Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
What does the Druid bring that another class doesn't?

Edmund Spenser

Educated
What does the Druid bring that another class doesn't?

"Objective" opinion: Druids bring utility and variety to a group. You can, throughout the game, have a nuker and buffer and capable melee damage dealer (Daggers is one of the best melee skills). You can dump utility magic on them to open up other classes for pure damage output: for example, have your Druid go all-in for Water, Air, Spirit, and Body, then let the rest of your team hyper-focus on Fire/Light/Dark. They have the highest spell points of any class, which is useful when you need to spam spells.

Personal opinion: Druids and Knights are the worst classes in the game and their strengths are often outweighed by the benefits the other classes bring. Knights have a ton of HP which is very useful for Shared Life, but that's about it (they won't melee any better, at base, than any other character. They'll functionally have more weaponskill though because they have less skills to work on, but this can be mitigated by simply having your casters focus less on magic if you wanted). Druids are versatile, sure, but you never really need both healing and damage at once, and taking another Sorcerer or Cleric is better almost every time. Not ever getting Light/Dark is a problem and relegates them to Paladin/Archer territory, both of whom get better gearing options. The worst fact is this though: the majority of spells are bad and having access to every school isn't a huge functional improvement. It essentially means that you have a character that can Power Cure/Shared Life while also being able to toss out an Incinerate/Starburst/Fire Blast etc. This is helpful but not super impressive.

This doesn't mean that Knights and Druids are bad, it just means that they're not a shoe-in like the other classes. Using a Druid in a D/S/S/S party is actually fantastic for instance, because it lets you go all-in for damage while still having access to good healing. Using a Knight in something like Knight/(Paladin/Archer)/Sorc/Cleric is great because it gives you a character that's hard to kill and further bumps the party's HP pool so Shared Life becomes an even huger asset.

Basically, most of the time you're always better off using a Paladin/Archer/Sorcerer/Cleric depending on what you want, but there are corner cases where Knights and Druids shine. As always though, none of this matters if you aren't trying to absolutely min/max the game because rocking K/K/D/D would still be a hilariously effective party.

edit:

If you're interested in "the best" parties by type, they'd be something like this:

Magic: D/S/S/S, C/S/S/S
Hybrid: P/A/S/S, P/A/A/C, P/A/A/S, A/A/A/C
Might: P/P/A/A, K/P/A/A
Balanced: K/D/S/C, P/A/S/C

And the absolute "best party possible" would be C/S/S/S. P/A/S/C comes close and is the default party.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Listen to this man Lacrymas, he speaks only truth:

So, I decided to begin MM6 first after all. Made a Paladin, Cleric, Druid and Sorcerer. Is that party too caster-heavy or is it alright? Is the Paladin redundant? Should I change it to Knight?
This is Might and Magic, don't try to powergame and find "optimal playstyles" or anything like that, pick whatever you think will be fun and go with it. Pure melee or ranged or caster parties are not a good idea on a first run, more balanced party is much preferable and more fun. You should definitely have 2 different casters out of the 3 so you can see and experiment with all the spells. TBH I think the most balanced party is the default Paladin/Archer/Cleric/Sorcerer. People like to pick caster-only parties because there are no skill mastery restrictions in MM6, but it's nice to be able to try all the different artifacts and relics.

Personally I always play MM6 with Druids because I love hybrid Casters, but anything similar to KnightorPaladin/Archer/ClericorDruid/Sorcerer will get you a good experience.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Nah, I'm not trying to powergame, especially on my first runthrough. I don't even know how to powergame without interacting with the systems first. I was just wondering if the classes have any special abilities that no other classes have, but I guess not. I'll stick with my current line-up and I'll see where it goes.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It's one of the reasons I like MM7 more personally, since that system is way more polished. But you're in for a dungeon sprawling treat :hug:

T. Reich

Arcane
Nah, I'm not trying to powergame, especially on my first runthrough. I don't even know how to powergame without interacting with the systems first. I was just wondering if the classes have any special abilities that no other classes have, but I guess not. I'll stick with my current line-up and I'll see where it goes.

Clerics and Sorcerers (aka pure casters) will gain access to magic of Dark and Light (either class gets access to both).
Knights and paladins gain access to all armours and weapons. Knights can get ridonculous amount of HP, palandins trade that away for access to clerical healing magic.
Archers are nothing special, but it's nice to have an extra character with access to elemental magic.
Druids are like the perfect "universal" caster if you don't give a toss about the Dark & Light and just want the maximum magic potential out of one character slot.

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Bros, just finished Isles of Terra and rushed thru the endgame cause I was eager to finish it up and take a break from M&M for awhile and play some other shit. And then I immediately started into World of Xeen. This shit is seriously addicting. I wasn't expecting vast improvements over Isles, but already the dungeon design is much more interesting (with the sewers actually feeling like sewers, the mines like mines, the wizard towers like wizard towers) and the quest and char interactions and little graphical additions (like the "Hello stranger" barmaid) and the autonotes are all v v nice

There's no need to powergame in MM6 at all. The only important advice anyone can give you is to get at least 2 characters that can cast Sparks (and get them to Expert Air magic asap), it will make your life a lot easier in the early to midgame.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I missed the most popular MnMs back in the day, so a few months ago I sat down to play.

I found 6, 7 and 8 to be a painful, inexorable grind with ridiculous amounts of enemies every 10 feet, and a system that punishes you for not knowing how to exploit it at every turn, what exact skills to take and where exactly to go to grab the stat boosts and items you need for max cheese.

Frankly, I have no idea how those games got so popular given that they're essentially a slow, tedious version of Doom 2 with more statistics and not what I'd call an RPG.

I'd love to be persuaded otherwise, but I endured MnM 7 up to uh, I dunno, an couple of hours after you clean castle Harmondale from the goblin infestation I guess, then I just gave up because gameplay consisted largely of backtracking and slowly grinding horribly dull combat.

Youre not supposed to play the whole game in turnbased mode dude...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I missed the most popular MnMs back in the day, so a few months ago I sat down to play.

I found 6, 7 and 8 to be a painful, inexorable grind with ridiculous amounts of enemies every 10 feet, and a system that punishes you for not knowing how to exploit it at every turn, what exact skills to take and where exactly to go to grab the stat boosts and items you need for max cheese.

Frankly, I have no idea how those games got so popular given that they're essentially a slow, tedious version of Doom 2 with more statistics and not what I'd call an RPG.

I'd love to be persuaded otherwise, but I endured MnM 7 up to uh, I dunno, an couple of hours after you clean castle Harmondale from the goblin infestation I guess, then I just gave up because gameplay consisted largely of backtracking and slowly grinding horribly dull combat.

Youre not supposed to play the whole game in turnbased mode dude...
Turn based mode is only for fast recovery from black and white magic.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Got a teacher and an instructor. One of them looks like a cross between Anna Kendrick and Ellen Degeneres, the other one looks like Kiefer Sutherland, but in the middle point between being hot when he was in his early 20s and looking like a mummy. There's also lightning everywhere in his portrait. The portraits in this game are pretty weird. I got the money from a random rock which exploded in my face and knocked out everyone but the Druid. Fun times. Anyway, my question is - how do you learn new skills?

T. Reich

Arcane
Different guilds and shops can teach you new skills for teh monies.
In order to acquire skill points, you get enough exp to level up, then go to the gym and pay to level up.
Once you reach certain skill levels, there are expert/master skill trainers that will improve the per-point bonuses that the skills provide.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
You can get subscription from houses,talk with people mate. Trading skill is pretty important to have form early as possible,normally it is the first skill i get to expert and eventually master.... on everyone. Levelling is affect by it,and late game could cost a lot.

Covenant

Savant
My fav part of Xeen is the Lightside training guy who looks and talks like a space marine.

HERE TO TREEEEEEEEEHN?

GOOD JOB!

So many of the sound bytes from Xeen are permanently stuck in my head in a way that never happened for other games I played.

'GOT AH PASS? OKAY, GO AHEAD'

Or Alamar's crazy laugh from the RIP screen. That guy was definitely on space drugs.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Got everyone Bow skill, Nicolai managed to get himself kidnapped and I'm already at -75 reputation. Off to a good start.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
My fav part of Xeen is the Lightside training guy who looks and talks like a space marine.

HERE TO TREEEEEEEEEHN?

GOOD JOB!

So many of the sound bytes from Xeen are permanently stuck in my head in a way that never happened for other games I played.

'GOT AH PASS? OKAY, GO AHEAD'

Or Alamar's crazy laugh from the RIP screen. That guy was definitely on space drugs.

I have PREEETTYYY GOOOOD permanently stuck in my brain, from Dark side trainers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom