1 Perception just like that. It's like getting five items which each give +1 perception and equipping one on each party member, only with the bonus that all party members' slots remain free. You get +1 perception to everybody out of thin air.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It doesn't matter whether they nerf the party or buff the enemy, the relative values are the same. The advantage of nerfing the party is removal of excess big number bloat, which I'm all for. It allows for more comfortable number crunching and calculations.
There is huge difference! Who would you ratter be,a peasant using a shiny sword that is useful as branch killing some generic enemy for 5 minutes or a shiny knight with powerful weapons fighting a hard battle?

AwesomeButton

Patron
It's a lot more work to buff enemies across the board. Nerfing abilities nerfs them for both enemies and players, in the majority of cases. Or at least that's how it should be done, or you will end up with a mess where you can't remember which version of the same ability you nerfed and which not.

Lacrymas

Arcane
There is huge difference! Who would you ratter be,a peasant using a shiny sword that is useful as branch killing some generic enemy for 5 minutes or a shiny knight with powerful weapons fighting a hard battle?

The relative values between your stats and the enemies' stats are the same either way, so this is irrelevant. Doing 10 damage against 20 HP and doing 5 damage against 10 HP is the same thing. How exactly do you feel like a shiny knight with powerful weapons?

Ulfhednar

Savant

Why the distinction?
Because I think if you removed all the special items from the game and just played with standard gear, it would still be pretty easy after hitting the level 10-12 threshold. You might move the threshold to say level 12-14, but it would still be there.

IMHO, they would have an easier time moving that threshold by focusing on encounter balance vs a party with standard gear.

Put the special items back into the equation only after you have raised the base difficulty of the game, and then bring out the nerf bat if needed.

Parabalus

Arcane

The relative values between your stats and the enemies' stats are the same either way, so this is irrelevant. Doing 10 damage against 20 HP and doing 5 damage against 10 HP is the same thing. How exactly do you feel like a shiny knight with powerful weapons?

That's the entire process of progression in games though, you get more powerful, enemies get more powerful - relative difficulty (should) stays similar.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom