Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
If you´re not up to changing your avatar, egad, at least change your name to HoboCop!

wyes gull

Savant
Our world doesn’t have a term of endearment, right, because we generally think it’s a shithole. It’s a strange thing that none of the billions of habitats of planet Earth have come up with a term of endearment for the world itself. It’s known as “world”, “Earth”… there’s nothing there.
How wude!
pale_blue_dot3.jpg
And while you're here, don't suppose you're going to release this playable build or some sort of demo?

Last edited:

Master

Arbiter
the general "visible brushstrokes" style of the graphics, sucks.
When you say the style of our graphics (sic!) I would think you´re talking about the art in the game (yes, inside the game. when you play it.) But it seems to me you´re confusing promotional art (in the quotes below) and in-game art (Screenshots and the like. Check Youtube for gameplay snippets and glimpses of the game in the trailers).

possibly to draw easily impressed audiences on account of vibrant colors?
So you´re saying that the promotional art is bad for being good promotional art?

No, not confusing anything since both are in the same style(visible brushstrokes). So, any particular reason for using it, or was it just because?

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Visible brushstrokes happen with painting with paint. Our aesthetics take off from the tradition of good ol’ oil painting. Not accidentally.

Tigranes

Arcane
Because the word "Elysium" has never been used before in video games.

Read the interview. He wants to claim it from the unfortunates who made the mistake of using it before in video games. “It’s a power move.”

Also now he’s on the record for being better than China Miéville. Them’s fightin’ words

Anyone who's written or made creative work knows that you sometimes get super-attached to certain words or concepts and nobody can tell you that it's really not that great. So many great books that authors insisted on completely idiotic names, and other forces prevailed.

As far as such silliness goes, though, it's better to do it in the title than the content, so eh.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Visible brushstrokes happen with painting with paint. Our aesthetics take off from the tradition of good ol’ oil painting. Not accidentally.
Any thematic reason?
Conceptually it helps to highlight the type of setting Disco is set in: Elysium. The game takes place in a highly modern world.

Painting as a medium has a rich and difficult history and the world of Elysium is multilayered and its histories well developed.

So yeah you could say that the “painterly style” helps to underline the themes that’re addressed in DE.

Marat Sar

ZA/UM
Developer
Wait....composure is no more the dance skill!

Yup. Changed in development, for balancing reasons. It's now Savoir Faire, which makes a little more sense too, or at least to me it does. We de-sexed and de-dancified Composure so it would be body language and clothes rack centered. The two are still an excellent combination for ultimate disco-cop.

Prime Junta

I think you've hit a nerve my dudes. I don't remember a new game in a new IP from a new studio getting this much positive coverage like... ever, really.

Now all you have to do Marat Sar is prove that you really are better than China Miéville. Go get him.

GettyImages-105098570.jpg

Prime Junta

Short memory,old guy.

I'll take your word for it. NMS wasn't ever on my radar so I was only vaguely aware of the hype and the subsequent butthurt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom