Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Let's settle this once and for all: Jagged Alliance 2

Is JA2 an RPG?

• Total voters

The Great ThunThun*

How DARE you!?
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Is it an RPG?

I personally think it's one of the best ones ever made. You have your own char with stats and other chars who also have stats. This makes it an RPG in my book.

But, it's strength is the tactical gameplay which works regardless of the RPG elements (but not despite).

What do you think?

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
it's a strategy game. Can't even call it strictly squad based tactics with its layer of resource management.

Characters have faces and names and stats though so autists will call it an RPG.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I spent 99% of the time playing it as an RPG. The Strategy part (who/what do I spend money on, where do we attack, Militia training) is quite straightforward, but the distribution a of items, assembling of teams, and tactical combat is very time consuming if you try to play optimally.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Is it an RPG?

I personally think it's one of the best ones ever made. You have your own char with stats and other chars who also have stats. This makes it an RPG in my book.

But, it's strength is the tactical gameplay which works regardless of the RPG elements (but not despite).

What do you think?
If you're going to claim that Jagged Alliance 2 is an RPG, then at least cite the exploration-related aspects of the game, which it does possess in substantial amount, as this would more clearly differentiate it from being a squad-based tactics game with a strategic overlay. Without the exploration, JA2 is much the same as X-Com, another squad-based tactics game with a strategic overlay that no-one should confuse with being an RPG. The character stats/progression are at most an argument for assigning JA2 to the "SRPG" genre, which would have been more accurately called TRPGs and which are closer to squad-based tactics games than to RPGs.

Jason Liang

Arcane
It's mostly a squad tactics game with a hybrid of strategy and adventure. It doesn't have enough exploration outside of combat to be considered an rpg. The combat itself is presented as a tactical game, with a large, complicated battlefield and enemies hidden outside visibiity range. While Pool of Radiance (and its modern equivalent, Temple of Elemental Evil), has similar battle presentation, it's still simplified, streamlined and abstracted compared to JA2.

Last edited:

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
It is quite literally what it says on the tin:
latest

passerby

Arcane
More of an rpg, than a majority of games on the codex top70 list.

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
HOMM3 also doesn't have the words "A ROLE-PLAYING STRATEGY GAME" on the front of the box. :M
At that point it's just semantics. What makes JA2 an RPG when HoMM3 (or even more complicated, HoMM 4) is not?

HoMM3 is not even the best comparison. I thought of one the other day but now it slips my mind.

JA2 is also very similar to Shadow Sorcerer, and Shadow Sorcerer is also not an RPG.

608851-939082_86645_front_1_.jpg

shadow_sorcerer_d7_2.jpg

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
JA2 is so good that "RPG" is an insult.

Lilura1: Commentary & Criticism on the original and authoritative incarnations of Renaissance-era Role-playing games.

Hmm....

HoMM3 is also not a RPG.

In HoMM 3 the RPG parts are very straightforward. Relatively few items, only one of two choices when leveling up, and only one hero per army.
And you move armies around the map instead of squads of heroes.
So not a very good comparioson.

The Age of Wonders are more comparable, since they have a stronger RPG part, with more detailed Heroes.
Funnily enough a Strategy game has better tactical combat than 99% of RPGs.

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Is Fallout Tactics a RPG guuuuyyyys?

Is Final Fantasy Tactics a RPG guuuuyyys?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom