Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How do you normally come up with character names?

Unwanted

Bladeract

It's Neckbeard Shitlord. Again.
Dumbfuck
Start from the sumerian and work from there

edit: eystabber method in action - kalgohf

Cael

Arcane
Naming a character to me is practically the Olympics. A name should be lore-friendly, sounds nice, and contributes to the character's identity. Bonus point if it's an MMO RP server where most good names are taken, you guys wouldn't believe the orgasm I get from getting a good one. Uh!
So... getting the mother of all blue balls on a regular basis, then?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Like KJ Parker, I typically steal all my names from late antiquity. Whatever the setting, there’s usually room for something proto Germanic or Latinate. You can’t go wrong with a Fritigern or a Ricimer in a fantasy world, and the late Roman names also work in science fiction—Ammianus Marcellinus or Julius Nepos fit in just fine in the future.

Sometimes I’ll throw in a Glen Cook style name, although I find Steven Erikson has a better handle on those: Tattersail, Deadsmell, Kisswhere.

Last edited:

Citizen

I look around in my room, i pick 3 random objects and put together the firts syllables of them :)
A seat, a tin can and a duck toy is going to make for an interesting name...

'Seti Caduto'? Too indian/east asian sounding for your typical western medieval RPG, but would be okay for some cyberpunk futurstic setting, dominated by asians.

LoL. The thing is that I´m spanish and those 3 objects in spanish are"silla, lata, pato de goma"

'Sila Pago'? Lame. Nice idea with translation, though. For me it would be 'Stuzhe Baigut'.

Cael

Arcane
I look around in my room, i pick 3 random objects and put together the firts syllables of them :)

'Seti Caduto'? Too indian/east asian sounding for your typical western medieval RPG, but would be okay for some cyberpunk futurstic setting, dominated by asians.

LoL. The thing is that I´m spanish and those 3 objects in spanish are"silla, lata, pato de goma"

'Sila Pago'? Lame. Nice idea with translation, though. For me it would be 'Stuzhe Baigut'.
Dude, first syllable only.

Seat+Tin+Duck. Say it out loud.

Citizen

Dude, first syllable only.

Seat+Tin+Duck. Say it out loud.

I got it, just thought that 'Seti Caduto' sounds like a real name. Caduto is, probably, something italian, and Seti is a legit name from indian mythology.

Cael

Arcane
I got it, just thought that 'Seti Caduto' sounds like a real name. Caduto is, probably, something italian, and Seti is a legit name from indian mythology.
I think that might be Sati? Siti is also a real name.

Caduto sounds like a weapon, not a person's name. So, maybe a nickname or a byname?

Citizen

I think that might be Sati? Siti is also a real name.

Caduto sounds like a weapon, not a person's name. So, maybe a nickname or a byname?

Yes, you're right, it's actually Sati. But a quick search showed that there was Seti the egyptian pharaoh. And why do you think caduto is a weapon? A dictionary states that it's 'fallen' in latin/italian.

newtmonkey

Arcane
I usually name two characters after me and my wife, give one character my wife's nickname, and then use nonsense names for the other characters (I always try to have two wizards named Bongo1 and Bongo2).

Ocelot

Learned
Naming a character to me is practically the Olympics. A name should be lore-friendly, sounds nice, and contributes to the character's identity. Bonus point if it's an MMO RP server where most good names are taken, you guys wouldn't believe the orgasm I get from getting a good one. Uh!

Ok let's test your skills

A green female twi'lek that just escaped her oppressive homeworld by stealing a ship. She has autism, is ugly and weird but she is very strong and intelligent. She also managed to get her pet, which is a small porg that's missing a leg.

Give a good name for the porg.

Citizen

A green female twi'lek that just escaped her oppressive homeworld by stealing a ship. She has autism, is ugly and weird but she is very strong and intelligent. She also managed to get her pet, which is a small porg that's missing a leg.

Porgmeat

Cael

Arcane

Porgmeat
Porggo of the Jungle!

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Hopscotch.

Santander02

Arcane
Anagrams of either my name (I've come up with like 5 variatons of it) or people I know or heard of, add/remove letters as necesary to make it sound better and presto! Make Way for Murp Ladno! Blackguard of Bane!

Last edited:

Citizen

Anagrams of either my name (I've come up with like 5 variatons of it) or people I know or heard of. Make Way for Murpt Ladnod! Blackguard of Bane!

Your name is Landdo Trump?

220px-Lando6-2.jpg
+
Donald-Trump-1.png
= ?

What are other 4 variations? "Damn Turd Pol"?

Bigg Boss

Arcane

Ocelot.

Orbito Sol

Literate

Lito. :shittydog:

Unwanted

Bladeract

It's Neckbeard Shitlord. Again.
Dumbfuck

Those sure are some fancy trousers, Calvin. I shall call you Trouser Snake.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom