Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Avellone, Ziets, Sawyer, Vincke and Kurvitz on the future of RPGs at Kotaku UK and PC Gamer

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Underrail's new exp system was quite innovative

It also clicks, invites different playstyles, provides entertainment and forces a nice flow. Innovation is one thing, absolutely nailing said innovation is :bro:
The only tiny gripe I have with it is enemies dropping oddities you have already maxed out, but that's really just a nothingburger.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
From the mid-80s to the early 90s, Origin Systems developed Auto Duel, 2400 A.D., Space Rogue, Savage Empire, and Martian Dreams. SSI developed two Buck Rogers, Roadwar 2000, Star Command, Spelljammer, Al-Qadim, two Dark Sun games, and two Ravenloft games, and Alien Logic. What are the major developers you're thinking of today that are exploring that variety of settings?
The problem is that today a major developer is a company that makes few AAA games, while in the 80s & most of the 90s they were just companies that made a lot of "normal" games. And since they were cheaper, they could take risks.

For comparison, it would be like BioWare putting out Jade Empire, Mass Effect, Sonic Chronicles and Dragon Age in the same year, then the next year doing Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age 2 and two totally new weird games.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
By the way I will argue that rolling a character from scratch leads to minimaxing munchkinism, hence players acting out of character or as bona fide psychopaths.

begin.jpg

But you can build the nameless one in the sense that he can have different stats and skills. What you can’t do is to give him a different background.

So, get ready, I am gonna say it, having a predefined character from the beginning is more conductive to rolepaying than the alternative.
It can be an interesting choice if you tie the game world to the predefined character, but it also constraint your choices. In AoD you have four or five predefined backgrounds that allow you to see the gameworld from multiple perspectives, thus opening and closing new paths, etc.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

(Re: deathclaws, the funny thing is that Fallout 1 arguably did that to itself within the same game with the deathclaw nest in the Boneyard. From mysterious desert ghost to side quest fodder.)

That's why I mentioned Age of Decadence and Underrail, because those guys did more for the future of RPGs
What is there in those two games which are innovative and push the genre forward? They are great/good old-school RPGs, but they don't bring anything new to the table.
Underrail: Combat system
AoD: Reactivity
Both: Lore and world building
You can produce something original that has value either by combining previous ideas, or by going against the conventional wisdom, or both. Disco Elysium is innovative in his take on stats and skills, but it is really traditional in others (it involves character creation, dialogue trees, etc.).

The problem of most recent cRPGs (PoE, W2, T:ToN) is that they combine previous design elements in a formulaic way. It’s what Felipepepe used to call “checklist design”. In this sense, T:ToN is less traditional than Underrail, Grimoire or Age of Decadence, but paradoxically is also less innovative because it has nothing of value to add.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Come on, really? >_>

I mean, Vince is one thing, he's outspoken and sort of well-known. I could see him being a part of this sort of thing. But this is like "Why are you ignoring this Serbian dude whose only contact with the outside world is a blog post twice a year about his vaporware expansion? Why isn't he MORE FAMOUS???"
He should be more famous though. Because his game is good. It's balanced (currently), has its unique style, and some innovative mechanics. I'd crowd-fund him any time. Even if the game will be actually played by my kids' generation.

Broaden everything. Settings, mechanics, what an RPG means
Absolutely haram!

New setting and expanding the genre is all fine and dandy, easily preached goals, but i would suggest focusing on providing quality games would be much more important.... One of the fundamental features of human nature is to prefer and like anything new, and sometimes or even often that replaces demands for quality.
That’s because there are a lot of misconceptions about the nature of creativity and innovation. If your personal touch to a traditional genre has value, you are being creative. But you can’t have a quality traditional game without a personal touch, that something extra that makes the game stand out instead of being just another carbon copy. In other words, you can’t have “just quality” without creativity.

That was just a gimmick. IMO, the main innovations of Underrail is improving Fallout’s combat to a new level of sophistication, doing stealth gameplay right (not a minor feat) and the excellent crafting.

Last edited:
The last (and only) good game that Ziets had a major involvement in was released more than a decade ago. It's weird that people here still haven't written him off as a one hit wonder.
But muh pedigree.

Quite the opposite - Vincke and the furry guy can talk about the future of RPGs, but not Avellone, Sawyer and Ziets - they haven't had a voice in shaping the future of RPGs for a long time, their last projects were just coasting on nostalgia and slightly updated old mechanics.

That's why I mentioned Age of Decadence and Underrail, because those guys did more for the future of RPGs but still the journos keep ignoring them and keep asking irrelevant people what they think about the direction, velocity and the destination of a train as they watch it leaving the station with a new engine driver, new conductors and passengers.
Perfect.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ziets recalls that early computer RPGs like Wizardry and the original Bard’s Tale essentially ported the most popular editions of their tabletop progenitors like Dungeons and Dragons to the personal computer, eschewing epic tales of sword and sorcery to focus on the tactical guts of the pen-and-paper experience. “Originally, most RPGs were Tolkienesque, monster-slaying fantasies,” Ziets says. “Now we have RPGs set in science-fiction worlds, modern times, etc. Similarly, most early RPGs had some version of D&D stats and skills, but many are now evolving away from strict adherence to those rules.”

To Ziets, this slow expansion beyond the realm of twenty-sided dice and Vancian magic reflects the advance of video games as a medium, in the same way as early television programs like The Twilight Zone resembled theatrical productions more than the elaborate multi-camera setups of later decades. “As the art form evolved, and creators discovered techniques that were unique to television, that gradually moved further and further away from the techniques of theatre,” says Ziet. “TV got better and came into its own because creators learned what worked best for their medium, but in the early days, they had to start with what they knew. I see RPGs in much the same way.”

Ok.

http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2013/07/game-103-ali-baba-and-forty-thieves-1981.html
http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2013/09/game-116-empire-i-world-builders-1981.html
http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2014/04/game-143-expedition-amazon-1983.html
http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2010/07/backtracking-starquest-rescue-at-rigel.html
http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2014/07/game-153-return-of-heracles-1983.html
http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2017/05/game-249-lanneau-de-zengara-1987.html
http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2010/10/game-28-2400-ad-1987.html
http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2010/11/game-30-alien-fires-2199-ad-1987.html

Yes, the early days of CRPGs were definitely just Tolkienesque fantasy based on D&D rules, no original ideas whatsoever, scifi and other settings were only introduced in the modern age.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That was just a gimmick. IMO, the main innovations of Underrail is improving Fallout’s combat to a new level of sophistication, doing stealth gameplay right (not a minor feat) and the excellent crafting.

Games I like = innovation
Actual innovation = gimmick

But of course we've been over this before: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ants-rpg-to-evolve.121468/page-6#post-5576538

Sardonic interpretation: To a true Codexer(tm), most RPGs are so awful that the simple act of making one that manages to be halfway-decent constitutes "innovation".

What is there in those two games which are innovative and push the genre forward? They are great/good old-school RPGs, but they don't bring anything new to the table.
Age of Decadence is innovative in plenty of ways. It punishes the player for instinctively following retarded cRPG tropes, it takes stat and skill governed gameplay to its limits, it avoids filler Fedex quests, etc.

Last edited:
Games I like = innovation
Actual innovation = gimmick.
Did you even read the stuff I posted before about creativity? Do you want a few references on the subject? Of course not. You are too lazy for that. You prefer to post like a superficial retarded because you don't like to think.

I just think that it's a kind of a "medieval people thought the world was flat" bad myth to think that early cRPG developers couldn't imagine deviating from P&P norms.
This progressive narrative is an excuse to throw everything you don't like in the dustbin of history. It is the type of excuse people use to discard turn-based combat. They did this before because they didn't have the techonology, they say. Not really.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I didn't say I liked it, but he tried something new, I've to give him that

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss Creativity is an integral part of quality, especially in game design. You cant improve quality if you are not creative.
What i said is that superficial novelty (especially sequestered only to the stories and settings) shouldn't be considered a goal at expense or preferable to improvements in overall quality (which includes creativity) of all features of the game. Which is what both articles are arguing for or spinning around to a large extent.

W2, TtoN, and PoE stand as glaring examples of this failure to correctly understand this, each in their own way.
DoS was the most successful of the kickstarter RPG revival games precisely because it was innovative and creative in gameplay mechanics and DoS2 owes its success to the first game a lot.

/

Eh, its kinda sad.

Ive read through both articles and its more about AAA mass market games success then RPGs. Which is why there is a dissonance about what types of settings were or are "more popular" or used and explored.
And why both articles spin around the theme of the old enemy of modern mass market, the mechanics, and supposed awesomeness of modern action-rpgs, player agency and supposed C&C.

I kinda understand them because their jobs and living depend on sales, but still... its sad to see them fall for this invented rhetoric of "stagnation" - which will supposedly get solved by novelty in settings and storytelling.
But not gameplay.

Chris Avellone
Witcher 3 did good in its story and quest designs, - for an action RPG built around that specific pre-established character and the setting, but it wasnt really that branching, while its C&C is mostly relatively light except in a few major quests. Its vanilla mechanics are barely tolerable, while the whole setting and the gameplay suffer because of superficial and dumb open world mass market requirements.
There is plenty of space in the whole spectrum of RPGs for such games and more experimentation of how much importance character or player skills have. And a good game is always a good game.
But move too much further in direction of player skills at expense of character skills, and you wont be doing even action-RPGs anymore.

Regardless of the particular definition of the form, as any abiding genre fanatic will attest, most RPGs live or die on the strength of their storytelling.
No, not really. They live and die on how great the gameplay is and how well it is integrated into the storytelling, C&C gaming narrative and quests design and vice-versa.
These features should not be separate in the true RPGs but bleed into, shape and change each other.

The mass market AAA action-rpgs may live and die based on their storytelling, but thats another type of shoes that cannot fit all RPGs, especially not True RPGs based around character abilities.
RPGs as a genre may have "discovered" new techniques to tell the story, but it forgot its core out of which all other features emerge in the form specific for RPGs.
Which was the very reason for the recent crowdfunding revival.

You know, if the mechanics and gameplay systems were evolved instead of removed and dumbed down, maybe the "number crunching" wouldnt still create such paranoias.

Something is creative or innovative when it is original and has value. Let's concede that oddity system is original and focus on its value. The system was designed to avoid encouraging players to grind. Now ask yourself. Does it really do what it was intended to do? It doesn’t, because players will grind all the same, now looking for oddities instead of exp. That’s not just a matter of arbitrary taste. You can debate its intrinsic merits even if you disagree with the design motivations.

DexRiwus

Novice
Future is bright. A lot of RPGs in unique settings are coming out soon and if they succeed more will follow.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Something is creative or innovative when it is original and has value. Let's concede that oddity system is original and focus on its value. The system was designed to avoid encouraging players to grind. Now ask yourself. Does it really do what it was intended to do? It doesn’t, because players will grind all the same, now looking for oddities instead of exp. That’s not just a matter of arbitrary taste. You can debate its intrinsic merits even if you disagree with the design motivations.

Oh, I completely agree. It's intention to avoid boring, repetitive combat by killing combat exp felt like throwing the baby out with the bathtub (or however the saying goes) and did indeed create just another sort of grind, but sometimes I value creators trying new ideas just for the sake of it, even if they don't succeed with what they intended to do or even if their intentions go against the very stuff I like in RPGs (not grinding, but lots of enjoyable combat). I do like novelty for its own sake sometimes

Last edited:
What i said is that superficial novelty (especially sequestered only to the stories and settings) shouldn't be considered a goal at expense or preferable to improvements in overall quality (which includes creativity) of all features of the game. Which is what both articles are arguing for or spinning around to a large extent.
One thing I noticed is that the genre attracts artistic minded people that share prejudiced notions about creativity, the genre and its players. They don’t care about the specificities of gameplay of the genre that require numbers, THC formulas, stats, etc. They want to tell interactive stories. I want C&C in my cRPGs too, even when it is mostly constrained to dialogue boxes in a more passive fashion because they don’t have the resources to make all quests open. But that doesn’t prevent me from also wanting character building to matter in the gameplay (both in combat and dialogue), and I have an impression that these developers are all too eager to throw these important elements in the trashcan as another relic of traditionalist grognards, because they don’t have the STEM inclination that is required to do these things. You can say that doing combat system right requires a form of scientific creativity that most developers lack. The industry needs more designers with a scientific mindset.

I’m in a minority position here because I want both, but the reality is that most developers feel coerced to do both only because of their audience. What they really want is to tell an interactive story. The result is a shallow gameplay whether neither of these aspects are engrossing, because they have no mechanics “meat” behind them.

And why both articles spin around the theme of the old enemy of modern mass market, the mechanics, and supposed awesomeness of modern action-rpgs, player agency and supposed C&C.
Yeah, that’s like trying to understand the lessons classic music should learn from pop music. It’s a silly comparison.

I kinda understand them because their jobs and living depend on sales, but still... its sad to see them fall for this invented rhetoric of "stagnation" - which will supposedly get solved by novelty in settings and storytelling. But not gameplay.
I don’t buy that. Strategy games are more demanding than cRPG’s in the combat aspect and they always sell more. If anything, the focus on the narrative is hurting the sales. Besides, even if that was true, it doesn’t matter because they have a moral imperative to do their job right instead of destroying their own genre with an unsustainable business model, streamlined design and myths about the genre. When Tim Cain is saying that Fallout is too complicated because he is motivated to sell more units he is literally trying to kill the genre and destroying his own legacy in the process. It’s imoral and corrupt. They should feel bad about themselves.

If anything is a gimmick, it's this, and it works only the first time. It's still appreciated though.
It is. I like creative people trying new things to improve the genre. It is refreshing. I always use oddity system by the way. The oddities have those little stories in them. I always read the new ones. What it boggles the mind is how people tend to ignore how many things Styg improved in Underrail. The stealh gameplay is amazing. When did we have something like this in a proper cRPG?

Raapys

Arcane
Was that the only design goal? I don't know, but I do know it manages to achieve something else, intended or not. With a regular xp system, the level up experience becomes predictable and linear. "Oh, I've gotten 50% experience in the last two hours. Two more and I get a new level!". The oddity system completely did away with that. You could get a full level in a minute, or it could take hours. But it was certainly much more interesting and unpredictable. I tried playing through the game with the regular xp system once, and the enjoyability of the experience decreased quite a lot.

Read both articles. Complete waste of time. Not one new or interesting thing said.

This is why western RPGs are in such a rut right now. These guys have no idea how to fix or improve things, or they are so afraid to make waves, they keep it to themselves.

Everything they say can be summed up as: "Well, yes, RPGs have had to simplify and dumb down a lot, to cater more to the casuals, and to make more moneys, but, well, maybe we can make it work somehow anyway."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom