Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thirty Year Anniversary: Pool of Radiance

Dorateen

Arcane
In June of 1988, was released one of the most important and influential computer role-playing games in the history of the hobby, SSI's Pool of Radiance. While Wizardry had given us unparalleled maze-like dungeon design, and Might & Magic delivered breathtaking overworld exploration, it was Pool of Radiance that brought to the platform top down tactical combat using the official Advanced Dungeons & Dragons rule-set. This, against the adventure backdrop of drawing players into the Moonsea region of the Forgotten Realms setting.

vKGmFB6.jpg

When people talk about the lineage of computer role-playing games and their pen and paper heritage, Pool of Radiance is emblematic of this principle. One needs no further evidence than to examine the hardbound AD&D table top resources such as the Monster Manual, where the game's artwork faithfully reproduced those images for the encounter events. It was the aspiration of the computer adaptation to accurately represent details governing every aspect of gameplay including spell-casting, hours needed for rest and recovery, level advancement tables, and even how experience was awarded through treasures found. Playing along Pool of Radiance with the table top rulebooks close at hand would be conceivable and not at all out of place.

UFhqoJX.jpg

However, Pool of Radiance was more than an AD&D combat simulation, much more. Exploring the city locations and dungeon environments of the game world was accomplished in a first person perspective, with the hallmarks of classic level construction that include illusory walls, secret passages, and teleportation puzzles. Once venturing into the outdoors, the player is presented with overland maps of multiple wilderness areas packed with monster lairs and random encounters. Throughout the unfolding nonlinear progression, reference is made to the Adventurers Journal, which shipped with the game, for much of the story's exposition text and interaction with NPCs, as well as numerous tavern rumors that can be overheard. The journal itself opens with pages of lore: "A Discourse on This Area and its Problems" written by Jeff Grubb, recording the history of the Dalelands, the Flight of the Dragons, and events concerning the city of Phlan. Complementing the open-ended design of the game, encounters are approached with a variety of choices to resolve them, and most missions have alternate solutions available to the player.

C2DuUS4.jpg

The lasting testimony of Pool of Radiance is the prolific series of Gold Box titles that it launched, taking the game to other Advanced Dungeons & Dragons settings such as Dragonlance or the Savage Frontier. There were an additional two Gold Box volumes tailored for science fiction developed under the Buck Rogers universe. The engine itself would be made available as a construction kit for user-made modules in the Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures release. Predating Neverwinter Nights (a name the Gold Box line also was the first to use for its AOL multiplayer version) by almost ten years. Beyond these innovative projects, SSI would find further recognition with the AD&D license eventually branching out to Dark Sun and Ravenloft and Eye of the Beholder series.

In an age of charlatan developers and action orientated titles masquerading as role-playing games, let us instead hail this towering mountain of the genre: the original Pool of Radiance.

ogyG34W.jpg

LordofSyn

Scholar
Thank you for putting this up. I played PoR ravenously when it launched. Had a great little Tandy PC that ran it very well.
Later, got a copy on the Sega Genesis because why not.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

LordofSyn

Scholar
Genesis, are you sure?
My apologies for mistyping and mis-remembering. It might have been EotB on Genesis. I know it was one of them, but for some reason it felt like it was good ole PoR. Thank you for making me check back on it.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played PoR for the first time about two years ago, with the GoldBox Companion UI overlay, and it was a lot of fun. Even 30 years later, playing it for the first time ever is a fun experience.
The graphics might be very archaic and the interface cumbersome, but with the GBC interface overlay it plays really well, and you get used to the graphics quickly.

The combat is tons of fun, as is the exploration, and it has a bunch of cool non-combat encounters too.

Great game, must play for any RPG fan.

The Old Kiwi

Educated
When PoR was released, I didn't have a working platform for those systems it was available for. I played the one called "Curse of the Azure Bonds" first from among the SSI Gold Box games, and got PoR when it was eventually released for MS-DOS on the Intel 16-bit systems. The thing I recall best was a cavern in which an entire tribe of Kobold fighters had gathered, and my party had to kill 200 of the critters!

CotAB had been harder, and seemed much better, but I enjoyed PoR in spite of the comparison.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
I always liked POR when I was a kid but I found it a bit dated compared to ultimas and dark sun among a few others.

Sadly all the other goldbox games I played as a kid were way worse then POR despite the fact they had the same engine and came after.

Old Hans

Arcane
There was an NES port.

I remember playing this back then. I booted it up recently and I did not remember fighting 36 orcs in a hallway at level 1. Talk about hack-and-slash
for some reason a full party forces every random encounter to have a crazy amount of enemies. If you are 1 short, it becomes a hell of a lot more manageable and less tedious

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
The Grand Daddy of party-based taxticalnturn based combat. It is still excellent today.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
I've always had an itch to play this. But oh god, the grind. And identifying every single item, and then resting to identify more. Plus the class and level restrictions in the rules.

Maybe I'll play it someday and not plan on exporting the party so some character combinations may make sense, like Dwarf Fighter.

almondblight

Arcane
I played it a few years ago and thought it was...OK. Yeah, getting a bunch of adventurers and going out to do some classical quests with turn based DnD combat can be fun, and the game throws some interesting stuff at you as you explore. But there were a lot of weak spots - tons of trash mobs (as soon as you step foot in the slums, you get attacked by like 10-15 groups of trash mobs), having to re-select every spell for every magic user each time you rested got annoying, juggling inventory and redistributing money (because money has actual weight) after each fight so you wouldn't get weighed down got old, the first person perspective was poorly done (the vast majority of the time you're looking at a whole lot of nothing), the map design was weak in a lot of areas (copying and pasting the same three shops over and over and giving them all the same door sprites was idiotic), the puzzles weren't particularly interesting ("You find a note that tells you how to navigate the maze we're going to put you in 20 hours from now"...eh..OK), etc.

I can see why people would like the game, but the fact that it's numerous faults are almost never mentioned makes me wonder how many people are actually giving it an honest look

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I remember playing this back then. I booted it up recently and I did not remember fighting 36 orcs in a hallway at level 1. Talk about hack-and-slash
I don't suppose you had taken advantage of the game allowing you to modify your PCs' ability scores by setting them to an absurdly high average? :M

octavius

Arcane
Patron
And identifying every single item, and then resting to identify more.

Huh? You go to shops and temples to ID items. The only thing you can do in the field is to cast Detect Magic, but with some experience you'll be able to deduce which items are magical.

Plus the class and level restrictions in the rules.

I found the restrictions not in the manual to be most annoying.
The PoR manual does not indicate that only Thieves or Fighter/Thieves are the only viable demi-humans in the long run.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
And identifying every single item, and then resting to identify more.

Huh? You go to shops and temples to ID items. The only thing you can do in the field is to cast Detect Magic, but with some experience you'll be able to deduce which items are magical.

or detect magic, yes. From what I read there are some +1 weapons in innocuous looking fights though. But maybe that's just a concern if you're a hellbent completionist, which I'm not anymore.

Plus the class and level restrictions in the rules.

I found the restrictions not in the manual to be most annoying.
The PoR manual does not indicate that only Thieves or Fighter/Thieves are the only viable demi-humans in the long run.

yeah, I think you can only gather that reading the other manuals in the series. Bit of a shame with that limitation, really. Also females can never have exceptional strength I think? Then again, probably not that dramatic if you don't cheat up your stats. Then again again, I've heard people say Goldbox games got harder if you cheated up your stats (or if your stats total was too high, whatever).

Too many dilemmas for my autist brain to even get started

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The issue of female strength is not really an issue when you have items like Gauntlets of Ogre Power and Girdle of Giant Strength, not to mention the awesome Enlarge spell. STR is not nearly as important as CON and especially DEX (and INT and WIS for Mages and Clerics respectively, of course).

In PoR the encounters are indeed scaled to the power (not level) of your party.

I actually played Curse of the Azure Bonds before I ever got around to PoR, but even so, I have very fond memories of those early Goldbox titles. It's hard to put my finger on what exactly made computer games so exciting and engaging to me when I was that age (I certainly don't hold that same enthusiasm or optimism for them as an adult), but back then it just seemed like I was lucky enough to be born at the birth of a new and beautiful thing. I got to witness computer games go from EGA Sierra Adventures to Goldbox to World of Xeen to UU to Tie Fighter, all in the span of a scant decade and it just seemed as though the creativity on display in this medium would never end or kowtow to outside demands; Infinite Dungeons to explore and Unlimited Adventures to experience (because what madmen would ever mess with such a perfect formula?!).

And now I am old, and all I can do is miss the feeling of having loved something so dearly and knowing that it died so young. :negative:

Happy Birthday Goldbox.

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
The areas had a fixed number of random encounters. Not sure what the trash mob complaint is about.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom