Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Queen's Wish: The Conqueror - the Jeff Vogel Kickstarter

PrettyDeadman

Plebs can't see past lack of shiny graphics, innovation and effort into the soul of a prestigious crpg.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
FFS, this guy could hire a remote working decent artist for peanuts and have glorious old-school 2D sprites, why settle for this shite?

Dayyālu

Arcane
FFS, this guy could hire a remote working decent artist for peanuts and have glorious old-school 2D sprites, why settle for this shite?

Because he's old. And tired. And he wants you money.

If people are going to reward him for the minimum effort (shit graphics, costantly worsening game mechanics and writing in the last decade) why improve? He did the shittiest kickstarter known to man - a thing that any poster in this thread could have written in ten minutes and some screenshots that make a RPGMaker game look like Crysis - and he got funded.

Why bother with effort, quality or good ideas? Merely throw out something and for some inane reasons he'll get the money. I mean, I would have supported him too if I didn't realized that he didn't make a game I enjoyed for almost a decade and in his free time he loves to lecture his public on how retarded they are.

Also, he's old and tired and he needs your money.

A lot of hypocritical edgy faggots here shitting on vogel. Ha,it is amusing that the guy managed to fund his kickstarter in a day despite the retarded hate here. I see that the people that enjoy older looking games and don't care about graphics are a dying breed even on the codex. Go and enjoy your shiny game,apparently they are making a new fallout for all of you retards.

Should we resurrect the posts on what Vogel thinks about the Codex and "traditional RPG fans"?

We're cancer for him. He loves his paying fans, not the genre. If he gave a shit about the genre he would try to make something new.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
That's what I'm saying, I'm not giving my money so they can be used to buy shitty RPG Maker assets. But I'll gladly give it so someone will do quality fantasy art in the style of the old masters.

Should we resurrect the posts on what Vogel thinks about the Codex and "traditional RPG fans"?
If he doesn't want money, good for him.

he didn't make a game I enjoyed for almost a decade and in his free time he loves to lecture his public on how retarded they are.
rpgcodex.png

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The town/settlement/whatever management stuff could be good. I want to believe.
You know which "RPG" had that feature recently? Fallout 4. And it sucked. I don't want to manage a town in an RPG, I get my Simcity fix elsewhere.

Dayyālu

Arcane
You know, I usually don't do comparison posts or go into autistic rants. It's just that Pope Amole II brofisted one of my autistically angry posts, and it dawned on me. Let us make a comparison.

Be random russkie from the wasteland.
Develop game.
Give indepth videos, art dumps, PR and a good demo to the random fuckers on the Net.

http://download.iratus.org/static/Iratus_Demo_010.zip

Reply to every retarded fuck who asks stuff about you.
Hire Stephan Weyte to do the voiceover. Because they can be shitty russkies, but they care.

Result.

2p8M0p9.jpg

Be Vogel.
Write a ten minutes Kickstarter page.
Don't even bother to add screenshot, demo, or engage anyone 'cause he's a living legend.
"I'm old and tired, can't even get music beyond the starting screen."

Result.

ZJh94YZ.jpg

I am not here to be a paladin for some random russkie game, but seriously, in a fair world effort should be rewarded. Does Vogel deserves a chance to keep his mediocrity up?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
In this case the effort is having steadily released stuff for longer than most gaming companies are in operation.

Of course I hope you succeed in your project and wish you all the best! Still, Vogel has proven many times he can deliver; whether we like what he does deliver is a different matter, but I wouldn't be surprised by this success...

mondblut

Arcane
The town/settlement/whatever management stuff could be good. I want to believe.
You know which "RPG" had that feature recently? Fallout 4.

You know who also used logic? Hitler.

The presence of strategic town management/politics options were great in Disciples of Steel for instance. And I suppose you newfags didn't mind sinking your gold on castle upgrades in BG2 or M&M7 (heck, even 4!) either.

mondblut

Arcane
I am not here to be a paladin for some random russkie game, but seriously, in a fair world effort should be rewarded. Does Vogel deserves a chance to keep his mediocrity up?

I wouldn't give my money to strangers even if they ask me reeeeeaaaaaal nice. As for Vogel, you don't even need screenshots to know how will his game look and play, and if that's your kind of thing, you can preorder blindly - unless he has a stroke, you can be certain he'll deliver the goods.

Reputation trumps effort every single time.

Doktor Best

Arcane

I wouldn't give my money to strangers even if they ask me reeeeeaaaaaal nice. As for Vogel, you don't even need screenshots to know how will his game look and play, and if that's your kind of thing, you can preorder blindly - unless he has a stroke, you can be certain he'll deliver the goods.

Reputation trumps effort every single time.

Pretty much this.

Also, the russkie game kinda looks retardo edgy.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer

As a matter of fact, one of the first things i've done once I've seen the Vogel's kickstarter was to send the link to Iratus' project manager (I'm freelancing there). Poor guy almost had a heart attack but you know what they say, stress builds character.

However, speaking in context, these things cannot be compared. From Avernum's first remake, Vogel isn't really developing games. He's just asking for charity because he's old and tired. And, surprisingly enough, people are still giving it through all these years. Because, you know, he did those Exiles and Geneforges and Nethergate. And, partially, to uphold their "cool kid" reputation - why play the strictly superior modern roguelikes and -lites when you can play the same game ten times over? Because, really, Avadon 1-3 and NuVernum 1-3 is nothing but Avernum 5-6 (which are already the same game) repackaged six times. Zero effort applied. He's like an alcoholic B-movie star (or popular TV series secondary actor) far beyond his prime that still manages to scramble a living by wandering around the cons or whatnot.

As for Iratus' kickstarter, its failure is very easy to explain:

a. Shitty rewards. Everything higher than 20 just has no value. You can't even say that copycat status dooms us - compare rewards of the Ash of Gods and our. No one would pay us more than 20 and that's just not how this shit is supposed to work, it's all about whale-hunting.

b. Too much "clever" marketing. People nowadays are tired of shit. So you try to make everything as accesible as possible. Here, we've posted a direct link to demo and yet not many people have downloaded it. Everywhere else it's "join our discord to get demo" - who the fuck would bother? The intention behind this choice is clear but it's just too greedy.

c. PR fumble. We've had a number of articles promoting kickstarter at may 2 and suddenly it's delayed to may 22. Now that I think of it, it's probably an intentional choice so you could answer: "well, it was a typo!" We already don't have much press attention so it was silly to squander it like this.

Sorry for offtop. And mind you, I'm just a game designer there, I'm not asked about stuff like that. Or even if I'm asked, I'm not deciding anything.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

If people are going to reward him for the minimum effort (shit graphics, costantly worsening game mechanics and writing in the last decade) why improve? He did the shittiest kickstarter known to man - a thing that any poster in this thread could have written in ten minutes and some screenshots that make a RPGMaker game look like Crysis - and he got funded.

Why bother with effort, quality or good ideas? Merely throw out something and for some inane reasons he'll get the money. I mean, I would have supported him too if I didn't realized that he didn't make a game I enjoyed for almost a decade and in his free time he loves to lecture his public on how retarded they are.

Also, he's old and tired and he needs your money.

A lot of hypocritical edgy faggots here shitting on vogel. Ha,it is amusing that the guy managed to fund his kickstarter in a day despite the retarded hate here. I see that the people that enjoy older looking games and don't care about graphics are a dying breed even on the codex. Go and enjoy your shiny game,apparently they are making a new fallout for all of you retards.

We're cancer for him. He loves his paying fans, not the genre. If he gave a shit about the genre he would try to make something new.
I don't care about what he thinks or what likes,i care about what he is making!Vogel is a sjw retard,but he doesn't put his ideology in the games he make. I have played all of his games and i am yet to find a bug. His level design is very good,his writing is decent and the boss fights are good. He got funded because he delivers what he promises,unlike PoE. His games are same because he delivers what his fans want. If there were 10 iterations of MM world of xeen i would be in haven. I piss on your innovation and new things,go and play bioware game,i hear that they invented thing called a dialogue wheel. They also have fancy graphics,right up your alley.

I really hate hypocrisy in this forum. Everyone is "Oh old things are great,new ones are shit!" then someone makes something in the spirit of old and people are "Geee this looks ugly and is the same game,that retard should innovate!". That is why we can't have good games in this days! I hope that there is a hell just for people like you,a place where demons force you to play call of duty and asscreed for eternity!

mondblut

Arcane
"Geee this looks ugly and is the same game,that retard should innovate!".

But Exile, Avernum and Avernum: Escape from the Pit are literally the same game.
Exile 2, Avernum 2 and Avernum: Crystal Souls are literally the same game.
Exile 3, Avernum 3 and Avernum: Ruined World are literally the same game.
Nethergate and Nethergate: Resurrection are literally the same game.

More importantly, his "iterations" actually make things worse and dumb them down.

Brancaleone

Liturgist
You know, I usually don't do comparison posts or go into autistic rants. It's just that Pope Amole II brofisted one of my autistically angry posts, and it dawned on me. Let us make a comparison.

Develop game.
Give indepth videos, art dumps, PR and a good demo to the random fuckers on the Net.

http://download.iratus.org/static/Iratus_Demo_010.zip

Reply to every retarded fuck who asks stuff about you.
Hire Stephan Weyte to do the voiceover. Because they can be shitty russkies, but they care.

Result.

2p8M0p9.jpg

Be Vogel.
Write a ten minutes Kickstarter page.
Don't even bother to add screenshot, demo, or engage anyone 'cause he's a living legend.
"I'm old and tired, can't even get music beyond the starting screen."

Result.

ZJh94YZ.jpg

So the comparison is between a completely unknown quantity and a, well, extremely known quantity (if nothing else). The reaction of the public is quite different. Much surprise, yes.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
"Geee this looks ugly and is the same game,that retard should innovate!".

But Exile, Avernum and Avernum: Escape from the Pit are literally the same game.
Exile 2, Avernum 2 and Avernum: Crystal Souls are literally the same game.
Exile 3, Avernum 3 and Avernum: Ruined World are literally the same game.
Nethergate and Nethergate: Resurrection are literally the same game.

More importantly, his "iterations" actually make things worse and dumb them down.
I agree with you 100% mate. Also i don't have any problem with it,i found his games later. I get the frustration of people that wanted new games back in the old days and got a remakes. Now he is making a new IP and people still bitching about,if he was making a remake i would have agreed with those people. I see a lot of pointless vitriol in this thread,there is an upcoming crpg game with kingdom building mechanics.....and people want it to fail......i don't get it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom