Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline RPG Codex's Top 50 cRPGs - Results and Reviews

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Get Blackguards right now, amazing game. Then play Aarklash Legacy. Then play Might & Magic X: Legacy. And then after you finish that, get Divinity Original Sin 2, hopefully it has had a bunch of patches and mods by then. And then sometime you should get Legend of Grimrock 2 and install the Magic of Grimrock mod. And then if you loved Blackguards, get Blackguards 2. Ignore all reviews and what anyone on codex says (except me).

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Take this with a bucket of salt as I haven't personally played it yet, but from watching Divinity: OS 2 it's the closest we have gotten to a turn-based Ultima 7 without schedules and with more linearity. Even with those dampers, it seems great. Even the weird Belgium-style humor that I hated in the other Divinity games has been, well, not removed, but dialed down back enough that I can actually enjoy the writing, odd as it might be at times.

Don't play Divinity: OS 1 though. You don't need to, and it's all around just boring in my opinion, with lots of awkward jokes that are funny only to other Belgians. That said -- it's /still/ the best big Kickstarter RPG, certainly better than WL 2, PoE, Torment 2.0.

V_K

Arcane
where inventory management isn't tedious, for example
In that case, stay away from either DOS games. It's horrible there, and the Diablo-style loot treadmill means you'll spend nearly half the time shuffling stuff between inventories.
Shadowruns, on the other hand, don't have any inventory management whatsoever: you equip you characters before the mission and that's basically it. Some people here find it annoying, but personally I much prefer it over DOS hassle.
Then there's Voidspire Tactics - it's kinda like DOS, but faster paced and with more interesting setting and better character system. I haven't played the sequel, Alvora Tactics, yet, but people seem to find it just as good.
Lords of Xulima is the closest thing you can get to Wiz7 nowadays (Grimoire notwithstanding), and I don't remember there being any problems with the UI. It does tend to drag on in the later parts of the game, but still worth playing for the excellent first half.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
And then if you loved Blackguards, get Blackguards 2. Ignore all reviews and what anyone on codex says (except me).
I played Blackguards 2 this year, once on normal then twice on hard. It isn't an excessively long game but anyway, it was good enough to play it 3 times in a row.
The story was good, the writing was good, German voice overs were fantastic. As a tactical combat game it was entertaining enough to recommend it, although it's worse than BG1 in all things combat and char system.
They made substantial changes to the system - for the worse - and didn't balance those changes well or at all. In the end the only combat moves worth having are dual wield and triple shot, which both can instagib most mobs for a fraction of the endurance costs that other moves have, whereas hammer blow does so pitiful dmg as to be completely laughable and death blow matters fuck all because wounds are useless (just like Dodge is useless) because everybody hits all the time anyway, so "debuffing enemies" doesn't work. Everything culminating in the dumbest thing I've ever seen in any RPG - the static damage of weapons, that deal the same amount of dmg each and every strike. Yeah and a bunch of bugs they never bothered to fix. But yeah, all things considered still a good game.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I think it has lots of improvements of BG1 as well though, there were some bigger and more interesting enemies like the wraiths and stuff, some fun maps, much better gear, and the towns were much better. I also liked the story. But there were a lot of bad changes too. But still I like it, especially seeing as I bought it for about $1 on steam.

Thanks to Great Deceiver's efforts to inform people of how to properly run it on modern operating systems I've been playing (alongside a few other games from time to time)...

220px-Wizards_%26_Warriors_Cover.jpg

Pretty fun turn-based/real-time hybrid party based RPG. Love the fact that you can choose from more unique races (elephant people, rat people, fairies) for party composition. While the combat seemed awkward at first, after getting used to it am finding it very engaging; sort of a best of both worlds situation, which is nice since while I prefer turn based I don't dislike Real-Time. Gives the game its own unique spin. Finished the first dungeon (Crypt) and while initially not impressed once I found out how much more there was to it that impression greatly changed. If this is just the first dungeon in the game I'm going to be looking forward to exploring the other dungeons mentioned in the posts contributors made on this list. Still has a few performance issues (framerate slowdowns in dungeons at times) but otherwise runs near flawlessly!

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Very strange to me seeing wiz 8 and morrowind in the top 10.

Even stranger seeing the kotor games, alpha protocol, and Dragon age on there(this one's easily the worst).

To each their own I guess.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
We could do it January 2019. It will be the 5th anniversary of this one. I just hope we don't have any big recently-released RPG around that time, as that usually distorts the results.

I expect A LOT of changes, with Age of Decadence, The Witcher 3 and D:OS 1/2 fighting for spots on the Top 10, while older games like Darklands and Krondor fall lower. Comments will be fun.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
We could do it January 2019. It will be the 5th anniversary of this one. I just hope we don't have any big recently-released RPG around that time, as that usually distorts the results.

Ideally before Cyberpunk then. Looking forward to PoE 1 and 2 comments, and hopefully TToN makes ironical cameo xD

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
When's next poll?

I got half way through one last year but had to abandon it when Fallout 2 scored higher than Fallout 1 combined with edgelords who've never played Hordes of the Underdark bombing its score because they're still buthurt over the NWN OC after over 15 years.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I'm not sure if the new poll will change much at the top end of the poll. The results of my polling at the end of last year, which ended up covering the years 1995-2013, gave the following top 50:

1. Fallout 2 (226 pts)
2. Planescape: Torment (222 pts)
3. Fallout (217 pts)
4. Gothic 2 (194 pts)
4. Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines (194 pts)
6. Arcanum (193 pts)
6. Deus Ex (193 pts)
8. Jagged Alliance 2 (181 pts)
9. Baldur's Gate (172 pts)
10. Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer (168 pts)

11. Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn (164 pts)
12. Gothic 1 (155 pts)
13. The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind (149 pts)
14. The Witcher (143 pts)
15. Arx Fatalis (140 pts)
16. System Shock 2 (139 pts)
17. The Temple of Elemental Evil (138 pts)
18. Wizardry 8 (134 pts)
19. Might & Magic 7: For Blood & Honor (128 pts)
20. Icewind Dale (126 pts)

21. Might & Magic 6: The Mandate of Heaven (123 pts)
22. Divine Divinity (122 pts)
23. Knights of the Chalice (120 pts)
24. Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast (114 pts)
25. Icewind Dale 2 (112 pts)
26. Baldur's Gate 2: The Throne of Bhaal (110 pts)
27. Gothic 2: Night of the Raven (101 pts)
28. The Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall (100 pts)
29. Anachronox (98 pts)
30. Diablo (97 pts)

31. Realms of Arkania: Shadows Over Riva (93 pts)
32. Neverwinter Nights 2 (89 pts)
33. Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter (88 pts)
34. Albion (86 pts)
35. Mount & Blade: Warband (84 pts)
36. Mount & Blade (78 pts)
37. Expeditions: Conquistador (67 pts)
38. Drakensang: The River of Time (66 pts)
39. Shadowrun Returns: Dead Man's Switch (63 pts)
40. Geneforge (62 pts)

41. Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir (59 pts)
42. Dark Messiah of Might & Magic (58 pts)
43. Icewind Dale: Trials of the Luremaster (55 pts)
44. Diablo 2 (54 pts)
45. Silent Storm (53 pts)
46. Neverwinter Nights (49 pts)
47. Vampire: The Masquerade: Redemption (47 pts)
48. Legend of Grimrock (45 pts)
49. Neverwinter Nights: Vault of Games (39 pts)
49. King's Bounty: The Legend (39 pts)

Bonus:

Top 5 most hated games:

1. Dungeon Siege (-60 pts)
2. Torchlight (-50 pts)
3. Risen 2 (-43 pts)
4. Dungeon Siege 2 (-38 pts)
5. Lionheart (-36 pts)

Years of zero qualifying games (games with less than 35 people who have played them):

All other years had at least 1 top 50 game.

Most of which is all a load of complete bollocks IMO. It was certainly something which made me learn how King Komrade is always the correct voting option on the codex ;) so some good came of it.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Oh yes, they'll all get a place, there's plenty of stuff in that top 50 that isn't the usual codex fawning material. BTW, Conquistador is on the above list already, though don't expect too much from those kinds of titles, they have a small niche of fans, but they're not on the same level of rabid as some of the other games you mentioned. I'll do a quick guess for you on the titles you mentioned:

AoD: 11-20
Underrail: 11-20
D:OS 2: 15-25
Blackguards: 35-45
Xulima: 35-45
Conquistador: 40-50
Dragonffall: 30-40
Invisible Inc: Not an RPG

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
One simple way to do the poll is taking the previous Top 50 list from this thread and add the Top 10's from GOTY 2014-2017 in the poll.

That would be a list with 90 games. Everyone should get probably around 25 or 30 votes.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I proposed a graduated system where you get more points if you rate more games. That seems to be the most fair.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...esults-and-reviews.89680/page-65#post-4902759

And also, to be honest it's ridiculous to rate all-time RPGs on a scale of 1-5... I think the cap for any single game should be 4. So it should be rating the games 0 min, 4 max. What I mean is that when I try making a list of the best RPGs of all time and can only assign 25 points, I can't even assign a single 5. I have a 4, a 3 , three 2's and the rest are 1's- which means I am only rating 17 games total. In fact, a cap of 3 would probably make even more sense. In the 2014 poll, only 8 games in the top 50 had an average rating higher than 3.

25 points, cap of 3 max per game, minimum 15 games rated would be the most fair. Or 30 points, 20 games min.

Or how about scaling points by games rated?

20 points, 10 games
25 points, 15 games
30 points, 20 games
35 points, 25 games

etc... This way players who have played more games wont be weighed less than those who have played less games and you can collect information from players who have played more games.

Or actually give the players who have played more games some more weight, like 6 points/ 5 games feels right.

19 points, 10 games (roughly 2 ***, 5 **, 3 * or 3 ***, 3 **, 4 *)
25 points, 15 games
31 points, 20 games
37 points, 25 games
43 points, 30 games

etc...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom