Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lhynn

Arcane
Tyranny had good writing for a game. B movie shlock without the cheese (really, Tyranny would have been amazing if it was a bit more cheesy).

It had a full cast of interesting, but bidimensional characters, and a world i would enjoy burning to the ground. It had a ton of reactivity and the worst thing you can say about the game is that there just wasnt enough of it. It felt really incomplete.

Codex Year of the Donut
Tyranny had good writing for a game. B movie shlock without the cheese (really, Tyranny would have been amazing if it was a bit more cheesy).

It had a full cast of interesting, but bidimensional characters, and a world i would enjoy burning to the ground. It had a ton of reactivity and the worst thing you can say about the game is that there just wasnt enough of it. It felt really incomplete.
Because it was incomplete. The game randomly ends halfway through.

Malpercio

Arcane
Still, none of that should've mattered. Players value companions and their quests too much for him to make cuts there, he should've sacrificed other things if necessary. It seems Sawyer doesn't understand Obsidian's audience and most RPG fans in general.

Exactly. The gameplay has become a vanity project for him. And that is, unfortunately, the weakest aspect of the game, where the writing is too bad as well.

Obsidian "fans" are in two categories:

1. Ex-Biodrones who want to fill their empty lives by romancing pixels
2. People who enjoyed MoTB, KOTOR2, and Alpha Protocol stories and wacky characters.

nuObsidian has decided to obviously cater to the former. But, unfortunately, due to the bipolar nature of its design, and the general incompetence of Sawyer to come up with interesting and innovative mechanics, the game is neither a full-on bioware simulator nor a good tactics game.

I genuinely think that the difficulty was lowered as an afterthought when Obsidian realized that no one cared for the mechanics.
... how much romance do you people think there are in this game?

Codex Year of the Donut
Still, none of that should've mattered. Players value companions and their quests too much for him to make cuts there, he should've sacrificed other things if necessary. It seems Sawyer doesn't understand Obsidian's audience and most RPG fans in general.

Exactly. The gameplay has become a vanity project for him. And that is, unfortunately, the weakest aspect of the game, where the writing is too bad as well.

Obsidian "fans" are in two categories:

1. Ex-Biodrones who want to fill their empty lives by romancing pixels
2. People who enjoyed MoTB, KOTOR2, and Alpha Protocol stories and wacky characters.

nuObsidian has decided to obviously cater to the former. But, unfortunately, due to the bipolar nature of its design, and the general incompetence of Sawyer to come up with interesting and innovative mechanics, the game is neither a full-on bioware simulator nor a good tactics game.

I genuinely think that the difficulty was lowered as an afterthought when Obsidian realized that no one cared for the mechanics.
... how much romance do you people think there are in this game?
Can't romance Berath so it doesn't matter.

Malpercio

Arcane
Malpercio
It's not the amount. It is the quality.
That's not what your post implies, given you say they chose to pander to ex-biodrones. The game has a huge focus on c&c, quest with multiple outcomes and exploration. Romance fans don't care about these things, they don't even know what itemization is (Hence why shit like Witcher 3 is popular)

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
That's not what your post implies, given you say they chose to pander to ex-biodrones. The game has a huge focus on c&c, quest with multiple outcomes and exploration. Romance fans don't care about these things, they don't even know what itemization is (Hence why shit like Witcher 3 is popular)

Witcher's itemisation looks competent when you compare it to divos2.

Quillon

Arcane

Witcher's itemization is overdone. They should have just gotten rid of all the leveled generic gear from loot tables, the game would'a been better with only the witcher sets and some unique quest rewards.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yeah well, itemization is only as good as the combat. Witcher's 3 loot was incredibly half-assed, but I still enjoyed a few moments when after spending some time completing a unique set, I was cutting through enemies that previously required a lot of roll and tumble.

Meanwhile, tons of work must have went into making Deadfire loot, but at the end it matters fuck all because the game can be most likely beaten with the starter weapons.

Prime Junta

Meanwhile, tons of work must have went into making Deadfire loot, but at the end it matters fuck all because the game can be most likely beaten with the starter weapons.

That ought to be easy to address. It'll be interesting to hear how you feel about it once the rebalance patch drops.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Finally cleared the quest book before heading to Magrans teeth. Well, almost. Currently clearing the undead island, with that chick captain and her sword.

But really can't complain, that's 70 hours already of pretty much just side questing.

Sentinel

Arcane

Witcher's itemization is overdone. They should have just gotten rid of all the leveled generic gear from loot tables, the game would'a been better with only the witcher sets and some unique quest rewards.
You're supposed to deconstruct trash loot in witcher 3 for crafting materials

Malpercio

Arcane

Because crafting is so good in Witcher 3. Totally not bloated shit.

Sentinel

Arcane

goals.jpg

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

They should have make different inventories,one for real items and one for all the crafting materials and herbs. The second one should have been a weightless too. The inventory system was really bloated.

Sentinel

Arcane

They should have make different inventories,one for real items and one for all the crafting materials and herbs. The second one should have been a weightless too. The inventory system was really bloated.
They reworked their inventory twice during patches. The latest revision (which came with Blood & Wine patch) has division between crafting materials/herbs and real items.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

They reworked their inventory twice during patches. The latest revision (which came with Blood & Wine patch) has division between crafting materials/herbs and real items.
I remember having something like that,but by that point i didn't care much about the inventory. The worst thing was all that item repairing shit. I was ignoring the inventory until i was the level needed for to upgrade my car costume.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Craft & itemisation is alright in twitcher 3, mostly because they made it an actual investment to deconstruct etc, it's actually expensive in the beginning and negociating prices for contracts gets all the more meaningful because of that.
I couldn't say if that works on the long run because I never finished this game. Reached the bloody baron moment (quite cool).

Quillon

Arcane

I remember having something like that,but by that point i didn't care much about the inventory. The worst thing was all that item repairing shit. I was ignoring the inventory until i was the level needed for to upgrade my car costume.

Dudes. Let me tell you something. This is important! I.. ah.. fuck your pyramid! Thought there was something going on seeing 10 alerts checking after 20 mins, I'm disappointed.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Dudes. Let me tell you something. This is important! I.. ah.. fuck your pyramid! Thought there was something going on seeing 10 alerts checking after 20 mins, I'm disappointed.
+1
:troll:

Solfear

Novice
Hey, I am currently on an Ironman POTD All Scaling only Upward Blind playthrough with an evil oriented main character (Eder has been sacrificed in POE1 for example), I have completed Fort Deadlight (killing everyone). Do you think I have any chance to succeed?

frajaq

Erudite
With current PoTD being easy as fuck, yeah dude

Just don't explore a certain island near the southeast corner of the map

Tigranes

Arcane
Pacing/difficulty really seems to depend on your wanderings. Sometimes I run into some lich or someshit above my paygrade and the fights are delicious and require full use of resources; then I get back to MQ or something and roflstomp the whole map in 5 minutes.

I suspect that if you (accidentally?) beelined to Neketaka and cleaned the entire place out with non-combat quests, maybe robbed every single container and NPC possible (I don't know why, but we know people do this), and so on, then you might find the entire game a very quick and boring stomp.

Of course, the onus is on the game to pace you properly, so it's still true that the devs fucked up on POTD difficulty (and, I suspect, the pacing / balancing of XP rewards and so forth all over the place, just like POE1). But my suspicion is that if upcoming fixes are decent, then it's perfectly possible to have a nice fun long romp around the islands, as long as I don't deliberately look for ways to make the game easier. (Right now, it's more like you have to look for ways to not make it easy.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom