Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Golden Era vs Rennaissance (late 90s/early 00s) [POLL]

Which era have the best rpgs?

• Golden Era

Votes: 29 38.2%
  • Rennaissance (by Lilura)

Votes: 47 61.8%

• Total voters

Atlet

Arcane
Vatnik
Why not, right?

Which era is the best for RPGs? The golden one (1985/1995) or the late 90s/early 00s? You decide.

Wizardry, MM, Ultima, Gold Box, Darklands, krondor...

Fallout, Arcanum, PST, Baldurs Gate, Morrowind, Deus Ex...

The best computer games ever made are here. Both eras were great, and we still play and talk about them. But since we love lists and polls, we need to make this hard decision. Best of luck.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Ren by far and quite frankly it's not even close. Fallout alone dwarfs every single golden age game put together.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
My blog readership is obviously biased, but here are the results of my poll:

poll.jpg

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Incidentally, here are the final results for 1996-2010 poll:

about%2B4100%2Bvotes.jpg

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So Lilura gets credit for the "Rennaissance" now?
I used it years before her, and others used it before me.

And how many of the voters, both here and on Lilura's blog, have played games from both eras? I wouldn't be surprised if a large part of those 91% have never played a game older than Fallout or Baldur's Gate.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath

With what reasoning? Honestly curious.

I thought its established terminology that Renaissance era refers to the new era, roughly beginning 2012, I suppose. Journos, devs and many Codexians use it like that. I never seen it used like it is here here until a few days ago.

Trashos

Arcane
Won't vote, because I am not very experienced with Golden Era games. But, generally speaking, it is usually obvious where the peak is. It is right before the great decline.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

With what reasoning? Honestly curious.

Because we had a Golden Age from about 1985 to 1993, then Dark Ages from 1994 to 1996. So it's natural to refer to the new era spearheaded by Fallout and later Baldur's Gate as the Rennaissance.
Searching for the first time I used the term, the oldest result was on June 27, 2013, in a reply to Name who used the term in that way. Since then I used it often myself.

I thought its established terminology that Renaissance era refers to the new era, roughly beginning 2012, I suppose. Journos, devs and many Codexians use it like that. I never seen it used like it is here here until a few days ago.

I thought it was refered to as "The Incline".

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Poll is missing the Decline era, pretty sure all the Fallout 3 and Oblivion fanboys want their choices heard as well

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Dark Ages / Steep Decline began with Kickstarter Renaissance aka neo-Renaissance.

That's why my blog stops at 2010 (because Warband must be included in its treatment range).

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Dark Ages from 1994 to 1996

Mh, okay, but I don't really think two years counts as a whole era and consequently what followed as a Renaissance. Two years is a pretty seamless transition, the real Dark Ages (or Decline Era?) was a whole decade.
It's more of an economical dark age, as 16-bit consoles, FMV and Doom-clones became all the rage and RPGs had this image of being out-dated and slow. They were still being made, but it wasn't until Diablo and Baldur's Gate that RPGs were elevated to million-sellers.

I mean, even in 1995 we had games like Albion, Anvil of Dawn, Stonekeep, Mordor, Exile 1 and Ravenloft: Stone Prophet... not the best RPG year ever, but by far a healthier scenario than the late 2000s.

Falksi

Arcane
Honourable mention for 2013 - Dark Souls, Deaus Ex: HR, The Witcher 2, The Last Story, Disgaea 4, Avernum EFTP revamp, Marvel Vs Capcom 3, ABBA: You can dance

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
behold the powers of social media

My blog isn't really social; not in the current sense. Also, barely any of my traffic comes from the "Twittersphere" and suchlike.

you're p. active with your followers (how are those saps even called lolol), which you probably wouldn't do on other media.

Kitchen psychology/ 10

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom