Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Drama in Popamole Land: PUBG devs accuse Epic's Fortnite of being a ripoff

Lemming execs moving away from the overplayed, overblown Dota-like fad into this last-man-standing bullshit, news at 11.

Fuck all of them. PUBG is horrendous garbage anyway.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Sweeney says, tech to everyone: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...ill-benefit-more-than-battle-royale-bandwagon

Sweeney: Fortnite engine improvements will benefit more than battle royale bandwagon
Epic Games CEO addresses Bluehole's concerns of tech sharing, says Unreal firm would never restrict how devs use its tech

Tim Sweeney believes the forthcoming updates to the Unreal Engine, based on advances required by Fortnite, will lead to more than just additional battle royale games.

Yesterday we reported that Epic Games had to make several optimisations to the engine in order to power Fortnite's own battle royale mode, such as support for 100 simultaneous players and larger worlds with greater viewing distances.

These will be rolled out in the next two UE4 updates, but Epic's pledge to deliver these technical advancements to all developers "especially those building games with similar requirements" could serve to encourage more studios to jump on the battle royale bandwagon as the success of both Fortnite and PlayerUnknown's Battleground rumbles on.

Epic's free-to-play title has already attracted 7m players within a week, while Early Access smash hit PUBG has surpassed 10m players in its first six months. Since the latter took off, battle royale-style modes have been added to numerous titles - including Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto Online - with Brendan 'PlayerUnknown' Greene observing that there is already a multitude of clones emerging in the East.

PUBG developer Bluehole has specifically taken umbridge with Epic Games' entry into the genre, suggesting that technical support and solutions afforded to its own game (which is also powered by Unreal) could then be implemented into Fortnite, taking away any competitive edge. These fears are no doubt exacerbated by the announcement that Fortnite-based advancements to Unreal will be made available to all - but Epic's CEO stresses that this is about more than just battle royale games.

"In my view, the targeted effort within Epic to make the engine better for Fortnite Battle Royale was an awesome success that benefits everyone," Sweeney tells GamesIndustry.biz.

"The multiplayer optimisations benefit not only Battle Royale-style games, but all games with large player counts. The rendering optimisations benefit all games with large worlds, and there's a lot more in the works for future updates that will provide further benefits."

He also reiterated the firm's policy of sharing all of its technology with developers, something that has been most visible since the firm made Unreal Engine 4 - and even its source code - freely available a few years back. So while Bluehole may have called out Epic for benefitting from advances to improve PUBG, the same is true for any developer using the engine - including Epic itself.

"All improvements Epic makes to the Unreal Engine are available to all licensees for all of their products," Sweeney says. "They always have been, and always will be. This widely-shared technology base is the core reason why Epic's engine development work has had so much positive impact on the industry."

The rise of the battle royale genre is unquestionably the latest major trend turning developers' heads. Epic's decision to make this tech freely available to all studios may enable more companies to enter this space - something that will further frustrate Bluehole - but Sweeney says it's not Epic's place to dictate what developers can and can't make with its engine. While this neither condones nor encourages developers hoping to capitalise on PUBG's success, it does illustrate the awkward position engine makers find themselves in when trying to make games development more accessible to all.

"We provide the Unreal Engine openly to everyone, and support developers' creative freedom to build what they choose," he says. "It's up to players and the press to judge the merits of their work.

"For Epic to restrict or control developers' creative expression would be as bizarre and overreaching as if Microsoft Word restricted what ideas writers were allowed to express. We decided very early on that we'd never do such a thing."

The sharing of technology frees up more time for developers to focus on creativity, so any efforts that improve engines like Unreal can only work in studios' favour in the long-run. Equally, while the rise of more battle royale games may aggravate Bluehole, competition also drives quality and compels leaders like PUBG to keep innovating in order to maintain their advantage.

Plisken

Learned
fuck them I hope it eats up their customer base

These retards were part of the plague ship that infected ArmA's PVP scene permanently. The other one is that dean hall cunt who needs to be assassinated by a 10 year old on a bmx with a mac-10, payed for by bitcoin on the dark net.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:necro:

It's happening: https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/tech/2018/05/134_249598.html

PUBG takes US game firm to court

Korean game developer PUBG, a subsidiary of Bluehole, has filed a copyright violation lawsuit against U.S.-based Epic Games, asking a court to determine whether the latter's "Fortnite" was copied from the former's "PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds."

A PUBG official said Friday that the firm filed an injunction, alleging copyright infringement, with the Seoul Central District Court against Epic Games Korea.

"We filed the suit to protect our copyright in January," said the official.

Released in July last year, "Fortnite," a first-person shooter (FPS) game, has recently become popular around the world, threatening the popularity of "Battlegrounds" that was a great hit in the global game market last year.

When "Fortnite" was first launched, the game only had the "Save the World" mode, at which gamers build walls and defended it. But in September, the firm added the free-to-play "Battle Royale" portion into the game, provoking a plagiarism controversy and allegations that it copied "Battlegrounds" items and user interface (UI).

When the controversy flared in September, Bluehole said in a statement that the firm was mulling ways on how to respond to the claims that core elements and UI of the Battle Royale mode of "Fortnite" seemed to be similar to those of Battlegrounds.

The Korean firm added that it was regrettable that Epic Games, which was a partner of Bluehole, had released a similar game.

"Battlegrounds," a survivor shooter game reminiscent of the Japanese film "Battle Royale," was released in March last year to early access on Steam, the world's largest online game store platform.

Since its release, more than 40 million copies of the video game have been sold on Steam as of April. Over 4 million copies of the game's console version, which was released last December, have also been sold.

The Korean game has received various awards in and outside the country, and its mobile version, released on May 16, continues the popularity.

Epic Games has also enjoyed rising popularity of "Fortnite," which has attracted over 40 million users around the globe.

Epic Games is currently preparing to make a foray into the Korean market in cooperation with Neowiz Games as the two firms signed an agreement in January to release "Fortnite" in so-called PC rooms here within the second quarter.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Both games are clearly popamole, but from what I've osmosed, Fortnite is a smooth and polished battle royale game, whereas PUBG is a janky battle royale game.

I occasionally use Steam's Discovery Queues to find obscure games, and battle royale-type games are definitely the new fad judging by the amount of mediocre/bad/unknown battle royale games that have popped up within the past eight months.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Both games are clearly popamole, but from what I've osmosed, Fortnite is a smooth and polished battle royale game, whereas PUBG is a janky battle royale game.

I occasionally use Steam's Discovery Queues to find obscure games, and battle royale-type games are definitely the new fad judging by the amount of mediocre/bad/unknown battle royale games that have popped up within the past eight months.

I usually don't say "why the fuck r u playing this trash" to rl friends not to stress relationship, but with battle royale games I just openly tell them they really need to rethink why they are doing it.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I recently unfriended someone I've known online since 2004 for trying to pressure me into playing Civ VI.

There is a line, and refusing to even try SMAC for over a decade while simultaneously shilling for every new Civ game is where I draw it. VI was the final straw.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Battle Royale games can be fun, they're kinda like the last man standing game mode that was played in some sourcemods years ago, I remember having lots of fun with last man standing in Battle Grounds 2 (18th century FPS) and Resistance and Liberation (WW2 FPS), both of which were free sourcemods for HL2, and the server admins could set no respawn so there'd be essentially 1-life team deathmatches.

So... essentially these Battle Royale games are large-scale multiplayer FPS games with only one game mode rather than a dozen, like FPS games used to have.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
They're basically the exact same thing as any deathmatch arena, just on a larger scale and with more embellishments. Fortnite has the construction gimmick which is no doubt part of why it's so popular, gets the Minecraft/sandbox crowd involved.

Well, the exact same thing except that they're gotta-go-slow third-person affairs rather than proper gotta-go-fast first-person arena shooters, but hey.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Regardless of how popamole both titles are, it will set a pretty retarded precedent if PU wins this case.

My support is definitely with Epic here.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Tencent studio suing Tencent studio?
ok

Epic win cus they made Last Man Standing in UT.
Or they just withdraw Unreal licence for them, just find the reason...

Gerrard

Arcane
Koushun Takami should now sue Bluehole for stealing the name "Battle Royale" and its concept.

PorkBarrellGuy

Isn't PUBG owned by the Chinks? The kings of ripping shit off? Could have sworn Tencent owns PUBG.

EDIT: Oh, nevermind, Tencent just localized it for China.

Tencent generally stopped actually producing their own ripoffs/creations and/or modifying views/choices of companies they have large sums of stocks in after they found out that it's just more effective to buy stocks and watch as the money flows into their pockets without them doing or suggesting a single thing.

Seems like a waste of time and money to sue given others have tried this in the past and lost, which is probably why you don't see these kinds of suits anymore in video games.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Reminds me of when Capcom sued one of the SF2 clones that was hitting the market called World Heroes.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
1tkjq9.jpg

ortucis

Prophet
Isn't PUBG owned by the Chinks? The kings of ripping shit off? Could have sworn Tencent owns PUBG.

EDIT: Oh, nevermind, Tencent just localized it for China.

Pretty sure Epic is owned by Chinks, at least half of the company.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
> be a small shit indie company
> Use a well-known recipe for battle ROYAAALEE (with cheese?)
> Use this recipe to make a buggy half-wellmade early access title that sells millions
> Sue the creators of the FUCKING UNREAL ENGINES for copyright of the GENRE
> ?????

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom