Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Cromwell

Arcane
It almost doesnt hurt anymore.

DeepOcean

Arcane
And boy, I expected Rage 2 to be total crap well... this was before seeing this Fallout 76. Bethesda keeps on giving.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
ZWi0YHh.jpg

THIS -IS- THREEEE DAWG, BOW WOWWW.. AND BOY DO I HAVE A SALE FOR YOU OUTLANDERS.. CHECK OUT THE VAULT SHOP ON YOUR PIP-BOY FOR THE LATEST DETAILS.

THREE DOG OUTTT!

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I haven’t been able to get into a Bethesda title in twenty years. Yet I love original Fallout so much that I keep giving them a chance. Also, New Vegas really didn’t help because Obsidian proved that a Fallout FPS-RPG can be awesome if done correctly. Not that I ever expected BGS to care about having good narrative and RPG elements, but F:NV was a proof of concept that showed the model could theoretically work very well even in a shit engine. It makes the rest of the rebooted franchise all the more tragic.

With 3 and 4 I figured Bethesda would fuck them up by embracing their usual design philosophy, but I let myself get a little excited just because of the setting. I hoped the source material would let BGS partially transcend its long track record of mediocrity, even if that hope was a very thin reed.

This news today feels different. Maybe on some level I believed the franchise could be salvaged if BGS let someone competent make spinoffs. But more than that, in the past BGS always at least paid lip service to the idea that Fallouts should be RPGs. Fallout 4 the cinematic FPS with a thin patina of RPG coating is one thing, Fallout 76 the multiplayer survival game is a whole different level of heartbreak.

tl;dr before it felt like BGS stole Fallout and crashed the franchise into a ditch, then a retaining wall—like a bad driver who doesn’t give a fuck about his car. Now it feels like they’re just deliberately lighting the franchise on fire. I’m sure 76 will be very disappointing no matter what, but I hope the role of multiplayer is overstated, if only so the game will be disappointing in the right direction.

Generic-Giant-Spider

This reminds me of how excited I was when I heard a new Shadowrun game was going to be made. Man, I was so pumped up.

Then I heard it was a first person shooter multiplayer deathmatch game.

That was the first time I ever considered throwing it all away and becoming a homeless meth head.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
It almost doesnt hurt anymore.

Fallout is all used up by know, trying every new gimmick to get our attention, but we remember the better days when it was good looking and fun

:negative:

How does it feel to know that most of Bethesda's fans probably weren't born when Fallout 2 came out?
When you cry out Fallout 4 was shit.. their response will be, it was better than 3 though.

Welcome to the end.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I've moved on long ago, I feel more pity for people having to work on shit like this

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Do not buy Bethesda games.
Do not play Bethesda games.
Do not discuss Bethesda games.
Why are you discussing it then?

How can you have been here for almost three years without having realized ages ago that wallowing in angst and self-pity and bitching about things we don't like is the primary function of the Codex?

jf8350143

Liturgist
I don't really understand their motivation here. Fallout 4 sells extremely well and word of mouth isn't really that bad,all they have to do is making a New Vegas style spin-offs with a little tweak,it will be guaranteed financial success. Yet they decide to tap into a genre with billions of other competitors and facing inevitable coming fan backlash for what reason again?

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Fallout sells whatever it is. Were you around when they announced ESO? Same shit then as now, they sold anyway.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Fallout sells whatever it is. Were you around when they announced ESO? Same shit then as now, they sold anyway.

If they actually making Fallout 76 a MMO, I will never play it, but at least I can understand what they were doing. At least Fallout 4 is labelled as an RPG and an MMO RPG is still a RPG.

Making a online basement building and survival fallout is just weird. Who played fallout to experience "survival and basement building"?

Bigg Boss

Arcane

If they actually making Fallout 76 a MMO, I will never play it, but at least I can understand what they were doing. At least Fallout 4 is labelled as an RPG and an MMO RPG is still a RPG.

Making a online basement building and survival fallout is just weird. Who played fallout to experience "survival and basement building"?

All of the people that thought Fallout 4 was the best thing ever since the companions actually have more than one line of dialog and let you play Minecraft while you play Missile Command while you play Dating Simulator while you play Mass Effect while you play with your dick.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hey, I managed to avoid the rumors that a new Fallout game was coming, so I didn't have to be disappointed by what it turned out to be. So there's that at least. Right? RIGHT?

:negative:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Regardless of the Glittering Gem that informs me that I should be infuriated at this upcoming desecration..I am obliged to inform people that this is what Interplay did to us:

latest

zYrP2Md.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom