Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[deleted]

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Good lord. If you thought that decking your whole party in gear was expensive then wait until you have to do that on top of buying them Skells and then buying better parts and weapons for the Skells as well. :negative: I think a lot of people are just leaving the game idle and let the money flow. Try not to wreck your Skell as well since that's going to cost you money after you are out of Skell insurance (lol). NPCs don't expend Insurance even if their Skell breaks, thankfully.

Edit: Got the flight module now :yeah:

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
Anyone who bought the western version should seriously consider self termination for supporting the crap they do.

fwzlka.png

Duraframe300

Arcane
Anyone who bought the western version should seriously consider self termination for supporting the crap they do.

And?

Its nowhere near as bad as its made out to be and Nintendo has been doing this for over three decades (Worse in the past even).

deuxhero

Arcane
It's nowhere near as bad as its made out to be, they just replaced half the armor in the game with shitty texture edits of other armor, the translation is all kinds of fucked up, there's only a poor English dub (with less voice options for the MC!) and outright removed options in character creation.

You bought a vastly shitter version at twice the cost of the better version. That's a fact

Avellion

Erudite
Thankfully, I have only really been decking myself out in gear.

Namely, because I havent seen the need to equip the others. That choice became even easier once I got the Ramjet rifle (you know, that "piece of crap" that does only 1 damage but generates 300 TP)

Well, the reason I hadnt had to equip anybody is because the drop rate has been really generous for me...

And I kinda prefer Skell/Light/Blade armor over the much more expensive heavy armor.

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
It's nowhere near as bad as its made out to be, they just replaced half the armor in the game with shitty texture edits of other armor, the translation is all kinds of fucked up, there's only a poor English dub (with less voice options for the MC!) and outright removed options in character creation.

You bought a vastly shitter version at twice the cost of the better version. That's a fact

Nope on all accounts (or to better say it. They're half truths) Also the dub is decent.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
What do you guys think of the Skells? I have to say that it was the biggest selling point for me, but I'm not really a fan of it. The combat with Skells is less interesting to me than ground combat. I have a far more interesting setup with my doods that doesn't seem to be possible with Skells. Skell combat is just about abusing long CD big number attacks and then resetting them with the cockpit view. It feels slow and boring. The absolutely insane prices of them is crazy as well. I make 50k each time money procs and the most expensive skells will be between 2-4 million + better parts and weapons. It's a huge money hog and then the Insurance system fucks you up the asshole eventually as well. Too much of a hassle. My Galactic Knight out damages my skells alone as well which is nuts.

Avellion

Erudite

Nope on all accounts (or to better say it. They're half truths) Also the dub is decent.
Lip synching is kinda fucked up. Though I will say that I recognize several of those armors he listed. In fact, I have used some of those models in my european game.

What do you guys think of the Skells? I have to say that it was the biggest selling point for me, but I'm not really a fan of it. The combat with Skells is less interesting to me than ground combat. I have a far more interesting setup with my doods that doesn't seem to be possible with Skells. Skell combat is just about abusing long CD big number attacks and then resetting them with the cockpit view. It feels slow and boring. The absolutely insane prices of them is crazy as well. I make 50k each time money procs and the most expensive skells will be between 2-4 million + better parts and weapons. It's a huge money hog and then the Insurance system fucks you up the asshole eventually as well. Too much of a hassle. My Galactic Knight out damages my skells alone as well which is nuts.

SKELLS were my biggest selling point as well and that is just concerning, I am stuck on the explore Noctilum bit right before chapter 6. I really hope SKELLS are just weak early on and get good once you gain access to good skills. This may be why I havent seen anyone online use skells even though they had the skell and the mission supported it.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Lip synching is kinda fucked up. Though I will say that I recognize several of those armors he listed. In fact, I have used some of those models in my european game.

SKELLS were my biggest selling point as well and that is just concerning, I am stuck on the explore Noctilum bit right before chapter 6. I really hope SKELLS are just weak early on and get good once you gain access to good skills. This may be why I havent seen anyone online use skells even though they had the skell and the mission supported it.

The first Skell you get for free is weak and shit. The ones you buy are better and are good at first, especially at power leveling since you can beat monsters way beyond your level for massive XP, but eventually their usefulness will dwindle. They don't level up so the only way to improve a Skell is to buy/find new parts and use Skell gear with your pilots, but that will only take you so far. Your characters will eventually surpass them as my Galactic Knight kinda has at this point. You'll still need them for some Tyrants who are unreachable without flying, but I feel like there are too many strings attached to them. Especially the ridiculously high fee. 4 million space credits is nothing to laugh at. I can fully arm my whole party with that money.

Still far behind you two. Just beginning Chapter 5.

I'm at chapter 12 +M

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Well like I said, there are some unreachable tyrants. Flying around is nice though, the best part of the Skells. It feels great. FUCK the elemental table, though. You'll understand what I mean when you get your own Skell. Fuck the elemental table with my fist.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Skell is after chapter 6, flight module is after chapter 9. Both are pretty awful missions.

Edit: I finished the main campaign now. I recommend everyone to grind up a bit before taking the final fight on since it's locked behind a Point of no Return, meaning that even if you are strong enough to beat the first half of it you may not be able to take on the 2nd part and then you'll need to do all of it all over again when you re-do it. Although I managed to do it with a lvl 51 party, I'd say lvl 55 would be a nice place to be at to save you from some headache.

Last edited:

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Finally got my first mech, after only 40 hours.:yeah:

But God, the mission to get the licence was Hell. Had me traipsing all over the countryside finding dumb collectibles and messing around with the mining/research probe phone game.

Can anyone confirm if the mechs become obsolete eventually? If so that sucks, I'd rather outfit everyone with a mech and keep using those forever.

Duraframe300

Arcane

But God, the mission to get the licence was Hell. Had me traipsing all over the countryside finding dumb collectibles and messing around with the mining/research probe phone game.

Can anyone confirm if the mechs become obsolete eventually? If so that sucks, I'd rather outfit everyone with a mech and keep using those forever.

They do not become obsolete (you need them for some battles even) but ground combat outplays them. (Is also much better. mech combat kinda sucks, hope they improve that in the next game) I also like wandering around on foot way more than with the mech. Enemies/Scale/World is much more impressive.

Gotta say when I got that mission I immediatly fulfilled 2 of the missions, only needed one collectible and only really had to beat the battle missions. Was done with it in like 15-20 minutes.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
They do not become obsolete (you need them for some battles even) but ground combat outplays them. (Is also much better. mech combat kinda sucks, hope they improve that in the next game) I also like wandering around on foot way more than with the mech. Enemies/Scale/World is much more impressive.

Gotta say when I got that mission I immediatly fulfilled 2 of the missions, only needed one collectible and only really had to beat the battle missions. Was done with it in like 15-20 minutes.

That's disappointing to hear. What about the mech combat makes it suck? I've been playing around with the first mech for a few hours and it doesn't seem that different from ground combat apart from arts coming from upgrades rather than training.

Also, I just found that you need to be level 30 to buy additional mechs, and I'm only level 25. :rage: It's pretty funny watching my poor squad members desperately sprint after me as I walk around in my mech, though.

Avellion

Erudite

Mechs are viable provided you keep their gear up to date. One good place to get mech components early on is a Ganglion base in Sylvarium. Found 2 orange shoulder weapons there that would let me more or less instagib most enemies with a single AoE attack. But I agree with the others that the gameplay is far inferior to the ground combat. Later on, you can find some absurdly overpowered weapons for them.

Jinn

Arcane
So I finally was able to give this one a go.

I never expected for this to grab my attention so thoroughly, but it really is so interesting and unique in many ways. Only about 5 hours in and definitely didn't want to stop for the night, but sleep calls. The main thing that has its hooks in me is the excellent sense of exploration and danger to be found in this wonderfully constructed alien landscape. Variety in classes and playstyles seems like it'll be an addictive aspect as well. And say what you will about the combat, but I find it to be great fun, with a lot potential. There also just seems to be a ton of love put into XC X as a whole.

Mainly just wanted to see if anyone else has given this a try recently, or in the past couple years. I look forward to playing much more.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I played it for a few minutes some weeks ago, on Cemu build 1.11 I think. It was fun, but I decided to shelve it in order to play the Wii one instead (the original), as everyone says it's much better.

Jinn

Arcane
I played it for a few minutes some weeks ago, on Cemu build 1.11 I think. It was fun, but I decided to shelve it in order to play the Wii one instead (the original), as everyone says it's much better.

They both have their appealing aspects. I actually find the gameplay in X to be much more satisfying and in-depth than Xenoblade Chronicles'. However, I've been playing the first one recently as well (shelved X due to some minor texture issues for now, despite my intense craving for it) and have found it to be a lot of fun too, and actually surprisingly challenging when avoiding grinding. For instance, I refuse to take most sidequests that grant XP in addition to money and engage monsters only when they attack while exploring. Makes for a much more enjoyable time overall. It seems to me a lot of the complaints of the game being way too easy come from those who couldn't stand to pass up any of the sidequests, which is fair, but easy to avoid by not doing a few of them along the way. Besides all that, love the exploration and the world design in both the games. They both definitely seem worth a full playthrough.

Perkel

Arcane
New CEMU 1.15.1 seems like finally made XCX completely playable without any crashes and other bullshit like glitches etc.
With my rig 3570k@4,5Ghz+gtx980+8Gb i am playing full speed 95% of the time with some small dips in town.
There is still sound issue where music plays to quiet but you can download file and move it to game folder which fixes it.

10 hours in and so far my impressions:

BAD:
- music, i can't even describe how fucking generic and painfully bad it is. NLA theme is by far the worst piece of ost i have ever heard in any game. Rest of music isn't any better. I am currently downloading music mod that replaces tunes from Xenoblade1. Serious fuck xcx music. Such downgrade from xc1.
- fetch quests. XC1 had a lot of those but XCX seems to have even more of them.
- battle system is confusing as fuck and sometimes non sensical. Like soul voices that heals you when you do qte but those seem to activate randomly instead of 100% of time like description says. Also in order to heal properly someone with sv you need to do action when he says something with corresponding color. If he does melee then you need to use melee skill.
- let us say characters so far are not strong part of game. They are either generic or complete trope. NPCs have way more character than main squad.
- faces. XC1 characters had "weird" faces but xcx are "fucking weird", you can get used to it but first impression hurts.
- fuck the camera. Even at max sensitivity it is unwieldy piece of shit and in places like barracks it makes you scream in pain how sloooooooow it is. Who designed this shit ?

GOOD
- the best open world vistas. XC1 had few of those but XCX just goes into overdrive
- sense of scale, i am pretty sure you could fit whole skyrim map on small part of any of continents.
- animals are fucking awesome.
- breaking parts of monsters. didn't expect that and it is fun.
- combat leaving aside weird stuff like sv is actually pretty nice and you can do more stuff in it than in XC1. Right now i am rolling with high damage randged character with rail gun and i like it. Each class seems to have their own thing going for it.
- initial setup for plot and whole exploration aspect is interesting, it feels fresh.

SUMMARY:
They took best aspects of XC1 and went to 11 with them. At the same time they didn't fix XC1 issues and made some stuff worse like music. Usually i very much hate fetch quests but exploration aspect and pretty vistas keeps me rolling.
Chapter 4.

So far i like it. I expected fetch quest heavy game and i got it but the suprise here is that exploration is so good that i ignored my hate for them and i just went along and so far it plays fine. Though i need to replace music. Music fucking sucks.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom