Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metroid. WTF?

ColCol

Arcane
Look at all these dead codexers.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
manco made 60 posts in his 2.5 years on the codex. Then in
Hey kiddies, all this nerdrage got me thinking of how magicly mad I was when I learned of the metroid sequal for the GC. It's like, why bother if yer gonna turn it into a fps? There were NO fps elements AT ALL in the nes and snes versions. And it wasn't even developed by NINTENDO! It was made by a NEW COMPANY. Man, you talk about fan outrage and an inpending feeling of doom.
The crazy thing, is somehow Metroid Prime was fun. It retained it's problem solving, the exploration, the mood. It even improved the Morph ball! Metroid Prime, with the odds against it, improved on the franchise.
That said, it seems a hell of a lot easier to make a 3rd person action into a fps action, than a 3rd person rpg, into a fps whatever.
So, I was wondering if any of you is daring to hope that F3 will be good? I can't really wrap my head around it. Morrowind was pretty, but SO DEAD AND EMPTY. The illusion of the world was broken by people seperated by 1400 miles saying the same things.
But then again, I was DEAD SET against a Metroid update, and proved wrong by perhaps the most imersive GC game ever.
So what's up, any of you "daring to dream"?
manco

manco made 60 quality posts like this in his year and a half on the codex. Then in September of 2005 without warning he up and left forever.

Why manco? Are you still alive? Did you make an alt? Why did you have to leave us but posters like Brocken Jr. still remain to necro decades old threads?

funkadelik

Arcane
A realtime 2d scroller action game getting turned into a realtime first person action game isnt that much of a stretch (it worked well for Duke Nukem). The whole Metroid thing is a pretty bad analogy when you think about it. Taking a great turn based isometric roleplaying game and turning it into a free roaming realtime first person action rpg is a bit too radical a change for fans of the series to accept.

Hell, I dont see why anyone is surprised by FO fan reaction to this. On the console side of the fence, I remember all kinds of people in an uproar that they made Link cellshaded in that last Zelda game. I mean, the GAMEPLAY didnt change at all from what I heard. Yet there were legions of fans in a NERDRAGE over some cell shading.
Pretty sure 3d Duke even overshadowed 2d Duke. Mario 64 is like the holy grail of 3d improved over 2d (unfortunately they didn't keep that trend going with Mario). Zelda 64 was a great 3d rendition of an amazing 2d series.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Morrowind was pretty, but SO DEAD AND EMPTY
forgotten truths

manco made 60 posts in his 2.5 years on the codex. Then in
Hey kiddies, all this nerdrage got me thinking of how magicly mad I was when I learned of the metroid sequal for the GC. It's like, why bother if yer gonna turn it into a fps? There were NO fps elements AT ALL in the nes and snes versions. And it wasn't even developed by NINTENDO! It was made by a NEW COMPANY. Man, you talk about fan outrage and an inpending feeling of doom.
The crazy thing, is somehow Metroid Prime was fun. It retained it's problem solving, the exploration, the mood. It even improved the Morph ball! Metroid Prime, with the odds against it, improved on the franchise.
That said, it seems a hell of a lot easier to make a 3rd person action into a fps action, than a 3rd person rpg, into a fps whatever.
So, I was wondering if any of you is daring to hope that F3 will be good? I can't really wrap my head around it. Morrowind was pretty, but SO DEAD AND EMPTY. The illusion of the world was broken by people seperated by 1400 miles saying the same things.
But then again, I was DEAD SET against a Metroid update, and proved wrong by perhaps the most imersive GC game ever.
So what's up, any of you "daring to dream"?
manco

manco made 60 quality posts like this in his year and a half on the codex. Then in September of 2005 without warning he up and left forever.

Why manco? Are you still alive? Did you make an alt? Why did you have to leave us but posters like Brocken Jr. still remain to necro decades old threads?

oldmanpaco... oldman... manco.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom