Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community The New World Design Poll #2: RNG

Shadenuat

Arcane
Maybe add some gaming the system as perks abilities and upgrades.

Lucky shot: gain massive % based bonus to hit and critical chance, but it's like X-com and capped at 95%, so can still miss
Aiming shots: as long as you target same enemy and (maybe) he holds position, every next shot improves chance to hit up to 100%, with averages in favor of the player
Spray and pray: character makes 3 shots at short range instead of one with lower accuracy and damage, so he rolls 3 dice instead of 1 - more dice = better averages.

As for "all dudes in position enemy is blinded stunned flanked... miss miss miss" maybe allow 100% chance to hit, really. Like some effects scrapping enemies' dodge chance completely.

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Update:

1) We'll make limiting consecutive misses optional. It seems to be the best way to handle it. This limit will apply to enemies as well, so it won't make the game easier.

2) What's left to determine is whether or not your THC is merely a roll modifier or does 80% THC actually guarantee you that you'll hit 8 out of 10 or 16 out of 20 or 24 out of 30.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Update:
1) We'll make limiting consecutive misses optional. It seems to be the best way to handle it. This limit will apply to enemies as well, so it won't make the game easier.
That's awesome in my opinion, ability to choose options is always awesome.

2) What's left to determine is whether or not your THC is merely a roll modifier or does 80% THC actually guarantee you that you'll hit 8 out of 10 or 16 out of 20 or 24 out of 30.
Now that's a hard question, I can't even say it right now.

Answer to Felix:
As much as I can understand, it's about appealing to more popamole audience which is increasingly more and more stupid with time, as society degrades.
And you patient 0 of this "virus of stupidity" which make you think that you somehow superior to other people only because your gaming tastes and you pick every "chance" to prove yourself "smart and hardcore gamer" while sucking your own cock. The only place where society is degrade since october 1917 it's your country, mr Vatnik.
*grabs popcorn while while waiting for pseudo-patriotic hysteria*

trais

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Update:

Good decision.

Easiest solution is usually the best one, especially when coding and debugging is involved.

I thought some more about the problem of long miss-steaks and I've found two ideas that could work without being insulting to player's intelligence.

First one comes from my experience in boxing. I've noticed that the longer I spar with same opponent, the easier it gets to hit him. It's because after while, I can see what his favorite/most used blocks and dodges are, and can adjust my punches or combos accordingly. So to translate it to numbers:
after miss, you add e.g. quarter of previous THC to the next roll. So after you've missed 70% shot, next one will be displaying 70+17=87%. If you still miss that, 87+22=109 or 100%, making it a guaranteed hit.

Simple to code, simple to debug, somewhat realistic, doesn't hide anything from the player.

Second one is what I wrote earlier: reward players for enduring bad luck. It could work like this: it triggers when your character reach some level of "improbable" bad luck, either as a single event or a series of mishaps. Let's say this level is 3% probability. So missing 3 times in a row of 70% THC - 30%^3 = 2,7% would trigger, as would missing singe 97% THC shot.

When such thing happens player's character can be rewarded with some minor, but permanent buff. E.g. flat +1% THC to every attack roll, or flat +1% to dodge or some XP or equivalent. Minor enough not to completely imbalance the game, but something tangible to sugarcoat the bitter pill. You can call it "whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger" buff.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I hope I will have something definite to add later, but just to fuel the discussion let me mention the following quote from de Finetti, given in https://www.jstor.org/stable/2683902?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents :

Perhaps long-run calibration is an additional empirical requirement of a good appraiser. de Finetti explicitly addressed this situation in his discussion of "Frequency and 'Wisdom After the Event'" (1974, sec. 5.9). He insisted that observed differences between frequencies and assessed probabilities cannot be conceived as critical of the validity of subjective assessments, for the assessments are merely representative of the assessor's uncertainty at the time that they are specified.​

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Yea I'm probably leaning more towards not having a THC system at all, because it is quite silly in terms of combat, it renders it very shallow imo, because it gets to dictate combat depth and strategy.

THC system can look silly at best in melee combat.
While for ranged combat where you have some point - a shooter - and a vector outgoing from that point that should cross with another point - this feel absolutely natural and not silly at all.
Maybe we need combined system where we have no-THC system for melee and THC-based fro ranged, dunno.

If you don't give people the option to mitigate missing a shot at 95 % THC with every combat specialization

People can do that themself with old grandpa's methods.

make you think that you somehow superior to other people

What make me think that I'm superior to some other people is I'm really superior in certain respects, and that's not a virus, that's a brain.
I was upset too when I missed like that in game - but I have brain and reflection, you know called emotional intellect.
So I'm aware that such cases is a part of the game, and these emotions are actually irrational.
With same success you can curse the rain and wind, or your ass because you need to wipe it every time you shitting.

LordWildMan

Novice
I think it has been brought up here, but you could use pseudorandom chance, like DOTA or other multiplayer games. If you have 70% chance to hit, and you miss the first attack, the second attack actually has a higher % chance to hit than 70%. This increases the more misses there are in a row; the same for hits. This results not only in a resulting population distribution that is what the player expects, but also if you look at a very small consecutive sample size, say 4 attacks, that very small consecutive sample size has a distribution that is comparable to the population.

Niektory

one of some
Patron
Vault Dwalber,
why is the deck size in AOD 100 numbers long? Why use a deck if its inconsequential? This makes no sense...
IIRC there are 10 "cards". Each of them represents 10% of the full roll range (1-100):
Card 1: Rolls between 1 and 10
Card 2: Rolls between 11 and 20
Card 3: Rolls between 21 and 30
and so on. So if you roll 24 for example, you can't roll the numbers between 21 and 30 again until the "deck" reshuffles, which happens after 10 rolls.

Anyway, under this system, it might be more fitting not to call it "To Hit Chance", but rather "Hit Frequency" (because it reduces the chance aspect to achieve a desired frequency of hits).

Shadenuat

Arcane
One other funny thing you can make to turn bad thing into positive is to make npc/companion react to RNG.
Companion missed 3 times in a row "what the fuck is going on with this garbage rifle"

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
It was good to see there are options on how to actually improve this part of mechanics. Ive no special interest in New World but the issue interests me by itself.

To me, its not about missing, even at higher probabilities, but that the current system produces or tends to produce lousy distorted results too often. If im preaching about evolution and improvement of rpg mechanics, then this is one example of it. There are also interesting things to consider about how probabilities work in reality.

:updatedmytxt: for future references.

Latelistener

Arcane
Why not just increase chances to hit with each consecutive miss?
I heard Hard West is using somewhat similar system: you gain Luck when you get hit and lose it when you evade.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
If you end up going the guarantee route, please add an option to switch to roll-mode. Just add a slider. It doesn't actually need to do anything, I'd appreciate it anyway :shittydog:

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
One other funny thing you can make to turn bad thing into positive is to make npc/companion react to RNG.
Companion missed 3 times in a row "what the fuck is going on with this garbage rifle"

VD this really must make it in

Lurker47

Savant

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
I'd just like to see more combat systems in RPG's experiment with a complete lack of RNG.
There's this one tactical TBS game (classes, no stats)
250px-ChessSet.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom